IT.COM

gTLD Front-Running??

NameSilo
Watch

Pay_It_Forward_Pete

Impact
I've successfully registered a few gTLDs .blue etc. However I was trying to help my mom register 987.houses domain yesterday. I confirmed the official authorized registrars (obscure registrars). Most didn't actually return .homes domains in their search results so I just inquired through the sales site of the creator/operator of the .homes gTLD which is homes.com

domains.homes/buy-now/where-to-buy

register.homes

I understand they only have 200 regs and I couldn't see any whois data for the domain I was seeking. The odd thing is after I submitted my inquiry as to availability a guy reached out stating he would double check. Instead of hitting me back with an affirmative and a standard reg fee of $150 for this gTLD he's surprised me with the following.

option 1 price $10000 renewal $2000
option 2 price $24,794 renewal $100

I understand these organizations paid a $185,000 app fee to ICANN and are having to pay for registrar infrastructure etc.

I'm guessing ICANN is allowing the new gTLD operators to retain/front-run any domains as they please given the applicant's up front investment??

I'm guessing some gTLDs don't even have to make any available to the public??

Is there a decent source to check to see a full list of registered domains for a particular gTLD??

Is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior with small-time/more obscure gTLDs??

I appreciate your guys expertise.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think this post highlights why the new Gs will fail:

Obscure registries, random everchanging pricing, buyers are being ripped-off.

registries will do anything to make a quick buck...

Is there a decent source to check to see a full list of registered domains for a particular gTLD??

You can apply for zone file access. It's not easy to read though.(without basic coding knowledge)

https://czds.icann.org/en

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back