Dynadot

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perfect timing. Namecheap currently runs $1 registration for .xyz until September

Attachments

• ncoffers.jpg
    ncoffers.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 41
•••
Am not a fan of these new .whatevers, but i CANT deny that this move by google(simple or complex), gives.xyz a boost.

kind of how youtube made "keyword+tube.extension" domains popular.

Some of you want to act as if Google isnt half the internet....like it or not its a fact. I dont like those types of monopolies but its truth...ok call it the reality. Big G still losing in china market btw.

•••
Show me the actual current number, where do you see 700,000 undisputed? And even if you can he's blown away .work which is your favorite, correct?
http://registrarstats.com/TLDHistoryChart.aspx?TLDName=XYZ

I have access to the zone files, I have the same figures.
The difference is the number of domains in redemption. If Negari says there are approx. 1M domains, it's not completely false, but misleading: the domains are pending deletion.

•••
•••
abc.xyz has a quirky/brandable value unique to them because they're calling their company Alphabet. Could be used as a selling point for xyz domain holders but I think it's too soon to speculate until there's further use of the extension and further development of this brand than a single landing page. The industry is very thirsty for good news with gTLDs, it's easy to run with and celebrate any headline relating to them.

Last edited:
•••
As I said earlier, it would be interesting to see the numbers on this and I think today and tomorrow will give a better picture. Because the number that was posted for yesterday earlier in the thread, 5,975, is complete failure to me because they were already averaging over 5,000 a day the week before all of this - https://namestat.org/xyz

Then, I read an interview yesterday where Daniel said he did something like 250 in under a minute. So I wanted to do the math and imagine if he did that every minute for a day. That would be 360,000. So 5,975 seems way low.

The problem is, this has been in General Availability for over a year now. I would hope domainers did their thing and registered all the premium type keywords long ago and some are being held by the registry? So if people go to hand reg, they'll run into the same problems as most other extensions, good keywords long gone.

Even I expected the numbers to be a lot higher and they very well might be the next few days.

Perfect timing. Namecheap currently runs $1 registration for .xyz until September

I think the $1 price is just one more reason to question a jump as well. We will need to see sustained numbers.
On the other hand, $1 is a pretty cheap investment if someone does want to pick a few to experiment with.

•••
By making an offer they cannot refuse.

BMW will remember well the huge Google penalty they had back in 2006:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4685750.stm

If they go down that route Google will get the name, but I bet you Google execs will never want to get in an internet-connected BMW again.

Oh by using bribery? That would be smart.

Google will also remember the year long antitrust investigation by the EU, and some are arguing that this split has been forced upon google by the European parliament, who recently voted to split Google in Europe.

Do you need me to tell you how important BMW is to the German economy, and which country has effective control over the European Union?

Google can use alpha.bet, there you go, problem solved.

•••
One can hear the steadfast .com domainer hardliners and .xyz haters 'cries and sighs' already.

There will now be an explosion of new .xyz domains registered! And the .xyz and new gTLD hater threads..will be on overdrive.

Seems like you're on the right track. Already. ;)

•••
Oh by using bribery?

No the "offer you cannot refuse" was intended - jokingly - to mean make a threat as in the film the Godfather.

I'm no Google fan but I suspect the threat of doing badly in search results works wonders for them in "persuading" people to go along with what they want. As does their known practice of giving Adwords credit to supporters and puppet organisations.

Wouldn't surprise me if fear of being banned from Adsense makes a lot of sites careful about criticising Google.

•••
I think the $1 price is just one more reason to question a jump as well.

The short one word premium 'pre- regs' were $14.95 ;)

•••
I doubt Google are even bothered about owning Alphabet.com.

Its just going to be an information page for an umbrella company, of interest only to perhaps investors and the press, for downloading corporate accounts and checking for press released.

The consumer is still going straight to Google.com

Example: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

That's the homepage of one of this worlds biggest diversified 'umbrella' or 'holding' companies.

An example of one of their brands: www.geico.com

How many customers of Geico even know or care that Berkshire Hathaway own Geico, yet alone have a reason to visit the Berkshire Hathaway website?

Exact same applies here. 'Alphabet' is just the name of a legal entity, a holding company, it isn't for consumption and doesn't need to be a consumer brand.

Therefore spending huge money or putting massive effort into acquiring 'Alphabet.com' would be nothing other than a hugely expensive and massively pointless vanity project.

•••
How many customers of Geico even know or care that Berkshire Hathaway own Geico, yet alone have a reason to visit the Berkshire Hathaway website?

I definitely did not know that.

+1

•••
Can't stop laughing when I look at comments from some VIPs.

Google using abc.xyz will increase the awareness about .xyz and new gtlds in public.

End users who hesitated to register in .xyz will have no worry about the popularity now..

You can cry or s...t as much as possible but nothing will stop the growth of ngtlds...nothing will stop Google using abc.xyz

•••
Got rid of my only .XYZ. I've invested more on .PLUS, now I'm poor

•••

So .com is just another .xyz :-o

•••
Hello,

Procter & Gamble is another example of a holding company, owning brands such as: Wella, Pantene, Ariel, Downy, Crest, Gillette, Oral-B, Head & Shoulders, Olay etc.

But at least, they use PG.com ;)

Last edited:
•••
Google's use of the .xyz gTLD has nothing to do with the rest of the world. We will probably never hear of ABC.XYZ after the dust settles, remember it's an umbrella entity, unless Google makes the biggest mistake and loose their Google brand.

•••
Google's use of the .xyz gTLD has nothing to do with the rest of the world. We will probably never hear of ABC.XYZ after the dust settles, remember it's an umbrella entity, unless Google makes the biggest mistake and loose their Google brand.

The only issue "Google" has is it's becoming the public term for search "go google it" etc. It's how ducttape lost its TM because all brands were known to the public as ducttape.

•••
Can't stop laughing when I look at comments from some VIPs.

Google using abc.xyz will increase the awareness about .xyz and new gtlds in public.

End users who hesitated to register in .xyz will have no worry about the popularity now..

You can cry or s...t as much as possible but nothing will stop the growth of ngtlds...nothing will stop Google using abc.xyz

It's 2015, there are no shortage of tools and stats to use. You can listen to marketing fluff, charts without numbers, people talking about 1 good minute of sales but - https://namestat.org/xyz

+12,713, the week prior it was +5,000+ average a day, so 7,000+ more than recently. I don't consider that a big jump, maybe others do. I even expected much better numbers.

Show me the actual current number, where do you see 700,000 undisputed? And even if you can he's blown away .work which is your favorite, correct?

Serious question. How as an investor in .xyz, do you not know of the site I just linked too, or the others that keep stats? It's been posted many times over, bookmark it. Actually look at the page, the metrics etc. One that I mentioned before is the now 7.8% U.S. and 69% China. Numbers wise, to me, it's just a Chinese alternate extension.

This is the article I was talking about where he mentioned 250 names in less than a minute

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/08/alphabet-just-majorly-popularized-the-xyz-extension.html

Could have been 1 person making a run, who knows, obviously you get a better picture looking at days, weeks, months to see what kind of impact this announcement made.

Last edited:
•••
The only issue "Google" has is it's becoming the public term for search "go google it" etc. It's how ducttape lost its TM because all brands were known to the public as ducttape.
You make a good point, I can think of Kleenex, Coke, and others as well, but I think this reinforces my point, becoming a generic brand strengthens the product type, in this case .COM. No one "googles" a .XYZ.

•••
How many times have you read that Google test everything and base decisions on data. What do you reckon they are studying here?

Some people may be missing the deep numerological significance of .xyz. It isn't just the last word in domains, it is 999 on a traditional keypad with letters assigned to the numbers. And invert that and it reads 666...

•••
You make a good point, I can think of Kleenex, Coke, and others as well, but I think this reinforces my point, becoming a generic brand strengthens the product type, in this case .COM. No one "googles" a .XYZ.

Yeah, it will be many years before .com losses any market recognition. I do think the day will come when kids say "wow grandpa you are old you still say .com".

•••
How many times have you read that Google test everything and base decisions on data. What do you reckon they are studying here?

Some people may be missing the deep numerological significance of .xyz. It isn't just the last word in domains, it is 999 on a traditional keypad with letters assigned to the numbers. And invert that and it reads 666...

interestingly evil... :)

images

•••

Google didn't choose .XYZ because they believe that .XYZ is going to be huge, they chose because the .COM version is not available, and we all know that. Also ABC.XYZ is relevant to the name of the company "Alphabet".

•••
It isn't just the last word in domains, it is 999 on a traditional keypad with letters assigned to the numbers. And invert that and it reads 666...

And if you relate it to it's alphabetic counterpart, 666 is equivalent to FFF. Multiply that by 2 and you have FFFFFF. Slap a hashtag on there and you get #FFFFFF, which is the hex color code for white. Thus Google is a front company for the KKK.

#LogicalConclusions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back