IT.COM

Have you hugged your WHOIS privacy provider today?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you use WHOIS privacy and count on it to protect your privacy?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Many registrars provide WHOIS privacy services. I won't name ours because that would be promotional, strictly forbidden by Namepros moderators and severely punished! However, I do simply want to acknowledge that running a compliant WHOIS privacy proxy services in 2019 is a bunch of work, especially if a UDRP action is involved. This case reveals a changing tone on privacy.

I am attaching a procedural document from a WIPO panelist who is giving me a hard time in a case where the respondent asked me to dump their domain. It now happens routinely that a complainant's counsel won't simply accept the domain name, but rather will turn the matter into a drawn-out case with multiple interrogatories, wasting everyone's time for a domain that the complainant would prefer to hand over.

In this particular case, the registrant had previously advised us that he was not interested in defending a UDRP on his domains, which in this case was one domain in a large portfolio of .CO domains. So, in the interest of pragmatism, we sought to settle the matter. In the process, we would save the complainant some fees. Win-win and less work in the end. So, did that work out? Nope!

WHOIS privacy compliance is getting harder and harder. The active discussions at ICANN, including this week in Montreal, further reinforce the direction that Law Enforcement and Regulatory authorities want, which is to be able to pierce the privacy veil whenever they darned well please. I have an issue with that and have stated my position without equivocation in the ICANN Registrar Stakeholder Group.

Nevertheless, the policy changes with RDAP march forward, and it is rapidly approaching a foregone conclusion that a pillar of online privacy is being toppled right now in the closing months of 2019.

Our WHOIS privacy service which shall not be named is in fact an ICANN compliant WHOIS privacy proxy. It is a separate legal entity set up for the express purpose of serving as an ownership proxy for the registrant. From a legal perspective, the WHOIS privacy proxy is the registrant's agent.

All this said, I have been unequivocal that at Epik we do not protect people who are engaged in criminality. If there is a court order, we comply. Beyond that, we have openly stated that known criminality is not operating in a protected class at Epik. The job of discernment is not an easy one but it is comes with the territory. So, make sure to hug your WHOIS privacy provider. They have your back more than you know!

Attachments

• Procedural Order No. 1.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sometimes I want to know who owns the domain & seeing the privacy provider annoys me.

•••
I doubt registrars are selling your info.

What can happen is that you buy a domain and the domain is briefly in your name and then your privacy proxy is overlaid.

Also, some registrars force you to de-cloak before you can transfer out as if removing anonymity should be some requirement to change registrars. That would be nonsense.

At Epik, privacy is enabled by default and it is easy and free to add and remove at will. If you use privacy, there is a forwarding email address.

We have a RDAP solution coming online that will still use privacy, so that means that the registrant data we will publish even through RDAP will be the legal entity on record, which can be Anonymize, Inc.

I am not sure which other registrars are holding the line on registrant privacy with RDAP. I bet not many.
Thanks @Rob Monster . I just crossed you and Epik off my list of suspects. :)

•••
Thanks @Rob Monster . I just crossed you and Epik off my list of suspects. :)

Check the emails you are getting. The can come through the privacy proxy, e.g. [email protected]. We do spam-filter, but some stuff does go through. However, we don't publish your stuff without permission, and that was even well before GDPR blew through.

•••
Check the emails you are getting. The can come through the privacy proxy, e.g. [email protected]. We do spam-filter, but some stuff does go through. However, we don't publish your stuff without permission, and that was even well before GDPR blew through.
It's the phone calls.

•••
It's the phone calls.

Definitely not us. I get them too. I mark their phone numbers as spam -- they mostly use the same numbers so it is easy to ignore them. Same with the other scam callers -- they don't have that many phone numbers.

•••
just reg'd some .o's

can't add them to my hosting account

how do I add content?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I have my own whois site so i look like a boss as i do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back