Domain Empire

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Eh?

I think you'll find I'm totally correct about BMW having larger annual revenues and a larger total asset value, which is what I actually said.

What your link shows is a list of publicly listed companies sorted by market capitalization, which is why Dell is missing from the list, what with it being privately held. Furthermore, that lists what Forbes perceives as 'brands', which they have decided not to define.

That's the only way to place a 'value' on a business, the market deciding what its worth, and it is only by that measure that Apple comes out on top..... because tech is in a big bubble.

Here's a better list:

http://www.forbes.com/global2000/list/#tab:overall

Apple in 12th, when factoring in sales, profit, and assets, alongside 'market value'.

Google in 39th, and BMW in 45th..... but only because of the inflated price of Tech shares, which many will argue are in a bubble.

BMW have far higher revenues and far higher total asset value, which is what I said.....

Gotcha.

•••
I saw this in the comments on Tech Crunch, but there was no explanation for it. Can someone who understands code explain why a hidden hooli.xyz link is randomly placed in the source code?

VmRTmdD.png

Are they trolling us?

there is 2 links....one is hidden

123.png

•••
Sergey, Larry and Sundar were hanging out and after a couple of tequilas:

- Let's chock the world and rename Google! Let's call it... Alpha... Alphamale?! Like us!
- No, too sexist... Women will go bananas. Call it ... Alphabet! That's totally nuts too.
- Yeah, and let's get a corny domain that will confuse everyone!!!
- Awesome! But shouldn't we not check on any possible existing trademarks first?! *burp*
- What? Who could possible sue us? And no one would trademark such a word.
- Haha, we are just awesome!
- Salute!

•••
Sergey, Larry and Sundar were hanging out and after a couple of tequilas:

- Let's chock the world and rename Google! Let's call it... Alpha... Alphamale?! Like us!
- No, too sexist... Women will go bananas. Call it ... Alphabet! That's totally nuts too.
- Yeah, and let's get a corny domain that will confuse everyone!!!
- Awesome! But shouldn't we not check on any possible existing trademarks first?! *burp*
- What? Who could possible sue us? And no one would trademark such a word.
- Haha, we are just awesome!
- Salute!

Given that they didn't know how to spell googol it wouldn't suprise me.

•••
•••
"Who cares about new domain names? We do." – Google

Video Summary

•••
"Who cares about new domain names? We do." – Google

Video Summary

Very interesting, the namepros gTLD nay sayers may have heart attacks watching that video. They'll be screaming at the monitor saying to Google that Google is wrong....

•••
Very interesting, the namepros gTLD nay sayers may have heart attacks watching that video. They'll be screaming at the monitor saying to Google that Google is wrong....

Specifically, what part is supposed to give people heart attacks?

•••

There are a few parts, you may have nightmares :D. JB have you at least bought one yet?

•••
There are a few parts, you may have nightmares :D. JB have you at least bought one yet?

Didn't answer the question, evaded it. Did you even watch the video?

"sell as many of the 1400 new top level domains that are coming online as we can sell"

Looks like advertising to me. I find it more interesting how many people don't get that, are gullible, even to the point of posting articles here at NP that are paid ads or press releases, thinking it's some unbiased reporting. We had one this week that was from .tech. It's like people don't even check out who the author is, where it's coming from.

Last edited:
•••
I can see speculative bets on a growing industry but not on an extension. I'll save my money for more vr/360 domains. ;)

•••
Have to point this out, thought it was funny, tweet from Name.com:

They put some graph up showing the spike in .xyz regs. What do you see missing? Numbers.

https://twitter.com/namedotcom/status/631114914803941376

They had 1900 total regs over a year (13 months), works it out to about 5 regs a day. So if they got a few hundred or whatever, you can get a graph like that. It's actually being passed around like it's something big, 6 retweets, a graph without numbers.

•••
Have to point this out, thought it was funny, tweet from Name.com:

They put some graph up showing the spike in .xyz regs. What do you see missing? Numbers.

https://twitter.com/namedotcom/status/631114914803941376

They had 1900 total regs over a year (13 months), works it out to about 5 regs a day. So if they got a few hundred or whatever, you can get a graph like that. It's actually being passed around like it's something big, 6 retweets, a graph without numbers.
But there is a mountain! Isn't that cool enough?

•••
•••
Hooli.xyz is the only company fake at that previous to Google to use .xyz that i know of.. maybe that's there new venture and we are all clueless. LoL

•••
Hooli.xyz is the only company previous to Google to use .xyz. Maybe that's there new venture and we all clueless. LoL

I think in the back office that Google might have secretly struck a deal with XYZ because Daniel was desperate to get XYZ's numbers back over 1 million. That's not meant to sound disparaging of Daniel, reading his blog, I can see that he's an excellent marketer.

•••
Hooli.xyz is the only company previous to Google to use .xyz that i know of.. maybe that's there new venture and we all clueless. LoL

There was a hidden link, or was it it a hidden clue? Hmmm

•••
Hooli the next hbo? The conspiracy grows.

•••
Didn't answer the question, evaded it. Did you even watch the video?

"sell as many of the 1400 new top level domains that are coming online as we can sell"

Looks like advertising to me. I find it more interesting how many people don't get that, are gullible, even to the point of posting articles here at NP that are paid ads or press releases, thinking it's some unbiased reporting. We had one this week that was from .tech. It's like people don't even check out who the author is, where it's coming from.

You want me to re watch it and note times for you? You did'nt get what I was saying? Yeah you did, this is why you replied. :)

So have you bought a ngTLD yet? There must have been one that caught your eye.

PS - I own zero .xyz's

•••
I think in the back office that Google might have secretly struck a deal with XYZ because Daniel was desperate

He's made his investment back and +, he's not desperate and still holds the #1 spot within new gTLDs.

I'm sure his goal is remaining #1 in the new gTLD arena one million or not. JMO.

•••

The part when they realize that Google has employees that aren't the geniuses everyone thinks they are :)
I watched it and agree with you..

Hi, we're Google, and we're a registry now!

What are you going to do about cybersquatting?
Well, it's a clean slate and we have rules and stuff (like we did mobi)...but we can't control the other 1000 tlds..but that's ok... free domain!! better than a t-shirt

•••
He's made his investment back and +, he's not desperate and still holds the #1 spot within new gTLDs.

I'm sure his goal is remaining #1 in the new gTLD arena one million or not. JMO.

Not desperate financially, but rather I meant desperate to save face after watching XYZ's numbers fall from 1 million to 700,000 or so over the last month. Desperate so his XYZ dream does not die.

•••
Not desperate financially, but rather I meant desperate to save face after watching XYZ's numbers fall from 1 million to 700,000 or so over the last month. Desperate so his XYZ dream does not die.

Show me the actual current number, where do you see 700,000 undisputed? And even if you can he's blown away .work which is your favorite, correct?

•••
Alphabet.com is owned by BMW, who are a bigger company than Google (in terms of both annual revenue and total asset value).

How exactly are you proposing Google obtain it?

By making an offer they cannot refuse.

BMW will remember well the huge Google penalty they had back in 2006:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4685750.stm

If they go down that route Google will get the name, but I bet you Google execs will never want to get in an internet-connected BMW again.

•••
I got a Google alert on this like 2days ago and I said what that h**l, so Google is actually following the trend of .xyz simplicity. wow! I think is high time I openen up my own too. I wish Google all the best in their domaining

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back