Dynadot

.mobi Hang onto or sell? It's my best dotMobi.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I acquired DMV.mobi through a pool.com auction. I paid a decent amount for it and was offered a low price today through Sedo. I countered for close to the minimum I really want to get out of it at this point. I feel it is worth, right now, at least $5000. I received a counter back for slightly more than what I paid for it after the Sedo 10% fees. I believe it is my best dotMobi and the one I've received the most interest in so far. I think I am going to be firm with my $5000 asking price but just wanted to get some feedback first. Do you think this one is premium enough that it is worth hanging onto or is it one you would let go of now? Thanks for your opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think since you're getting offers on the darn thing, hold onto it. It'll only be worth more to those people later on. If you let it go for close to what you paid, you're cheating yourself out of $$$ in the future.(unless you need the bread right now of course!)

•••
I think .mobi's are going to be quite valuable between 2-5 years from now. Hold on to it!

•••
Can I ask what DMV relates to in the world of mobiles?

*pardon my ignorance*

•••
Department of Motor Vehicles :O nice grab

•••
For most folks, picking up few .mobi's at 80 bucks a pop (pre-reg), are taking minimal risks because they (incl. me) are hoping that some will be successful and some may not be so successful.

You on the other hand, bought it at the x,xxx level which increases your risk premium quite a bit (especially if this is the only domain name).

Take a look at your finances to see if you can afford to keep this "high-maintenance" beauty. If the thought of possibly losing your investment keeps you up at night, try to negotiate with potential buyers for some extra $$'s and get rid of it and get some dotMobi's at reg fee.

Life is too short to worry about such things.

cheers,
kev

•••
If You Sell That Domain Right Now For That, The Domain Gods Will Hunt You Down And Make You Do Terrible Things Like Reg "ididntknowwhatthehelliwasthinkingwhenisoldthatdomainnameforsocheap-imanidiotwhenwillilearn.org"

•••
DMV could possibly stand for something else ...

Digital Music Videos
Dance Music Videos
Download My Videos

There are just a few ideas .. its a great name and I would hold on to it personally

•••
You didn't say what the offer is - if it is under $1500 the Sedo fee is currently $150. minimum. Hopefully that will change soon.

•••
Ok, I didn't want to say anything for sure until this process ended. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm so relieved that the bidder at Sedo turned down my last counter offer. As soon as I countered, I regretted it. I would have made some money but, like I said, this is my best .mobi and the one I should sit on until I get $xxxxx for it. The guy bidding doesn't realize the opportunity he just passed on. I would have followed through with the sale but would've regretted it forever. Thanks for all the input and validating how I already felt. You guys are great! :)

•••
Hello inetanywhere,

This is my first post to this board although I have been lurking around for a while.

Thought I might chime in as I have first hand knowledge of the "deal".

I was the bidder on sedo. I cancelled negotiations because I didn't feel that I was passing on a great opportunity ...at that price. Respectfully, the price you wanted is just a bit ahead of the market. If supply was tight on .mobi, the end result might have been different. As it is now, I can still (and did) hand register keyword domains with up to half the overture count as dmv.mobi & higher ppc bid prices ...for $30.

It's a great name & I wish you well with it. The advice in the above posts is sound. You can turn a nice profit on the name if prepared to hold until the right buyer comes along. FWIW, you might contact the owner of dmv.org as a possible buyer. I am quite certain they could afford it.

Best Regards

•••
compubahn,
Thanks for the post. The following is just an opinion and not meant to cause any offense... In the future when you are interested in buying a domain, you may want to contact a seller directly using the WhoIs info. If the seller can save by not having to pay Sedo, Afternic, etc then they can probably give you a better deal (especially on higher value domains). Also, the buyer and seller then can freely communicate and negotiate. You can always use Sedo or someone else for the Escrow if you are concerned about the transaction. Best of luck to you and welcome to Namepros!

•••
what exactly did you pay?

•••
inetanywhere said:
compubahn,
Thanks for the post. The following is just an opinion and not meant to cause any offense... In the future when you are interested in buying a domain, you may want to contact a seller directly using the WhoIs info. If the seller can save by not having to pay Sedo, Afternic, etc then they can probably give you a better deal (especially on higher value domains). Also, the buyer and seller then can freely communicate and negotiate. You can always use Sedo or someone else for the Escrow if you are concerned about the transaction. Best of luck to you and welcome to Namepros!

No offense taken. However, I would always use escrow for transaction values into the thousands ... & anonymous bidding can have it's advantages. I saved 12k on a recent purchase by letting the seller "stew" on my anonymous offer for 6 days. Communication might have tipped my hand (perfect name) & could have blown the deal in that case. Guess it depends.

Thanks for the welcome. Good to be here!

compubahn

•••
compubahn,
I guess there are many ways to do things, just depends on the buyer and seller. Personally, I'd rather the buyer contact me directly so I can avoid the Sedo 10%, but I get your point of view. As far as the waiting, that can backfire too (it did for me once since the domain went to another buyer), so it just depends. Thanks for the feedback. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back