Dynadot

strategy Hand Reg Stratagies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I've been hand registering domains for about a year now, and like anything else in life, practice makes for improvement. Recently I've been accumulating domains for the pot industry to include names that represent marijuana, cannabis, hemp, weed, etc. While most of the real good names are gone, one of my strategies is to add high value word to a domain you might like to own. For example, the names Cannabiz.com and HempOil.com were sold, but I was able to add the high value word "express" to each of these names in order to purchase them. So I'm the new prowd owner of CannabizExpress.com and HempOilExpress.com.

This is an example of just one of my strategies, and I'm willing to share more if there's interest. Anyone else have a strategy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In light of the zero cal debate I should also add that if you are going the handreg route, I would advise that you pick names in niches you are familiar with. Otherwise the risk is very high that you will end up with domain names that nobody wants and you can't even use them since it's not an industry you are familiar with. Again, ask yourself why the names are still unregistered in the first place and how you could personally put them to good use. If you don't know, it's unlikely that somebody else will.
#Fact

•••
LOL,
I would not be surprised if someone actually takes you up on that offer.
Someone would definitely:xf.smile::xf.smile:.His offer sounds cool only if the domain will sell at a good price later on.:xf.grin: By the way,I sent you a PM.

•••
But what about your hang reg strategies?
Doc...you'll also be pleased to learn that in order to stay sharp at hand registering domains, I also make it my "strategy" to hand register at least one new domain every day. It cost me the price of lunch (less tip), but I find it keeps me in the game, and besides it's FUN!.......just like adding a little color to "fun"

Here's my hand reg for today, WeedCreation(.)com, and here is how I came up with the name;

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...cannabis-domains.777011/page-487#post-6898795

Doc...I know you're a big fan of mine and I appreciate your participation in this discussion. Have a great week:)

•••
Since the title of this thread does include the word strategy, although much of our discussion has been elsewhere :xf.sick:, I would briefly say this is my hand-reg strategy (still evolving).
  1. I start with the niches that are of interest to me (e.g. in my case science, space, education, biotechnology, materials science, positive psychology, medicine/health, some travel).
  2. Within one of those, I list some words that to me are descriptive, positive, memorable, and catchy in some sense (mainly single words, sometimes two).
  3. I check which extensions are available in the word. I evaluate if that word + extension makes sense. I think in future I will actually set a scale and do this semi-quantitatively.
  4. I look at registration cost, renewal cost, and the history of both using TLD-list, if I don't already know the extension (I mainly consider about 10 extensions which I follow closely).
  5. At this point I do GoValue just to see what it says, and note the comparator sales.
  6. I look in NameBio at both direct and closely similar sales, usually only in com and net, and apply some sort of 1 to 10% factor of com price to what possibly end user ngTLD sale might be.
  7. By this stage if my interest in domain name is still there I add it to the spreadsheet which I keep of potential ideas, including notes, valuations, etc.
  8. I use up one of my free Estibot to get an evvaluation, and note the ad search stats and the CPC for it, and also note if it has made a mistake in the word (e.g. I had ClimateChange and it thought it was broken climat echange!). Add Estibot and date obtained on my spreadsheet.
  9. At some point I do a Google search on the word, both with and without extension. For example, if the word was elephant in the science extension I would do a search on just elephant and one on 'elephant science'. I would look over the first page or two.
  10. I would ask a few friends (non domain) what they think of word. If they seem positive I keep going, and maybe even if negative, but I do take that into account.
  11. If I am almost ready to register, I don't let myself do it until I wait at least 4 or 5 days, being sure I still feel that positively (yes I miss some, and yes I sometimes don't follow this rule). During that time I make a list of who might want the domain name (in a general sense) and think about how I could get them to notice it.
  12. I also during this time think about other unique aspects. Does it make a great domain name phrase? Is it a word that has nice symmetry or repetition - like silence.science or a twist of a common phrase like prospects.top. In Canada, words that are common to French and English appeal to me - like debut. I also like a lot domains I can get for multiple years at a good price.
  13. If I am still positive a few days later, and if I have not exceeded my self imposed diet on new domain registrations for the month, I become a new domain name owner! If I have any lingering doubts though, I hold off. Sometimes I do in end register it, but often my lingering doubts become more serious, or someone takes it, or I find things that interest me more.
  14. Once I have registered it I determine my exit plan. i.e. what is the minimum I would take for it, and if I get no offers will I probably renew it. In the vast majority of cases if I have no interest, or have done nothing effective to promote it, I do not renew it.
My WishList is probably about 15x (I could check exactly if not so lazy) the size of my registered list, meaning even those I look at carefully I usually don't register. My wish list is organized by extension, so if I see a great new promotion I am all set with research already largely done.

I hope this is helpful to someone. It was to me to write up :xf.wink:, so one person at least.

Bob

•••
By the way, not only or perhaps mainly re hand registrations, but a really insightful post from NZ Domainer in his blog post today. I really like how he suggests reading the NameBio domain report, narrowing it down to a more manageable list, and how to evaluate ideas arising from them. The best read in domain investing this week for me. Check it out!

https://nzdomainer.com/2018/09/17/where-does-a-newbie-domainer-start/

•••
Since the title of this thread does include the word strategy, although much of our discussion has been elsewhere :xf.sick:, I would briefly say this is my hand-reg strategy (still evolving).
  1. I start with the niches that are of interest to me (e.g. in my case science, space, education, biotechnology, materials science, positive psychology, medicine/health, some travel).
  2. Within one of those, I list some words that to me are descriptive, positive, memorable, and catchy in some sense (mainly single words, sometimes two).
  3. I check which extensions are available in the word. I evaluate if that word + extension makes sense. I think in future I will actually set a scale and do this semi-quantitatively.
  4. I look at registration cost, renewal cost, and the history of both using TLD-list, if I don't already know the extension (I mainly consider about 10 extensions which I follow closely).
  5. At this point I do GoValue just to see what it says, and note the comparator sales.
  6. I look in NameBio at both direct and closely similar sales, usually only in com and net, and apply some sort of 1 to 10% factor of com price to what possibly end user ngTLD sale might be.
  7. By this stage if my interest in domain name is still there I add it to the spreadsheet which I keep of potential ideas, including notes, valuations, etc.
  8. I use up one of my free Estibot to get an evvaluation, and note the ad search stats and the CPC for it, and also note if it has made a mistake in the word (e.g. I had ClimateChange and it thought it was broken climat echange!). Add Estibot and date obtained on my spreadsheet.
  9. At some point I do a Google search on the word, both with and without extension. For example, if the word was elephant in the science extension I would do a search on just elephant and one on 'elephant science'. I would look over the first page or two.
  10. I would ask a few friends (non domain) what they think of word. If they seem positive I keep going, and maybe even if negative, but I do take that into account.
  11. If I am almost ready to register, I don't let myself do it until I wait at least 4 or 5 days, being sure I still feel that positively (yes I miss some, and yes I sometimes don't follow this rule). During that time I make a list of who might want the domain name (in a general sense) and think about how I could get them to notice it.
  12. I also during this time think about other unique aspects. Does it make a great domain name phrase? Is it a word that has nice symmetry or repetition - like silence.science or a twist of a common phrase like prospects.top. In Canada, words that are common to French and English appeal to me - like debut. I also like a lot domains I can get for multiple years at a good price.
  13. If I am still positive a few days later, and if I have not exceeded my self imposed diet on new domain registrations for the month, I become a new domain name owner! If I have any lingering doubts though, I hold off. Sometimes I do in end register it, but often my lingering doubts become more serious, or someone takes it, or I find things that interest me more.
  14. Once I have registered it I determine my exit plan. i.e. what is the minimum I would take for it, and if I get no offers will I probably renew it. In the vast majority of cases if I have no interest, or have done nothing effective to promote it, I do not renew it.
My WishList is probably about 15x (I could check exactly if not so lazy) the size of my registered list, meaning even those I look at carefully I usually don't register. My wish list is organized by extension, so if I see a great new promotion I am all set with research already largely done.

I hope this is helpful to someone. It was to me to write up :xf.wink:, so one person at least.

Bob

Bob....this was "Incredible", one of our favorite descriptive adjectives. There isn't much more I can add, but its advice like this that will bring out the best in others interested in domaining, and especially those who are creative. You may very well be the second greatest guy I've "never" met, and the best guy I've "never" met is Rob Monster of Epik. About Rob from Domain Name Wire: https://domainnamewire.com/2018/09/17/rob-monster-exits-digitaltown-george-nagy-takes-over-ceo-role/

Thanks Bob

•••
I think Hand regs are awesome in a niche market like Marijuana. I have quite a few myself. :) When it comes to brandables if you are creative, which I am sure you are then the sky is the limit. btw I own cannabizclub dot com

•••
If I am almost ready to register, I don't let myself do it until I wait at least 4 or 5 days, being sure I still feel that positively (yes I miss some, and yes I sometimes don't follow this rule).

I don't wait that much, maybe two days. And sometimes I lose interest but I still keep them in a list. I actually shared a list of my almost regged domains on NP. Might not register them but would still like to see if they ever get regged and developed. Kind of helps me see if I had the right approach.

Only disagree on the point where you mentioned you focus on niches that are of most interest to you. I prefer going for niches that are trending and have a wide market which is not saturated yet. You can always be biased to names that interest you as an individual. Also, I would always prefer a .Com over any other extension no matter how descriptive it can be. But it is just me.

Very informative and solid piece of advice you posted there @MetBob, couldn't have written it any better. We can call it HandReg101! Saves lots of money for some handreggers if they use it I'm sure.

•••
I don't wait that much, maybe two days. And sometimes I lose interest but I still keep them in a list. I actually shared a list of my almost regged domains on NP. Might not register them but would still like to see if they ever get regged and developed. Kind of helps me see if I had the right approach.

Only disagree on the point where you mentioned you focus on niches that are of most interest to you. I prefer going for niches that are trending and have a wide market which is not saturated yet. You can always be biased to names that interest you as an individual. Also, I would always prefer a .Com over any other extension no matter how descriptive it can be. But it is just me.

Very informative and solid piece of advice you posted there @MetBob, couldn't have written it any better. We can call it HandReg101! Saves lots of money for some handreggers if they use it I'm sure.

Instead of HandReg101 maybe it should be AdvancedHandReg:xf.wink: I'm like Bob in that I focus on industries and topics I'm most familiar with like the financial services, healthcare, business, real estate, and some retail (bricks and mortar and online) and golf since I've played it since I was 10 some 60 years ago. I did stray from my strategy a few weeks ago and started registering Marijuana/Cannabis/Hemp/Weed/Leaf etc. names. They're mostly .coms with a few exceptions like hemp.fan and hash.golf. I've registered three today: weedcreation(.)com, CannaFigs(.)com, LeafScents(.)com.

Unlike Bob, when I come up with a name I like, I buy it. Most all names I reg, I ask myself, would this be a good/decent name for my own business. When my marketplace is finally up and running, I think this will help me to close domain deals to end users. When you combine that with industry appraisals for both buying and selling domains the sales will follow.

Thanks for sharing Ja Ha.....looks like the colluder's have taken off for the day. Maybe they're hand regging like crazy:ROFL:

•••
looks like the colluder's have taken off for the day. Maybe they're hand regging like crazy:ROFL:

It is 9:15 am here in Sydney, motivated by my latest approved name on BB, I am gathering a list of some potential buyers while reading a bit on domain selling. No hand regs for me until I sell some of my names or else I'd sit on hundreds of names in no time! Not gonna lie I still randomly check for availability of some names I come up with but I keep them in my "maybe list". Cheers!

•••
Thanks Joe....in the case of "Express" GD identifies it as a popular key word, and it's actually a nTLD extension that's recognized as a high value word.

GD identifies " I " as a popular keyword too

•••
•••
Thanks Frank...." I " am popular:xf.wink: Now break out that German sense of humor:xf.laugh:

don't be silly
everybody and their grandparents
know
they germans lack humor
ähh..
don't have any humor

•••
I think Hand regs are awesome in a niche market like Marijuana. I have quite a few myself. :) When it comes to brandables if you are creative, which I am sure you are then the sky is the limit. btw I own cannabizclub dot com
Got your pm on Pot Domains...I'll check it out and maybe list a few with them. Thanks

•••
Thanks Frank...." I " am popular:xf.wink: Now break out that German sense of humor:xf.laugh:

is humor helping when it comes to sell domain name
guess: not so much
that's why we germans have a clear advantage

•••
is humor helping when it comes to sell domain name
guess: not so much
that's why we germans have a clear advantage
Good Question Frank.....i just checked to see if the domain HumorSells(.)com was available, but it wasn't. In all seriousness, good humor sells:xf.smile:, but bad humor is definitely a turn off:xf.frown:. I'm still relatively new to the domain industry, and still learning the ropes so to speak. I've found that if a buyer likes you for whatever reason, they'll typically buy from you. Some of my favorite people in life have what is called a "dry" sense of humor......it's subtle and sometimes subliminal. I sense that you have a dry sense of humor Frank, but not everyone gets it. So how do you get people to like you via the internet or the phone? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the picture image we use for our NamePros profile is no different. You have a helluva grin Frank, and I see that as a good thing. While I generally use my personal picture on social media, I decided to use the picture of my nieces bulldog Biscuit for my NamePros profile because Biscuit is so damn cute....besides, everyone luvs a cute puppy. Biscuit is my companies mascot, and if I can't sell domains, Biscuit can. That's all I got for today Frank...remember, Laughter is the Best Medicine:ROFL:

•••
Good Question Frank.....i just checked to see if the domain HumorSells(.)com was available, but it wasn't. In all seriousness, good humor sells:xf.smile:, but bad humor is definitely a turn off:xf.frown:. I'm still relatively new to the domain industry, and still learning the ropes so to speak. I've found that if a buyer likes you for whatever reason, they'll typically buy from you. Some of my favorite people in life have what is called a "dry" sense of humor......it's subtle and sometimes subliminal. I sense that you have a dry sense of humor Frank, but not everyone gets it. So how do you get people to like you via the internet or the phone? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the picture image we use for our NamePros profile is no different. You have a helluva grin Frank, and I see that as a good thing. While I generally use my personal picture on social media, I decided to use the picture of my nieces bulldog Biscuit for my NamePros profile because Biscuit is so damn cute....besides, everyone luvs a cute puppy. Biscuit is my companies mascot, and if I can't sell domains, Biscuit can. That's all I got for today Frank...remember, Laughter is the Best Medicine:ROFL:

it's just the picture where the automated face recognition systems will have a the most hard time with

•••
Rich, my sales skills/knowledge are pretty basic, so my hand registrations have always been limited to domains that represent products and services that are the primary offerings of my potential buyers. This way I don't need to rely on creating a demand, since my domains should already hold some inherent value (if the businesses I approach understand that value).

What I have learned about sales technique is that the most effective strategy (to selling to people who aren't looking for your product) is to first identify a need/problem of your client, and then to show them how your product/service can fix that problem.

With that in mind, and as an experienced salesman, what techniques do/will you employ to convince potential buyers that they need the domain names you're offering?

•••
Rich, my sales skills/knowledge are pretty basic, so my hand registrations have always been limited to domains that represent products and services that are the primary offerings of my potential buyers. This way I don't need to rely on creating a demand, since my domains should already hold some inherent value (if the businesses I approach understand that value).

What I have learned about sales technique is that the most effective strategy (to selling to people who aren't looking for your product) is to first identify a need/problem of your client, and then to show them how your product/service can fix that problem.

With that in mind, and as an experienced salesman, what techniques do/will you employ to convince potential buyers that they need the domain names you're offering?
Another very good question Joe....as I'm sure you know, every sale is different, but there are certain sales/closing techniques that work better than others. However, there are some very basic techniques that most all good sales people know and use as part of their pitch....oops the wife just said I need finish a honeydue that I promised, so I'll have to continue this later...sorry:xf.frown:

•••

Joe...this is a continuation from my previous answer to your question. Because I've started and named so many businesses over the years, I'm able to point to names like Credit Control Corporation, Contact USA, Inquisitor Investigations etc. to show a potential buyer my experience in business. Once I gain a little credibility, I'll share general information about this industry and how there are over 140 domains that have sold for over a million dollars...at which time I'll give them a list for proof. I'll even show them the domain that I registered September 1, 2001 "MakeSomethingHappen" that now appraises at GD for $2,922.

It's also important that I learn enough about the "end users" business that I'm able to identify some of their hot buttons. I have plenty of options to include the end user paying over time. I also have an option for an end user to actually own a small piece of my company if he/she pays the full price I'm asking. Another plan I can offer is for a domain investor to buy a domain from me at a certain price, and then I will try to sell it for him/her for a 15 to 20% commission.

Joe...you need to somehow gain credibility with the buyer. You've been in this business a lot longer than me, and you should market your strengths to the best of your ability.

Actual closing techniques are a dime a dozen, but if you play your cards right and they like you, you'll close a lot of deals.

Good Luck Joe!

•••
Joe...this is a continuation from my previous answer to your question. Because I've started and named so many businesses over the years, I'm able to point to names like Credit Control Corporation, Contact USA, Inquisitor Investigations etc. to show a potential buyer my experience in business. Once I gain a little credibility, I'll share general information about this industry and how there are over 140 domains that have sold for over a million dollars...at which time I'll give them a list for proof. I'll even show them the domain that I registered September 1, 2001 "MakeSomethingHappen" that now appraises at GD for $2,922.

It's also important that I learn enough about the "end users" business that I'm able to identify some of their hot buttons. I have plenty of options to include the end user paying over time. I also have an option for an end user to actually own a small piece of my company if he/she pays the full price I'm asking. Another plan I can offer is for a domain investor to buy a domain from me at a certain price, and then I will try to sell it for him/her for a 15 to 20% commission.

Joe...you need to somehow gain credibility with the buyer. You've been in this business a lot longer than me, and you should market your strengths to the best of your ability.

Actual closing techniques are a dime a dozen, but if you play your cards right and they like you, you'll close a lot of deals.

Good Luck Joe!
Thanks Rich.

I'm starting to get a sense of your general strategy, but I suppose I'm interested in the specifics of what it would look like to actually sell one of the names to an existing business.

Let's take IncredibleMilk. Say I have a business in the dairy industry, with an active website.

I learn from you that Home.Loans sold for six figures, and that Cars.com sold for seven figures. I learn about the businesses you personally named. I learn about the value that GoDaddy has assigned to the domain name you're selling.

Now, where is the link that makes me want to buy IncredibleMilk? What problem is it solving for my business?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Rich.

I'm starting to get a sense of your general strategy, but I suppose I'm interested in the specifics of what it would look like to actually sell one of the names to an existing business.

Let's take IncredibleMilk. Say I have a business in the dairy industry, with an active website.

I learn from you that Home.Loans sold for six figures, and that Cars.com sold for seven figures. I learn about the businesses you personally named. I learn about the value that GoDaddy has assigned to the domain name you're selling.

Now, where is the link that makes me want to buy IncredibleMilk? What problem is it solving for my business?

Yep. That is the difference between business theory and business reality.
Some people just talk about selling domains, some people actually sell domains.

Brad

•••
I have a weekly avail list I post under the "available domains" section of NamePros. Using my experience in selling over $25K worth of domains I make lists of some of the best "hand regs" you can get imo. I often have one word and two word domains and I only post .com, .net, and .org domains. The best part is it's entirely free. Find a name you like and reg it at reg price at any registrar you like. Examples of some names I've researched are Autorenewing.com, Denials.org, Reaccepts.com, Inhabits.org, BowlingAlleys.net and more. I make no guarantees but these hand reg's might offer you a decent shot at finding an end buyer who will pay $xxx for some if you're lucky. Link to thread I also recommend checking out other people's avail lists here on NP, it's here to help everyone out. (y)

•••
Some software from DomainPunch could be great for this.

They have a product that helps you import suffixes and prefixes with one click so you can easily create large lists of domains which it will then scan.

You can also then identify redemption or pending delete domains from the same list, see if there are some good ones for sale etc. (from the dns.)

So the strategy is to get your list of suffixes and prefixes for the software. I can't recall the exact product on domainpunch perhaps someone from the community knows it.

Personally I prefer the droplists than fresh domains unless it's a new industry or area.

•••
only if you have marijuana.com, cannabis.com, hemp.com, weed.com. I see so weak that market

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back