.tv Google: We Treat .tv as a gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Good news!

Best,
A

Google: We Treat .tv as a gTLD
Posted by Michaela B., VeriSign

I was recently asked whether Google Search treats .tv as a ccTLD or a gTLDs; so I thought I’d answer that here on the blog also. Don’t take my word for it, according to Google’s own site, they treat it as a gTLD. Says John Mueller, Google Webmaster, “Yes, we treat .tv as a gTLD.”

Source: http://blog.watch.tv/2010/10/google-tv-gtld/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Do you have the direct link of this?

•••
•••
•••
Thanks, good news that is.

•••
...just rated her article a fiver. Surprised I'm the first one to do it, too.

The floodgates appear to be opening for the "humble" extension...

PS,
Ace, your constant searching for information is truly an inspiration to all confident in the .tv extension. Mucho kudos and thanks to you, my good man!

•••
•••
•••
•••
Isn't it old news ?

I was thinking the same thing. This was announced earlier this year, but it's always good to remind and update some people :)

•••
Isn't it old news ?

If it is old news, I guess I dont remember the post/blog/article etc.

I love Dot TV facts more than most, and I think I would have remembered that...maybe not? lol

But upon further investigation, I still dont see where it IS written that in fact Google has written that they treat TV as a gtld.

I of course went to the link Ammadumas posted and see what the author had quoted.

Then within her post she has a link "Googles own site"
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/12/region-tags-in-google-search-results.html
but I still dont see anyewhere on there where they actually say tv IS in fact treated as a gtld.

I see that they have made it easier to see the location (Country of origin) of the site but thats it.

What am I missing here?

•••
If it is old news, I guess I dont remember the post/blog/article etc.

I love Dot TV facts more than most, and I think I would have remembered that...maybe not? lol

But upon further investigation, I still dont see where it IS written that in fact Google has written that they treat TV as a gtld.

I of course went to the link Ammadumas posted and see what the author had quoted.

Then within her post she has a link "Googles own site"
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/12/region-tags-in-google-search-results.html
but I still dont see anyewhere on there where they actually say tv IS in fact treated as a gtld.

I see that they have made it easier to see the location (Country of origin) of the site but thats it.

What am I missing here?

John Mueller of Google states it in the comments section...

•••
•••
John Mueller of Google states it in the comments section...

I guess I didnt read that far...doh!

Thx Ken.

So there we have it Folks!

Its Official now - .TV is the new .com! :)

•••
i add all my .tv websites to webmaster tools in my google account and after analytics and sitemap. next is the geographic settings which when i go to is set, is already set to united states ?? i then re-set it to unlisted

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I guess I didnt read that far...doh!

Thx Ken.

So there we have it Folks!

but i thought .co was the next .com ....doh

•••
You mean all those .tv sites don't get treated as though they are about Tuvalu? huge news! :-/

The floodgates appear to be opening for the "humble" extension...

Break out the raspberry cordial and the credit cards.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Taxi! Looks like one person has already had too much.

•••
You mean all those .tv sites don't get treated as though they are about Tuvalu? huge news! :-/

Break out the raspberry cordial and the credit cards.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Taxi! Looks like one person has already had too much.
Poor Snoop, he is wrong again:(

•••
.TV ain't a joke, who am I to tell so...., yeah I might kid by domaining, but made more than $35k by just hand reg within 6 months time spend and a big portion of it now in .TV....WHY ?

I could see it, I'm a kid in domain games....but just curious why there is some still wanna play bad and trash .TV here and there.

Not posting this for self ego satisfaction, just want to say " If some one so young in domaining could see it..... WHY those old timer can't see it ?

Tvers....just do what you'll are doing all the time.

MANO
* no offend intended to any one

•••
.TV ain't a joke, who am I to tell so...., yeah I might kid by domaining, but made more than $35k by just hand reg within 6 months time spend and a big portion of it now in .TV....WHY ?

I could see it, I'm a kid in domain games....but just curious why there is some still wanna play bad and trash .TV here and there.

Not posting this for self ego satisfaction, just want to say " If some one so young in domaining could see it..... WHY those old timer can't see it ?

Tvers....just do what you'll are doing all the time.

MANO
* no offend intended to any one

My comments are not trash "trashing .tv"

They are making two points,

-Isn't it obvious that Google would treat the extension as a gtld just like any other rebranded tld? Why would they treat it as a country code and when did they ever treat it as such? (note all that is a different to Google ranking .tv sites well, .jobs and .museum are seen as gtld's as well)

-All the comments about floodgates opening and the like is nonsense, the policy is not new, I don't think they have ever had a different policy on the extension.

•••
I don't think they have ever had a different policy on the extension.

Aww Snoopy I love you!

You da Best!

Even when speaking out of your ass you still argue as if what you are saying is fact! Maybe you should state your opinion, instead of presenting as if you know all the facts about the way google treats TLDs.

Fact is you just can't wait to be argumentative without provocation.

I took you off of ignore just so I can laugh and enjoy the silly arguements you start without any factual basis.

I might start giving rep points because you entertain me ;)

Last edited:
•••
Snoop I agree with you, but please bear in mind there is a lot money involved by the .TV domain holders prospective.

So, if some of them said floodgates is opening it might be a nonsense view; but I do understand its a statement made of joy and not a credible statement yet.

I just don't see why .CO news will be treated and weighted more than .TV although every one pretty sure there is more branding value on .TV than .CO.

Apologies if any of this make you upset.... Seniority must be always respected.

•••
now your talking speedaccu :) I'm 56 so..... thanks for the respect!! ..... love your enthusiasm, vision/communication ..... you will do well dear .... in whatever you endeavor for sure!!!

•••
Snoop I agree with you, but please bear in mind there is a lot money involved by the .TV domain holders prospective.

So, if some of them said floodgates is opening it might be a nonsense view; but I do understand its a statement made of joy and not a credible statement yet.

You've hit the nail on the head here "not a credible statement". Well done for saying it like it is. There is no point having a discussing with some others where a viewpoint is not credible and based on them having already spent money on something.

I took you off of ignore just so I can laugh and enjoy the silly arguements you start without any factual basis.

I would suggest some self reflection here...see if you can figure out the real reason you took me off ignore. If the above comment was anything beyond posturing you wouldn't have put me on ignore in the first place.

Last edited:
•••
You've hit the nail on the head here "not a credible statement". Well done for saying it like it is. There is no point having a discussing with some others where a viewpoint is not credible

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head, Snoop is not a credible source for information or insight. He has been on this forum spreading salt on peoples threads for years with only one transaction. He literally swoops in with his " all knowing point of view" that he presents as fact. I put you on ignore because you literally present your OPINION as if it is fact when it is not. You ultimately start to attack people when you cannot convert people to your point of view. It was irritating and I do not log in to see you attack others opinions because they do not agree with your OPINION.

From my point of view Snoop's information and point of view on many TLD's is laughable at best. The only thing he has ever said that I agree with is that too many people hype up extentions (.tv included) needlessly and it spurs inexperienced buyers to invest wihtout knowing the facts. It can lead to people being in debt.

Snoop has alot of knowledge and its ashame that he uses it in a way that does not help anyone or even add to the forum, shame on you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back