Dynadot

.mobi Great .mobi names dropping...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi, I haven't followed .mobi that closely, so maybe it is just me... But it seems that right now many great .mobi names are dropping.

First there was buddhism.mobi (auctioned yesterday at Pool), then betting.mobi and pizzas.mobi (now at SnapNames auction) and now concert.mobi and nightclub.mobi (still time to backorder) just to mention a few.

Is this a normal situation? In that case, I guess it is bad news for the extension. Or is it unusual and in that case a great opportunity for buyers? And are they worth paying high $xxx for?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

By the way, betting.mobi is already at $580 with more than two days left of the auction at SnapNames.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why would a domainer want/need any specific name? It's only like buying stock there are lots of other good names out there for sale. (*Ok* the last couple of days have been exceptional as a very large independent *cough* player dropped a better quality portfolio for other reasons)

Unless you have a very large budget you can't buy everything. The only exception is if you want to develop a site around a real world passion or a real world business but most domainers buy the vast majority of their names for PPC or to sell on.

In the sales forum here and at other domain forums there are good names for sale which are priced far lower than they would fetch in a drop auction. - But they are not flying off the shelf even when they are massively cheaper.

Recently we bought a name in the forums for around $400 which was sold previously at auction for around $2500

3 letter domains which are the most liquid are available at $10 and not selling. Yet at drop auctions same quality names start at $60

This is silly!

1st this forum is open to domainers and developers and every shade in between. So with an objective mind its pretty easy to see why someone might want or need a specific name.

Didn't I mention conflict minerals in your cell phones? noone care to respond? Well how about moniker being linked to snapnames. Often names I buy at snap end up pushed over to moniker. So moniker profits. Now, exsedo, gpmgroup etc, are you in the process of moving all your domains away from moniker? Get real guys. You think you live squeaky clean lives that don't impact the environment or other people or species, get a grip. In the world of things this snapnames debacle is minor issue, speculating domainers are the victims, not starving kids in sweatshops. This is a silly fight to fight and says less about our moral values and more about your hypocritical vision of this world.

•••
[/url]Do you know how easy it is to make a mobile application for Android? I have apps for specific sites already that show me the articles in neat formats. Companies are going go weigh the option of having a stripped down mobile site or possible setting up a mobile application that draws info from it's regular site. Those using the application will definately be better customers. Normally I agree with you Snoop but aren't you the guy that never develops?

So therefore people who develop alot have an insight as to whether people are going to download everything via app in the future whilst those who don't develop will not know? Now if you are planning on developing android apps it sounds like you are right into it, but that does not mean you insight is any better than the guy who doesn't.

Remember most people are wrong half the time, that includes me and may well include you.

Let me just ask you this. If you had a choice between going to a mobile friendly Namepros.com or downloading a Namepros mobile application which would you prefer?

I'd go for the app, because I use the site alot and I'm a geek, that is different to the average small-medium size site which gets occasional visitors from regular people. People who won't want to download unless it is a site they are constanly using, news, maps etc. Like I said I think it is a 50/50 thing. Aps aren't going to take over the mobile world but they may take over half of it. It isn't something where you can say everyone will use apps or everyone won't.

It is a bit like those who think everyone will be surfing on mobile devices in 5 years and PC's will be forgotten, not realistic once you think about how people actually use the web (eg people at work).

I'd go for the application myself. One-time login and the app will remember me. It should allow me to view threads, have it's own settings for display outside the forum settings, and provide me the data exactly how I need it for my device.

The is no different to saving a login and setting on a web page.

Those that don't develop are small thinkers imho. You only know what you see not what's possible. Anyone with an Android smart phone go download the Website Magazines mobile app.

Most people think that those with an opposing view are "small thinkers", that is nothing new.

Also how many with a smartphone use Twitter.com versus a Twitter Application? C'mon. Raise your hand if you bother opening a browser, typing url or using a bookmark, wait for page to load, login, and then tweet? I just open twitter app and start typing a tweet. 1-2-3 and it's done.

Once again it is a site people use constantly. You are giving example of the 50% cases, where apps do clear work well, but your statement is that only apps will be used....by everyone.

How many people want an app for the pizza store they have visited once or the site they found which has an article on how to make garlic bread? How about if you want to buy a back massager you saw on tv, will you download the app to make a one time purchase? Where would you even download it from if you aren't using websites on your phone?

For news do you go to Cnn.com or do you open a News Application? I can go on and on but really just open up your smartphone and view your applications. You should get exactly what I am talking about. How many are using the internet? Probably many of them.

Like I said news is an area where apps work well.

Last edited:
•••
Hi, I haven't followed .mobi that closely, so maybe it is just me... But it seems that right now many great .mobi names are dropping.

First there was buddhism.mobi (auctioned yesterday at Pool), then betting.mobi and pizzas.mobi (now at SnapNames auction) and now concert.mobi and nightclub.mobi (still time to backorder) just to mention a few.

Is this a normal situation? In that case, I guess it is bad news for the extension. Or is it unusual and in that case a great opportunity for buyers? And are they worth paying high $xxx for?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

By the way, betting.mobi is already at $580 with more than two days left of the auction at SnapNames.

I'm shocked that you or anyone who's aware of the recent Snapnames scandal (Snapnames employee shill-bidding on thousands of auctions since 2005) would participate in a Snapnames auction. Are domainers brain-dead? Snapnames is responsible for massive auction fraud, considering their employee did it on their watch. Snapnames profited at the expense of innocent suckers who participated in those auctions. Now you want to reward them with more business. When are you going to wise up?

•••
Betting.mobi is currently at $2000+ with 2 days remaining. :O

•••
maybe cauz they are worhtless

•••
Seems like many of the dropping names are owned by the same company, RegistrarAds. Some more of the (supposedly) great names dropping:

cinemas.mobi
condo.mobi
prices.mobi
emails.mobi
rates.mobi
sites.mobi
travels.mobi
coupon.mobi
reservations.mobi

•••
If they were worthless people wouldn’t be willing to pay so much for them. I think this is a great chance to get into the mobi game if you haven’t yet or want some more really great names. Most of the good names are being dropped by the same company. Here is a nice read about them: Does anyone know this company? I guess they are dropping them because they have about 850k other domains under other tlds, that are most probably making more revenue at the moment. I’ve seen some of their names at Sedo with prices above 8k and that’s too high for the past and present market situation IMO. Most of the mobis they are dropping are premium quality.
:gn:'s

•••
If they were worthless people wouldn’t be willing to pay so much for them. I think this is a great chance to get into the mobi game if you haven’t yet or want some more really great names. Most of the good names are being dropped by the same company. Here is a nice read about them: Does anyone know this company? I guess they are dropping them because they have about 850k other domains under other tlds, that are most probably making more revenue at the moment. I’ve seen some of their names at Sedo with prices above 8k and that’s too high for the past and present market situation IMO. Most of the mobis they are dropping are premium quality.
:gn:'s

Thanks for the link. Seems like a big player who can afford to let them go... Will be interesting to follow the betting.mobi auction and some of the others.

•••
Seems like many of the dropping names are owned by the same company, RegistrarAds. Some more of the (supposedly) great names dropping:

cinemas.mobi
condo.mobi
prices.mobi
emails.mobi
rates.mobi
sites.mobi
travels.mobi
coupon.mobi
reservations.mobi

They have all been renewed by RegistrarAds, Inc.

•••
They have all been renewed by RegistrarAds, Inc.

Correction snapnames is currently the temporary owner of most the names.
Anyone thinking that these names are worthless is seriously misguided.

•••
Wow..quite a lot of nice names dropped today. I managed to get only one though; VoiceOverIP.mobi.

•••
Hi!

Do you guys think there will be more great .mobi names dropped after 2009 Dec 12 (or 13 ?)?

Some .mobi players told me No. Because good .mobi names was registered in around 2006-9-26, after the "big dropping time" during the passed ONE week, no more better names will be dropped, and no more so many good names dropped at the same day.

Do you think so ? Any opinions ?

Last edited:
•••
Hi!

Do you guys think there will be more great .mobi names dropped after 2009 Dec 12 ?

Some .mobi players told me No. Because good .mobi names was registered in around 2006-9-26, after the "big dropping time" during the passed ONE week, no more better names will be dropped, and no more so many good names dropped at the same day.

Do you think so ? Any opinions ?

They were correct

•••
Domain Name:AUSTRALIE.MOBI
Created On:13-Dec-2009 03:27:06 UTC
Expiration Date:13-Dec-2010 03:27:06 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:ClassDomainNames.com Inc. (1244)
Created by Registrar:ClassDomainNames.com Inc. (1244)
Registrant ID:FR-11daaf694311
Registrant Name: Pool.com In Trust

DAMN IT

•••

I agree. :(

•••
So I guess the ones that are already at auction now will be the last ones this time around. Will be interesting to follow their prices.

•••
So I guess the ones that are already at auction now will be the last ones this time around. Will be interesting to follow their prices.

Names drop every day from every TLD, most are crap, a few are reasonable, very few are quite good, hardly any are excellent/premium. So there will be more decent names from time to time, but probably never at the level we saw yesterday. That was a freak occurrence.

•••
betting.mobi is at $3,100 now at Snapnames auction. I wonder if it is really worth this much.

•••
betting.mobi is at $3,100 now at Snapnames auction. I wonder if it is really worth this much.

according to at least two bidders in a live auction it is really worth that much to them.

•••
I'm shocked that you or anyone who's aware of the recent Snapnames scandal (Snapnames employee shill-bidding on thousands of auctions since 2005) would participate in a Snapnames auction. Are domainers brain-dead? Snapnames is responsible for massive auction fraud, considering their employee did it on their watch. Snapnames profited at the expense of innocent suckers who participated in those auctions. Now you want to reward them with more business. When are you going to wise up?

Yeah, it is just shocking, I fully expected every expiring name now would not get a bid. Everyone must be "brain dead" except you and me.

•••
Yeah, it is just shocking, I fully expected every expiring name now would not get a bid. Everyone must be "brain dead" except you and me.

I don`t bid anymore on Snap.

•••

Or maybe a name is needed for a business purpose and the buyer has to deal with the devil regardless. Not everything is so black and white.

•••
can try

zedge.mobi

zedge.net is very very famous otherwise

so....take the right step guys :D

•••
Auction closed at $4,100

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back