NameSilo

discuss "Gumbo".....overlooked niche?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Since arriving on the domain scene a few years ago, and much to the chagrin of old time traditional domainers, I've created something I refer to as "Niche Domaining" btw, NicheDomaining.com is available to register, and it was registered for 12 years from 2005-2016.

As an example I've carved out niches with first and sometimes second word domains like; "Ark", "Homes", "757", and even "Whisky"

Let me tell you about my latest niche using the word "Gumbo". Who doesn't like Gumbo, the designated dish for the state of Louisiana? For anyone who hasn't had gumbo, you're missing out on one of the finest dishes anywhere in the world.

Interesting, when you go to Gumbo.com it takes you to a software company simply called "Gumbo", along the lines of "Amazon". "Gumbo" it turns out is a pretty cool name. It has just 5 letters, two syllables and is memorable, and frankly I think it's better than "Amazon":xf.grin:

How do I know it's "overlooked"? For one thing, if you go to Namebio you'll see where just 5 domains with "gumbo" have been sold over the past 20 years;

gumbo.net 2019
gumboyaya.com - 2019
sweetgumobttom.com - 2018
gumbocity.com - 2014
gumboy.com - 2010

Of course the naysayers reading this will say "Gumbo" is a bad name, and I'm sure they're the same ones who would say "Google" is a bad name:xf.wink:

Regardless, i've registered about a dozen "Gumbo" domains in the last few days similar to GumboBrand.com and GumboDigital.com.

The last thing I'll share, unless you have a "plan" for marketing a "niche" like this, don't waste your money. However if you do, "Niche Domaining" may be for you:xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Overlooked due to popularity I would assume you could find a popular niche so others might see something in your post.

•••
•••
Overlooked due to popularity I would assume you could find a popular niche so others might see something in your post.
Oh my friend from down under:xf.wink:, "Gumbo" may not be popular in Australia, but you obviously don't know how popular it is in the South. It's so popular in Louisiana and in New Orleans (considered by many as the "best" dining city in the world) it's considered a staple in most diets.

Seriously, to think "Gumbo" isn't popular is like saying "Kangaroo" is so rare that 90% of the world has never heard of a "Kangaroo"

Finally, if you spend a little time researching "Gumbo", you'll see what I'm saying about the "overlooked" niche:xf.grin:

•••
Niche domaining was here long before you arrived. Circa 2004
Yeah....i was aware of that, but I'm reviving it. I'm getting good enough at it that I've been asked to teach an introductory course in "Niche Domaining". How would you like to be one of my first students:xf.wink:

•••
Just one more thing Vaughan....ever hear of the Gumbo Pub? It's sort of like the PizzaPub.com, but much much better:xf.smile:

•••
Yeah....i was aware of that, but I'm reviving it. I'm getting good enough at it that I've been asked to teach an introductory course in "Niche Domaining". How would you like to be one of my first students:xf.wink:
Can you record it and send us the link?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Considering the total reported sales are under $400 for "Gumbo". I would say it is a non-existent niche when it comes to resale.

Gumbo.net 185 USD 2019-08-09
gumboyaya 103 USD 2019-03-22
gumbocity.com 105 USD 2014-10-04

Oh, i see you "overlooked" it too:xf.smile: You might want to check out GumboLife.com and Tracy Colton Antee or Gumbo.com and Melissa Huther to learn how I intend to popularize GUMBO:xf.grin: Another hint....check out GumboRealty.com, and you'll see why I'm the proud owner of GumboHomes as part of my "niche portfolio"

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back