IT.COM

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
anyone registering .xyz domains because of this is going to lose money.

•••

Nah. They should spend their mortgage on .xyz. It'll probably buy them a Ferrari in a year.

•••

Just sold one because of this. Currently negotiating on another one. I've spent about 10 dollars on these two and will not sell below 2-300 each.

•••
I think ABC.XYZ is one of the FEW.XYZ names that make sense. I believe that's the reason why Google picked it. Google wants to be the ABC through XYZ of everything.

By the way, I own FEW.XYZ :)

•••
Just sold one because of this. Currently negotiating on another one. I've spent about 10 dollars on these two and will not sell below 2-300 each.

Do you mind sharing the names? or if not, whether they are dictionary words, 2 word keywords, keyword-based brandable, MUP, etc??

Thanks!

•••
Actually, Google use a number of exotic extensions (other than the usual google.cctld) for certain projects.
Example: no_url_shorteners (URL shortener)

Perhaps it's time to invest in Greenland domains don't you think ?
You can't go wrong if it's endorsed by Google.

•••
Do you mind sharing the names? or if not, whether they are dictionary words, 2 word keywords, keyword-based brandable, MUP, etc??

Thanks!

The sold one is a GEO (tourist destination). The other one is a 3 letter food related.

•••
Actually, Google use a number of exotic extensions (other than the usual google.cctld) for certain projects.

Shorteners are completely different though... a lot of companies try to shorten their domains for social media and other purposes.

Also, a single project is hugely different from their parent brand...

Personally I am surprised that they chose a gTLD, though... I would have thought they might have searched for a MUP or something in dot com... but they went for a dictionary brand name and a short version of that for the url...

And to be clear, I am not all for the xyz rush either.

•••

lol....almost took you seriously before realizing that you had to be sarcastic...

•••
I'm surprised Google they didn't go for Alphabet.Company or Alphabet.Google even lol

•••

Congrats on your sales mate !

Would you mind sharing those details too ? So we can have a more accurate picture of the gtld market.

- How many .xyz you own ?
- Are the buyers / inquirers domainers or end users (if you can tell)
- Average renewal fees ?
- Average sales price ?

•••
~3 month ago I sold gamez.xyz for $0.65 :D https://www.namepros.com/threads/gamez-xyz-0-start-14-800-exact-monthly-searches-in-google.859013/

dsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf.png

I like ntlds, but no more xyz names for me..:D

•••
•••
•••
My thoughts, in order, as they hit me:
  • What day is it? Is it April 1st? This must be some kind of prank.
  • Alphabet blocks come to mind. Is this for children?
  • What, what, what?! They used a .XYZ? Okay, this must be a joke.
  • How does one of the richest companies in the world decide to use a .XYZ domain?
  • The domain abc.xyz has 7 syllables and takes forever to say aloud.
  • It looks like random letters if you glance at it quickly.
  • Why didn't they use one of their own new gTLDs? That would make more sense.
  • The domain abc.xyz is probably the best domain name in the entire .XYZ space.
  • I wonder what abc.com (American Broadcasting Company) thinks about this domain?
  • Millions of dollars are going to be invested into .XYZ domains now.
  • Millions of dollars are going to be lost by investing into .XYZ domains.
  • Whoa, they also announced a new CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai, in their blog post. Sneaky!
  • Google, I still love you.
That was a crazy mixture of thoughts and emotions!

Love these points.... so so true

• Millions of dollars are going to be invested into .XYZ domains now.
  • Millions of dollars are going to be lost by investing into .XYZ domains.

•••
I'm surprised Google they didn't go for Alphabet.Company or Alphabet.Google even lol

Alphabet.Google and Alphabet.Google.com wouldn't have made sense if it's supposed to be Google's parent company. Or at least it wouldn't have made sense to me anyway...

•••
One can hear the steadfast .com domainer hardliners and .xyz haters 'cries and sighs' already.

There will now be an explosion of new .xyz domains registered! And the .xyz and new gTLD hater threads..will be on overdrive.
sigh ..if only picking and predicting the Daily Double was this easy!

•••
Congrats on your sales mate !

Would you mind sharing those details too ? So we can have a more accurate picture of the gtld market.

Thank you!

- How many .xyz you own ?
About 45-50.

- Are the buyers / inquirers domainers or end users (if you can tell)
I've sold about 10 and honestly, I don't know.

- Average renewal fees ?
7-8 dollars.

- Average sales price ?
About $450. So no Ferrari, but maybe a scooter ;)

•••
I think it's possible that they wanted to avoid doing something predictable like Alphabet.company or .co. Then it would have looked desperate like they really wanted Alphabet.com to begin with but had to settle for less. But when they have ABC.XYZ they're able to play the "hey, we've always tried to be different right" kind of excuse when everyone in their right mind would rather have Alphabet.com. Since it's owned and used by BMW they had to settle with SOMETHING out of desperation regardless since they were hung up on "Alphabet", but decided to do it in a "creative" way.

•••
•••
Alphabet.Google and Alphabet.Google.com wouldn't have made sense if it's supposed to be Google's parent company. Or at least it wouldn't have made sense to me anyway...

true

•••
Good for .XYZ... But... Am I the only one who is reading this as Google, I mean Alphabet, just taking corporate decision making farther from the public eye and in the process they went with .XYZ to obscure things even more.

•••
I think Google picked .XYZ because they're planning to go down a dark path in the years ahead. :D

•••
Good for .XYZ... But... Am I the only one who is reading this as Google, I mean Alphabet, just taking corporate decision making farther from the public eye and in the process they went with .XYZ to obscure things even more.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of lessons learned from Google's failed "Google Plus" project. They're slowly phasing out Google Plus and probably realized that it's better to launch projects outside of the Google-verse, so that if they fail they're isolated, individual companies not tied to their most important business (search / advertising).

•••

boondo.gl is free

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back