IT.COM

Handregs that someone grabbed minutes before you

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Have you been in a situation when you sit down to do some research to find good handregs, find a few good names, then you go look where you can register them for less at the moment, put the names into the registrar and find out someone has already registered the name, the name you thought was going to be yours.

Mine is TokenDoctor.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This used to happen a bit for me, and Irealised that I was losing the best names, and getting the also-runs. I changed my tactic. I register the name on first sight, and then do the research. If I don't like it, I try to sell it for $10. If you host the name, then you can taste the traffic as well.

The other cliff hanger is waiting to bid in the expired dutch auctions. I've lost a few by hanging on to see if I could get the name for $1. :)

•••
This used to happen a bit for me, and Irealised that I was losing the best names, and getting the also-runs. I changed my tactic. I register the name on first sight, and then do the research. If I don't like it, I try to sell it for $10. If you host the name, then you can taste the traffic as well.

The other cliff hanger is waiting to bid in the expired dutch auctions. I've lost a few by hanging on to see if I could get the name for $1. :)

Why the dutch? As i am one haha.
I really think your search data is watched and when the registrar or someone sees it and thinks hmm nice name that they regg it.

•••
A Dutch auction is a dropping price auction. It is the best way to get a good price in an auction if there is only one potential bidder. I gather it is used a lot in the flower sales in Holland, and it can be combined with the sale of multiple lots. This is what led Ebay to the false idea that a "Dutch auction" is the sale of multiple lots.

•••
Register it and if you don't like it cancel it within 5 days with a grace delete.

•••
•••
I really think your search data is watched and when the registrar or someone sees it and thinks hmm nice name that they regg it
I feel sure this happens with some registrars if you don't reg it straight away. I read on one registrar's website that they absolutely don't do it as a matter of principle. They had a term for it which I can't remember (nor the registrar).

EDIT: It was 123-reg. The term was 'Front Running'. From their website;
NO Domain Front Running
Front Running is when registrars keep a record of searches for potentially attractive domains which they then buy to attempt to sell them to an interested party at a premium rate. We never have and never will use such underhanded tactics.

Last edited:
•••
I feel sure this happens with some registrars if you don't reg it straight away. I read on one registrar's website that they absolutely don't do it as a matter of principle. They had a term for it which I can't remember (nor the registrar).

I think the term is "Domain Name Front Running (DNFR)"

•••
Have you been in a situation when you sit down to do some research to find good handregs, find a few good names, then you go look where you can register them for less at the moment, put the names into the registrar and find out someone has already registered the name, the name you thought was going to be yours.

All the time!

I'm sure it has happened over a hundred times over the years...happened just last night. Woke up in the middle of the night and a name appeared to me...went to the comp, made sure it was available, looked for end users, planned what I was going to do with the xxxx profit I was going to make, went to tinkle (when you gotta go, you gotta go), clicked the buy it now and wham...some other insomniac beat me to it.

•••
If you doubt it or don't trust it check it through whois first just to secure yourself before you take it through the registrars mill

•••
Happened to me many times. Yeah, someone is reading cookies

•••
CryptocoinToken.com was on my list, and grabbed by someone in October.

•••
Happened to me recently.
It was from expired list.
Maybe i missed by a few minutes.
The new onwer of the dn is a member of this forum too :smuggrin:

•••
in some cases,
you can receive a "domain available" when it is not,
it happened to me several times,
and when you check the whois, you find that the domain was registered months ago

i think this happen, when some domain are listed on some marketplace for sale,
and there are some bugs with registrar telling you is this available to handreg,
when it is available as a premium sale on marketplace

•••
in some cases,
you can receive a "domain available" when it is not,
it happened to me several times,
and when you check the whois, you find that the domain was registered months ago

i think this happen, when some domain are listed on some marketplace for sale,
and there are some bugs with registrar telling you is this available to handreg,
when it is available as a premium sale on marketplace
This is a different case and most probably with Godaddy but we are talking about the domains that are available to handreg or closeout domains.

As you know, we do some research before purchasing the domain once domain added to cart. Someone is so intelligent to read cart / browser cookies and snap the name before we proceed to payment.

•••
This is a different case and most probably with Godaddy but we are talking about the domains that are available to handreg or closeout domains.

As you know, we do some research before purchasing the domain once domain added to cart. Someone is so intelligent to read cart / browser cookies and snap the name before we proceed to payment.

i had the case several time at name . com , i had the domains in the cart and was ready to pay,
and only in the last step in the process, name tell me that the domains aren't available
and they were registered for months

•••
Yeah, might be. I'm not sure about name.com and I occasionally purchase the domains from Name.com and I'm not aware about this. Thanks for the info.

•••
i had the domains in the cart and was ready to pay, and only in the last step in the process, name tell me that the domains aren't available and they were registered for months
I've had this before with names that it turns out have been registered for years. In cases like this I think it's a mistake at the registrar in showing them as available when they're not.

•••
it happened at godaddy Bulk in the past, but usually you get the premium price in your cart

godaddy fixed that now, when you search using bulk,
they separate the available domains in 2 groups "handreg"and "premium"

•••
pcrypto
hcrypto
rcrypto
cncrypto used to be on my to reg list......

•••
Everything happens for a reason....

Most likely in the future you will look back and say "what the fuck was i even thinking"?

Its all good.

Let it go.

•••
It happened to me at name.com
The next morning the whois shows the reggs the same night. I wanted to sleep over it to make the decision. I mailed them and of course they say that they don't frontrun. I don't trust any registrar nowadays.

About availability i had a .tv handregged. I paid 40 euros and later they came back that it is 600 euro..took them 30 days to refund my money..Stupid

•••
I don’t type anything in until I am ready to buy and any research is completed. I barely trust my iPad to hold my wishlist let alone the registrars.

•••
Using internic dot net to check availability of pending registrations is always a safe option.

•••
Back