Domain Empire

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I doubt Google are even bothered about owning Alphabet.com.

Google Didn’t Even Contact BMW To Offer To Buy Alphabet.com

Wait! What?

abcxyz.com
Global Rank
globe-sm.d0f76e3d37b3db1f5de9a369b65ac33c.jpg
It means that Internet users type 'abcxyz.com' instead of 'abc.xyz'....

Good find. I predicted that earlier in this thread.

I believe they are saying - people, do not pay attention to 'Alphabet' or bother going to the website, just look out for our products . . . They have [some] of the strongest brands and it would be stupid to dilute those. Alphabet is not a brand and will never be a brand. It is just a holding company.
Bingo.

•••
While I think people shouldn't spend too much $ on random xyz domains just because of Google uses one of them, but:

I just sold one .xyz for $200 :-o

It's 2 word brandable name (let's say aaaabbbb.xyz), I bought it for myself and never used it (I was planning to drop it in December).
The buyer has aaaabbbbccccc.com (he was the one who contacted me)

Could I get more? maybe? But I suck at haggling so... mmmmh yeah... :rolleyes:

Still, not bad return of investment on domain that I only got for s**t and giggles...

•••
While I think people shouldn't spend too much $ on random xyz domains just because of Google uses one of them, but:

I just sold one .xyz for $200 :-o

It's 2 word brandable name (let's say aaaabbbb.xyz), I bought it for myself and never used it (I was planning to drop it in December).
The buyer has aaaabbbbccccc.com (he was the one who contacted me)

Could I get more? maybe? But I suck at haggling so... mmmmh yeah... :rolleyes:

Still, not bad return of investment on domain that I only got for s**t and giggles...

Nice, congrats!

I also sold one yesterday and are still negotiating on another.

•••
Last edited:
•••

Their next ad campaign should be:

Buy .XYZ for sh*ts and Googles...

•••
I doubt Google paid any serious money for abc.xyz and I wouldn't even be surprised if they got it for free from Negari because he's thinking about all of this hype. Why spend 6 figures for a domain when they could've bought the entire .xyz tld for that amount.

•••
I doubt Google paid any serious money for abc.xyz and I wouldn't even be surprised if they got it for free from Negari because he's thinking about all of this hype. Why spend 6 figures for a domain when they could've bought the entire .xyz tld for that amount.

They could easily have spend 7 figures if they wanted, but like you say, maybe they got it for free. ;)

Maybe they also wanted to give some credit to a hard working entrepreneur. Same as they were in the start of Google. At that time they were sitting in a garage looking for investors.

•••
It's 2015, there are no shortage of tools and stats to use. You can listen to marketing fluff, charts without numbers, people talking about 1 good minute of sales but - https://namestat.org/xyz

+12,713, the week prior it was +5,000+ average a day, so 7,000+ more than recently. I don't consider that a big jump, maybe others do. I even expected much better numbers.

Serious question. How as an investor in .xyz, do you not know of the site I just linked too, or the others that keep stats? It's been posted many times over, bookmark it. Actually look at the page, the metrics etc. One that I mentioned before is the now 7.8% U.S. and 69% China. Numbers wise, to me, it's just a Chinese alternate extension.

This is the article I was talking about where he mentioned 250 names in less than a minute

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/08/alphabet-just-majorly-popularized-the-xyz-extension.html

Could have been 1 person making a run, who knows, obviously you get a better picture looking at days, weeks, months to see what kind of impact this announcement made.

Serious question. How as an investor in .xyz, do you not know of the site I just linked too, or the others that keep stats?[/QUOTE]

Serious answer:

I do, normally go here: https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

I also watch the news, when Danial says it's over 1 million on TV then it is IMO. https://screen.yahoo.com/alphabet-frenzy-xyz-registrations-rise-213807271.html

•••
It's 2015, there are no shortage of tools and stats to use. You can listen to marketing fluff, charts without numbers, people talking about 1 good minute of sales but - https://namestat.org/xyz

+12,713, the week prior it was +5,000+ average a day, so 7,000+ more than recently. I don't consider that a big jump, maybe others do. I even expected much better numbers
Majority of public knows about change in Google CEO and its new parent company. They really not aware that abc.xyz is their new website. This number will get increased when public start using it every day.

Repeating again, .xyz or .club or .plus will not replace .com BUT buyers will add more filtering criteria on .com names and if they don't get it, they will not hesitate to use ngtlds.

•••
Google didn't choose .XYZ because they believe that .XYZ is going to be huge, they chose because the .COM version is not available, and we all know that. Also ABC.XYZ is relevant to the name of the company "Alphabet".

We all know that Google didn't buy xyz because they liked it. They bought abc.xyz because its innovative way to name their company.

But point here is, by default it will increase the exposure of .xyz and about ngtlds in public and will encourage other companies to start using ngtlds.

•••
We all know that Google didn't buy xyz because they liked it. They bought abc.xyz because its innovative way to name their company.

But point here is, by default it will increase the exposure of .xyz and about ngtlds in public and will encourage other companies to start using ngtlds.

I think they liked it or would have never got the name but JMO.

Alphabet.com, no chance of getting along with ABC.com. They searched out the most generic new gTLD and .xyz was the perfect match. I'm sure they had several options on the table and this is the one that won.

Alphabet.xyz is for-sale too and they passed. Must have wanted the short LLL domain.

•••
Alphabet.xyz is for-sale too and they passed. Must have wanted the short LLL domain.

Google bought Alphabet.xyz from a domainer a few days ago. He had no clue that Google/Alphabet was the actual buyer.

•••
Google bought Alphabet.xyz from a domainer a few days ago. He had no clue that Google/Alphabet was the actual buyer.

I looked at it tonight, it said for-sale on whois. Wow I bet they let it go cheap, hopefully not but I'm guessing they did.

•••

If you watch Danial within the video link above, I think he acted like he didn't know it was Google buying ABC.xyz from them. Although he signed a NDA it was probably under Alphabet and he had no clue until the page appeared.

Did anyone else catch that??

•••
My point is that if somebody wants to visit ebay..... they are likely to either search 'ebay', or type 'ebay.com' into their browser bar (type in), or even just click on one of those most visited things on chrome, the people who actually type 'ebay.com' into google search will surely be a small minority.

As for searching for any term and calculating how many results are .com, I'd require you to place additional conditions on that..... if I type 'laptop' there are 484m results, how do you propose I calculate how many of those 484m results are from a .com?

I looked at the first 10 pages of results though, .com came in 2nd place. Can you guess what came 1st? B-)
For 'laptop' I get a .COM in first place.

•••
Almost every single post here about how great .XYZ is completely unfounded and utter nonsense.

In 3 months after people finally understand the difference between a holding company and a public facing company, all these .xyz buys will be worth less than regfee and dropped when renewal swings around.

I own some great domains that are exact matches for some holding companies, and guess what; the companies don't want them.

I will leave you with this final thought...

If Google decided to name their holding company "KIWI", the domain would probably be My.Kiwi.
If Google decided to name their holding company "ONE", the domain would probably be One.Uno.

Would you then rush out to buy a .Kiwi or a .Uno... of course not.

Thats's how basic this is...

Dreaming is nice, but when you are chasing the dream with a blindfold on it can get treacherous.

•••
Dreaming is nice, but when you are chasing the dream with a blindfold on it can get treacherous.
Love it!

Definitely a quote to live by!

•••
Its just a fad. I don't think so that .xyz is going to take over .com. Its like some search engine taking lead business over Google. Its a news and rumors. Kind of the viral publicity which took over domainers.

•••
I don't think so that .xyz is going to take over .com.

It's physically impossible. But I think Negari allow himself to make exaggerated bold statements right now, especially while being a guest at Bloomberg etc. He looked more happy than a kid on Christmas. We may ridicule him and his extension, but at least 99,9% of us will probably never be invited to talk about our company there. ;)

•••
For the Alphabet holding company, ABC.XYZ is more suitable than ABC.COM or ABCXYZ.COM or Alphabet.xyz, the hack works this time but using .COM would have killed its meaning.

It's a domain name hack, that's all !

So we buy .com has a defensive registration against our more suitable new gTLD

Eg. we use healthdoctor.online and we don't want our address to get any bigger so we buy
healthdoctoronline.com if it's available as a defensive registration.

Last edited:
•••
For the Alphabet holding company, ABC.XYZ is more suitable than ABC.COM or ABCXYZ.COM or Alphabet.xyz, the hack works this time but using .COM would have killed its meaning.

It's a domain name hack, that's all !

So we buy .com has a defensive registration against our more suitable new gTLD

Eg. we use healthdoctor.online and we don't want our address to get any bigger so we buy
healthdoctoronline.com if it's available as a defensive registration.
I see, so now the .COM version has become the defensive registration????

First of all healthdoctor.online isn't correct English, it should be onlinehealth.doctor, and second 99% of the population does not type those gTLDs in the browser and the last I check type-ins are of huge importance.

•••
For the domainers who own .xyz extension domain, this is the right time to sell it for a good value. This time will not come again and again. Just stop thinking and asking just start acting.

•••
Yes, exactly - some .com's will become defensive registrations for names in the new gTLD space.

If Google acquired abc.com they should point/redirect it to the more useful/meaningful domain hack abc.xyz

Users habits are set to change too, maybe onlinehealth.doctor will become a more popular type-in than onlinehealthdoctor.com

Lets make this clear, new gTLDs will change the way people search the internet.

Last edited:
•••
You and some others still haven't explained, how in the world is this supposed to help "other new gtlds"?

In the first place, a lot of people will not have been aware of the new domains before now. This brings awareness.

For internet professionals, it will be seen that if Google uses a new generic domain, then they must be ok and "makes it alright" for them to use them too. Equally if they are trying to sell a new generic domain to a client, they can say "Google uses them".

With the whole world taking about new generic domains, you tell me how that will *not* help them!

•••
Users habits are set to change too, maybe onlinehealth.doctor will become a more popular type-in than onlinehealthdoctor.com

Indeed. I have said several times here, to those of us who have been online for some time, the new domains look weird, strange, not right somehow, but to those new to the internet and those to come, they won't look strange and weird, no stranger than .com will look to them (an old generic domain!).

As a matter of fact, they will probably look more logical, "onlinehealth.doctor" looks more logical than "onlinehealthdoctor.com" could ever do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back