discuss Happy 50th Birthday Internet!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Still have the 28.8 kBPS dial up modem sound nightmares :xf.grin:

•••
WooHoo
homer-doh-meme-5.png

•••
Ohhhhhhh, now I bet that makes us all feel old :xf.eek:

•••
•••
•••
Ohhhhhhh, now I bet that makes us all feel old
Probably not all of us, but those of us who remember pre-Internet days! (such as me :xf.wink:)

I remember using punch cards. I remember doing computer programming by submitting batches of punched cards to wait a half hour to find out you had a syntax error. I remember when email started. I used 8 inch floppies (ironically the US military missile control just abandoned them this month I think, really!). Yes I remember dialup, not so long ago it seems. I bought a computer with a 4M memory. I remember when you ordered computers in kits you put together yourself. I remember an audio cassette as the computer storage system. It has been quite the ride! I think we were more patient in those days. Maybe a good thing.

Thanks for reminding us of the anniversary, @Silentptnr

Happy anniversary everyone!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Bob for taking us down the memory lane. Internet is a blessing for humanity. I can't imagine waiting for weeks if not months before getting mails.

•••
Some of the first stories on the internet are interesting:

Last edited:
•••
I remember using punch cards. I remember doing computer programming by submitting batches of punched cards to wait a half hour to find out you had a syntax error.

Yes, I took a Cobol class in college and spent a whole summer in the computer lab trying to get my programs to run.

•••
I am using it for 15-20 years, my first pc was in fact a laptop with a Pentium 2 processor.

Happy birthday internet.

•••
Yes, the nostalgic memories come back - Commodore 64, TV used as monitor, Joystick controller, etc...
@Silentptnr Thanks for this reminder! :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back