IT.COM

strategy Hand Reg Stratagies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I've been hand registering domains for about a year now, and like anything else in life, practice makes for improvement. Recently I've been accumulating domains for the pot industry to include names that represent marijuana, cannabis, hemp, weed, etc. While most of the real good names are gone, one of my strategies is to add high value word to a domain you might like to own. For example, the names Cannabiz.com and HempOil.com were sold, but I was able to add the high value word "express" to each of these names in order to purchase them. So I'm the new prowd owner of CannabizExpress.com and HempOilExpress.com.

This is an example of just one of my strategies, and I'm willing to share more if there's interest. Anyone else have a strategy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So much sense in what @MapleDots just posted. Among the many parts that really resonate with me is that niches can and do work (although it may take time) and that approaches that work for one person probably will not work for others.

While scraps may have negative connotations, the point that the industry is large enough for both com and other extensions to survive and even thrive is certainly true. The new extensions can grow the domain industry in new areas where com is not well suited (e.g. NGOs, nonprofits, phrases, etc.) in my opinion, so it is never a zero sum game.

I think NP's should make the following a universal golden rule for everyone. We should give respect to those who are taking a different path than the one we believe in / follow / works for us.

I have a GOLDEN rule and that is I NEVER NEVER make fun of anyone's portfolio because for some people it is their livelihood or a last kick at the can.

Thanks so much, @MapleDots. There should be a thread just for giving thanks! Oh there is a thread for that! :xf.wink:

Bob

Last edited:
•••
$188 sale - $171 after VAT, reg fee $5.99 at Namesilo, and here again, a domain i was going to drop because i didn't really like it.

When i started domaining, Just like most beginners, I started with the hand reg names, unlike most veteran domainers, i never stopped hand regging, instead i took the opportunity of being able to hand reg without a ton of competition, most had latched on to SnapNames.com and other auction houses, I came to a conclusion, I am working harder than smarter. a computer is smarter than my brainstorming, so i had a script written just for spinning domain names, put it on my server, put in my keywords for the spin, start the proggy, go watch a movie, drink a beer two, come back and get the results from the spin, parse through, check TM, register, Rinse and repeat all these years. 18 years of em.

Of course i do buy some domain names, most usually Liquid only NLN.com-LLLL.com and ect, about 4 non liquid names a year at max , the rest are hand reggies.

I wont be posting, and never do post my domain name sales, this is just proof that a not so good hand reg will sell, good hand reggies, have absolutely no problem selling, at xxx-high xxx and low x,xxx , all day long baby!

I have had this question asked SO many times, "Why do you keep over 600 domain names and 90% are hand registered, why don't you just let them drop,

Because if i did, i couldn't afford to buy them back ;)

I enjoyed your write up.I am a newbie trying to make the first sale
Please which market place do you use the most and get the most result?

I currently have some names listed on Undeveloped and Afternic,but yet to make a sale.
On Afternic,when I search for my domains I keep seeing sales pages with Ads.

I need assistance.

Thanks.

•••
I enjoyed your write up.I am a newbie trying to make the first sale
Please which market place do you use the most and get the most result?

I currently have some names listed on Undeveloped and Afternic,but yet to make a sale.
On Afternic,when I search for my domains I keep seeing sales pages with Ads.

I need assistance.

Thanks.

I use Sedo and undeveloped, I don’t use afternic anymore, just be patient, the sales will come

•••
Memorize the available information that has sold in similar industries. CBD is the first one that comes to mind. You can try and bank on the same terms that sold in that industry if they translate well or make sense in Cannabis/Marijuana industry. Most people aren’t creative so they will copy names that they have seen instead of a original idea. It’s easier.
Also think of the smaller markets related to cannabis that not everyone knows about. Maybe glassware or mechanical products they may need. Most names related to cannabis are most likely taken by now. So thinking of a different item or product related to it may open up some available names for you that other people haven’t thought of. Just my theory.

•••
•••
To start with just because something is registered doesn't mean it is worth adding more terms just to register a worse version.

The more words you add to a domain the more diluted the value becomes, especially when it is more than one concept. You can have multi word domains are still one concept for instance LasVegasRealEstate.com. That is a 4 word domain but it is as short as that concept can be.

When you take a domain like HempOil.com. It clearly has good value, but as soon as you add an extra word the value loss is exponential.

These type of domains might be fine to use as an end user, but there are so many beginning and ending words you can use with it that it is hard to see many buyers paying a premium. There are far too many alternatives.

Brad
well said bro

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back