IT.COM

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Data will show that Google.<cctld> will continue to be the most visited sites in the world .

Of course. Besides that, I think the demand for .XYZ will increase. At least me will follow the auctions at NameJet the coming month.

•••
Of course. Besides that, I think the demand for .XYZ will increase. At least me will follow the auctions at NameJet the coming month.

Yes, it's a boon to people who don't mind ripping off people in the short term.

•••
How did they aquire the domain?

•••
•••
How did they aquire the domain?

The bought it from the registry; it was part of their restricted domain names that they sell at premium pricing.

This is a standard practice by all new TLD registries.

•••
The bought it from the registry; it was part of their restricted domain names that they sell at premium pricing.

This is a standard practice by all new TLD registries.
Hey Bob! Somebody wants to buy abc.xyz at our premium ..what? Your kidding me! No! Come look! Probably how that conversation went ..lol

•••
I picked one at random:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...cle_deb2c6a5-ac5e-5b3f-9035-1fd02b7cd1dc.html

Zero mention of abc.xyz

Of course people are talking about it, it's news. For today. But you really don't understand the difference between a holding/parent company type site and one people would actually visit?

Of course I know the difference. Why shouldn't I?

Fact 1: Google Inc are re-organizing and have set up an umbrella company called Alphabet. They are using a .XYZ domain.

Fact 2: Google .com/ccTLD will still be their most visited service.

•••
Amazing, if last week someone here would have suggested that google would form a parent company using the .xyz extension, they would have been ridiculed relentlessly.

•••
Of course I know the difference. Why shouldn't I?

I based that on your posts. Somehow you think a url most people will never visit or know about is somehow supposed to float all the other new gtlds as well. Doesn't make much sense.

If it was Google.com changing to abc.xyz, that's when you get excited, people will actually get exposed to it. Not some parent/holding/company url.

And if they paid any money for it, dumb. I'm sure if Google asked them to give it to them, they could have gotten it for free, just for the imagined exposure and then for marketing. Of course what they paid for it, is probably lunch money to them anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Amazing, if last week someone here would have suggested that google would form a parent company using the .xyz extension, they would have been ridiculed relentlessly.

People are ridiculing Google instead =)

Did you see they are going to rebrand gmail alphamail?

I think a lot of this announcement it to allow rise of Sundar Pichai to CEO to be in the shadows...and as @johname said to allow their traditional business to be separated from their more "playful" adventures. If G didn't have so much cash and short term assets I'd be worried about their future intentions as they are picking up more losses than wins. Also - Larry and Sergey never really grew up and like to be off the wall.

•••
Alphabet.xyz regged in 12/2014 Dynadot, privacy, For sale at Afternic the domain returns no website.

•••
Over 260 Alphabet .com domains get regged on Google Announcement

With the announcement of Google forming a new holding company to hold all their businesses not just Google, it was to be expected we would see a burst of Alphabet related domain registrations. The new holding company is going to be using a .XYZ but that did not stop speculators from regging a bunch of .coms. Some names use alphabet and then a Google project as the second word, … [Read more...]

•••
I see a landrush for alpha names on the horizon.

•••
Alphabet.xyz regged in 12/2014 Dynadot, privacy, For sale at Afternic the domain returns no website.

gtld link/forum/main-forum/12924-sold-too-cheap

•••
•••
Google wanted a short generic new gTLD and they got it with .xyz. Who really knows at this time how much traffic the site will get, a lot I'm sure.

Great day for .xyz, congrats to them!

•••
Once again subliminal messages in advertising....
seks.PNG

Nothing sells like some good sekz and sex [thx to gustave]... I want to know who pam is..

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
There is also a x on the same as Z, not sure if you saw it

And it is too.... it's crazy how often this kind of thing goes on in marketing... wonder if it's a joke or serious.

•••
•••
•••
Another domain name that is going to receive a lot of inquiries this week:
Domain Name: ABCXYZ.COM
Creation Date: 2000-11-20T17:48:01.00Z

When most of the world hears abc.xyz (if they ever do), these will be typed into browsers:
  • abcxyz.com (does not resolve)
  • abc.xyz.com (the .XYZ registry redirects it to the correct abc.xyz)
  • abc xyz.com (depending on the browser and ISP, it will lead to nothing, ads, or a search engine)
  • abc.xyz (correct, and the last thing most people will try)

•••
Another domain name that is going to receive a lot of inquiries this week:

When most of the world hears abc.xyz (if they ever do), these will be typed into browsers:
  • abcxyz.com (does not resolve)
  • abc.xyz.com (the .XYZ registry redirects it to the correct abc.xyz)
  • abc xyz.com (depending on the browser and ISP, it will lead to nothing, ads, or a search engine)
  • abc.xyz (correct, and the last thing most people will try)

Not true Google has enough money to help people understand ABC.XYZ and in the short run this will also help all new gTLDS. :xf.wink:

.xyz is the big winner and new .xyz regs are high today!

•••
Not true Google has enough money to help people understand ABC.XYZ and in the short run this will also help all new gTLDS. :xf.wink:

.xyz is the big winner and new .xyz regs are high today!

How about reading, do they have enough money to teach people that?

"The goal isn’t to make Alphabet a consumer brand, Page said."

They have no reason to get people to learn abc.xyz because of all the confusion that comes with it. And, there is nothing there for the people.

Did they have enough money for people to understand Buzz or Froogle, or Google Plus which is falling apart or their failed affiliate network etc. Nope.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back