IT.COM

Has anyone filed a chargeback against Snapnames?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've been a customer for over a decade. As you all probably know, they are famous for catching domains at the world's worst registrars, but they have always at least let you transfer away after 60 days, as required by ICANN.

This time they seem to be refusing. They caught a domain for me 77 days ago, and the registrar says they get to keep it until June because "One company acquired another company".

I wasn't told about that, I didn't approve of that, and frankly I don't care. The ICANN rules say I can transfer out after 60 days, and that's what I want to to do. That what I PAID Snapnames for.

So, it looks like I need to file a chargeback against Snapnames. Has anyone done that? Do they cancel your account? Do they place locks on any other domains waiting for their 60 days?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not sure sure this is the right way to do it. Snapnames delivered their part of the deal.
I would simply raise a ticket with Icann to put the pressure on the registrar.
But maybe you should contact Snapnames first (if you didn't already).
Chargebacks are usually treated as fraud, so you should expect that your account and future bidding privileges will be affected.

•••
•••
Yeah, what Kate said, definitely fight back, play hardball with the registrar and with snapnames for using them, but don't play loosing chess with a rookie move.

•••
I've been a customer for over a decade. As you all probably know, they are famous for catching domains at the world's worst registrars, but they have always at least let you transfer away after 60 days, as required by ICANN.

This time they seem to be refusing. They caught a domain for me 77 days ago, and the registrar says they get to keep it until June because "One company acquired another company".

I wasn't told about that, I didn't approve of that, and frankly I don't care. The ICANN rules say I can transfer out after 60 days, and that's what I want to to do. That what I PAID Snapnames for.

So, it looks like I need to file a chargeback against Snapnames. Has anyone done that? Do they cancel your account? Do they place locks on any other domains waiting for their 60 days?

Thanks!
You have to read their TOS, but freezing your account would be certain if you filed a chargeback.

You are best to wait out the two months, and not do business with them again.

•••
Yes, but the 2 months can then be changed to 4 months, then 6 months. It they feel safe in violating the rules once, there is nothing to stop them from doing it again and again.

•••
Back