Dynadot

.mobi Great .mobi names dropping...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi, I haven't followed .mobi that closely, so maybe it is just me... But it seems that right now many great .mobi names are dropping.

First there was buddhism.mobi (auctioned yesterday at Pool), then betting.mobi and pizzas.mobi (now at SnapNames auction) and now concert.mobi and nightclub.mobi (still time to backorder) just to mention a few.

Is this a normal situation? In that case, I guess it is bad news for the extension. Or is it unusual and in that case a great opportunity for buyers? And are they worth paying high $xxx for?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

By the way, betting.mobi is already at $580 with more than two days left of the auction at SnapNames.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
really have nothing to do with TLD's at all.

EXACTLY. And that's the problem too.

because sub-domains like m.domain.com are nothing new

Yes but smart phones with fast internet are relatively new. Two years ago most internet phones stank. iphone was the beginning of the change.

you cant remember the last time you used paypal or facebook on your computer? i'd say you're in the minority.

I completely agree. I am sure FB and PP stats could verify that the usage for mobile on their site is very slim. Yeah it will grow but what's more likely to exist? An Android Paypal App or people going to browser and typing paypal.com?

Doh...nevermind already exists:
https://www.thepaypalblog.com/2009/05/new-paypal-application-for-android/

I just installed it. Works great.

•••
I completely agree. I am sure FB and PP stats could verify that the usage for mobile on their site is very slim. Yeah it will grow but what's more likely to exist? An Android Paypal App or people going to browser and typing paypal.com?

Doh...nevermind already exists:
https://www.thepaypalblog.com/2009/05/new-paypal-application-for-android/

I just installed it. Works great.
FB mobile stats may be in the minority now vs. pc but I'm looking a few years ahead
when things will shift.

Not sure what your point is about the paypal app? I have it on my iphone too and love
it. You did make my point though or maybe your just agreeing as far as peeps not needing
to type paypal.com. As it pertains to the mobile web, days of people going to keyword.com
will just not happen. If it does it will be few and far in between.

Which brings me back to my point. As more people use their mobiles for internet access, less
surfing of traditional .coms via pc will happen.

•••
Which brings me back to my point. As more people use their mobiles for internet access, less
surfing of traditional .coms via pc will happen.
Interesting that you say that. Personally I could see growth in both... it's not a zero-sum game :)

•••
I think you are looking at this from a narrow viewpoint. There is still a massive proportion of the world yet to embrace the wired internet, let alone get started with the mobile version. Although the US is a vast market, it is not the be all and end all.

•••
I think you are looking at this from a narrow viewpoint. There is still a massive proportion of the world yet to embrace the wired internet, let alone get started with the mobile version. Although the US is a vast market, it is not the be all and end all.

Not a narrow viewpoint on my part, just looking at the current trend which is more
and more mobile websurfing everyday.

Parts of the world which do not primarily use the "wired internet", as you put it, never will.
Instead they will opt for mobile usage which is far cheaper I gather than buying and operating a pc.

I bet if you took a poll and asked which item people could do without, their pc or their mobile phone,
the pc would get the boot. Many parts of the world cannot afford both so do the math :)

•••
Not a narrow viewpoint on my part, just looking at the current trend which is more
and more mobile websurfing everyday.

Parts of the world which do not primarily use the "wired internet", as you put it, never will.
Instead they will opt for mobile usage which is far cheaper I gather than buying and operating a pc.

I bet if you took a poll and asked which item people could do without, their pc or their mobile phone,
the pc would get the boot. Many parts of the world cannot afford both so do the math :)

For that to happen, smartphones would have to be virtually given away in lucky bags, and mobile internet costs would have to be a fraction of what they are today. So what will finance the mobile internet ?

•••
For that to happen, smartphones would have to be virtually given away in lucky bags, and mobile internet costs would have to be a fraction of what they are today. So what will finance the mobile internet ?

Its happening.
And, sorry but this is technology trends 101. You should read up on your tech usage trends and global demographics.

•••

Smartphones are being given away already. Some of my family just got FREE blackberries with a new t-mobile contract.

•••
Yes I know about this, but are they not always linked to a contract and therefore not exactly free ?
The crippling part in most of these contracts are the charges for going online in my experience.

•••
Yes I know about this, but are they not always linked to a contract and therefore not exactly free ?
The crippling part in most of these contracts are the charges for going online in my experience.

Shall we discuss .mobi?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back