Dynadot

Hand registered domains business model

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EDWARD BYRNE

Established Member
Impact
Is the hand registered model a viable way to make an income in domaining? I'm very new to this platform and from what I've seen so far this model seems to attract less attention than picking up existing domains.
My feeling is, as a novice, buying existing domains is pretty high risk when you don't have the experience to really know what they are worth (unless you're buying expired very cheaply)
.I know the age and back link profile has value - but how much value does that add?
I am intrigued by the process of coming up with names myself and seeing what is available which is what draws me to this model.
I would appreciate some feedback on this topic.
Last question... where could I post a list of some of my HR domains to get some feedback?
I have upgraded to the first tier membership.
Many Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Its about the domain
And your negotiation skills

•••
Welcome to namepros!:xf.smile:

To answer your questions:
Is the hand registered model a viable way to make an income in domaining? I'm very new to this platform and from what I've seen so far this model seems to attract less attention than picking up existing domains.
You will find out very soon or maybe already have that it is hard to handreg some valuable domains, exception is maybe for an emerging market niche,but you have to be ahead some years!
My feeling is, as a novice, buying existing domains is pretty high risk when you don't have the experience to really know what they are worth (unless you're buying expired very cheaply)
Yes, but it is the same or maybe even higher risk to handreg domains!
.I know the age and back link profile has value - but how much value does that add?
Resellers will value it - enduser probably not!
I am intrigued by the process of coming up with names myself and seeing what is available which is what draws me to this model.
Don't handreg until you have educated yourself. Namepros is probably the most valuable source for domainers worldwide!
Last question... where could I post a list of some of my HR domains to get some feedback?
You can post your domains in the appraisals section!

I hope this helps - wish you all the best!:xf.smile:

•••
Edward, you might find this thread helpful as it addresses this question a fair bit.

•••
I don't think it is a sustainable approach.
Sure you can make some money on handregs if you are experienced and know what you're doing. But make a living out of it ?
@Federer may be the only exception I know.

When a domain is available, it usually is for a reason. Ask yourself why nobody picked it for $10 and why they would pay significantly more to buy it from you. Not very likely.

•••
I don't think it is a sustainable approach.
Sure you can make some money on handregs if you are experienced and know what you're doing. But make a living out of it ?
@Federer may be the only exception I know.

When a domain is available, it usually is for a reason. Ask yourself why nobody picked it for $10 and why they would pay significantly more to buy it from you. Not very likely.
I agree with this, however there are some moments when you can hand reg some gold, such as when a new tech/product is in the midst of being released, (for example, when crypto started getting popular, crypto names are selling like candy, and most werent registered more than 2 years ago)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back