Dynadot

.tv Google rank

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
i was thinking of going to scotland for my hols this year so i have been looking on google i know scotland.tv is up on google for some time now..but i type scotland to google and i dont see it ,its a good keyword why is it not high....do keyword matter anymore?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hullswingerscom said:
i was thinking of going to scotland for my hols this year so i have been looking on google i know scotland.tv is up on google for some time now..but i type scotland to google and i dont see it ,its a good keyword why is it not high....do keyword matter anymore?

In order to rank high in google, you need to beat your competitions in search engine optimization methods (contents, backlinks, so on).
Scotland is a very competitive keyword in Google, and even if the name is a generic, it will be hard to rank unless you can beat the other competitions trying to rank high for the word "scotland".

•••
I think this topic has been beat into the ground. Scotland.tv is a new site. Not enough time to get out the sandbox.

•••
I guess i should pop in & answer this.

Scotland.tv is only part developed, it is mostly an empty site which doesn't get updated & has had very little SEO so i really wouln't expect it to rank high on such a competitive keyword.

Does not matter how good a domain you have, without SEo & regular content then you have no chance of beating others who are doing everything possible to get ahead.

•••
Agree. Google loves fresh content especially.

•••
i can not get a rank on my tv and there only one man and his dog live there.

anyway were going to spain now.

•••
localexperts said:
I think this topic has been beat into the ground. Scotland.tv is a new site. Not enough time to get out the sandbox.

Absolutely right George.Around and around we go .

But i will say it one more time.

Google.co.uk searches

Search "Liverpool" 106,000,000 Results
www.liverpoolfc.tv Number 2

Search "Five" 534,000,000 Results
www.five.tv Number 1

Search "Bid" 322,000,000 Results
www.bid.tv Number 2

Search "Justin" 110,000,000 Results
www.justin.tv Number 1

Search "Geo" 109,000,000 Results
www.geo.tv Number 1

.TV can and does rank high in Google search, but like anything there is no quick fix, you need time and to to put some effort into SEO,updated content and have a site that attracts visitors
All the sites above are established ,popular sites that have been around for a while, you can't expect to throw a site up that gets barely any visitors and get it high up the results in a few months and then say that .TV does not rank in Google.

Last edited:
•••
i can get my one page .co.uk to rank better then any of my tv....

i can understand the name you point out doing well on google

but i agree i should not have started this thread....

but ill end it by saying i dont think TV ranks in google well for me..

•••
hullswingerscom said:
i can get my one page .co.uk to rank better then any of my tv....

i can understand the name you point out doing well on google

but i agree i should not have started this thread....

but ill end it by saying i dont think TV ranks in google well for me..

Hull's is it Cottingham.tv your talking about?

If so then the main reason it won't rank well is the SEO.
As far as i can see you have not set any meta tags, description, keywords...etc
I bet if you do that then you will see better results.

If you can sort out the meta tags & try add a little fresh content every few days then i see no reason at all why you won't get on the 1st page of Google. IMHO

I can guarantee it's possible, i get more than 60% of my traffic from Google on many search terms that are far more competitive that 'Cottingham' so don't worry about Google & .TV

Here is an example of the Meta Tags from one of your competitors (Cottingham Times), if you done similar & added fresh regular content then you could/should have a much better search position:

<title>Cottingham-Times. The online face of the Cottingham Times Magazine for Cottingham & District - Welcome To The Cottingham Times</title>
<meta name="title" content="Welcome To The Cottingham Times" />
<meta name="author" content="Administrator" />
<meta name="description" content="Welcome to the Cottingham Times website, the on-line face of the Cottingham Times Magazine for Cottingham & District. We hope you like the look of our site, which over the coming months will contain lots of news, articles and information, something for everyone, no matter what their age or interests. There are various categories including: Our Advertisers, Classifieds, Home & Garden, Health & Beauty, Pubs & Restaurants, Back Issues and What's On!" />
<meta name="keywords" content="cottingham times, cottingham health, cottingham gardening, cottingham back issues, cottingham whats on, cottingham classified, cottingham beauty, cottingham advertisers, cottingham restaurants, cottingham pubs, cottingham history, nutri energetics, cottingham yoga, cottingham tai chi, cottingham slimming, skidby, cottingham parks, cottingham parks golf club, skidby lakes, cottingham in the kitchen, cottingham parish council, cotta, castle hill cottingham, cottingham lights, market green, west green, hallgate, finkle street cottingham, king street cottingham, cottingham scouts, cottingham cubs, st. mary's church cottingham, cottingham guides, cottingham brownies, the lawns cottingham" />

Last edited:
•••
Just a quick update.

Hull's tell's me that the meta tags are set for this site & if so then i'd like to apologize for saying they are not IF i am wrong.
I have never worked with Wordpress so possibly i'm missing them or something when i looked through the code.
Just thought i'd say this as i wouldn't want to be slagging off Hull's site when it is me who missed the tags although i'm not sure if it was me who missed it or there is a problem with his site.

IF somebody who knows more about Wordpress could look at it & maybe let Hull's know if the meta tags are working OK, i'm sure he would be happy with the assistance as he is trying hard to get this site ranked well but so far has had no luck so it's getting him down.

Keep the faith Hull's & your site will be on page 1 soon enough :kickass:

•••
•••
shocko said:
I can only see a Title tag which just says Cottingham.TV but no description or keywords.

You need a SEO plugin for Wordpress or else you won't get anywhere. http://mashable.com/2009/03/20/wordpress-seo-plugins/

Thats what i see too Shocko.
Hull's is trying to sort it, i'm sure once he has the meta tags on it then things will improve.

•••
ok thanks all i just make a post in wordpress and add the meta tags in a box..

l;ooks like iam doing this wrong...ill check on this

i have now got the seo plug .

Last edited:
•••
hullswingerscom said:
i can not get a rank on my tv and there only one man and his dog live there.

anyway were going to spain now.

well i sure can...
3 of my domains get pure se traffic, all of them is highly competitive

•••
well i sure can...
3 of my domains get pure se traffic, all of them is highly competitive

what names and how did you get your good rank i would like to see just the keyword not something like keywordtv .

Last edited:
•••
hullswingerscom said:
what names and how did you get your good rank i would like to see just the keyword not something like keywordtv .

Hull's i had meant to ask If your site ranks well in Yahoo or any of the other search engines or is it just Google your having trouble with just now?

I have noticed that Cottingham.tv does show up on page 1 often of Google when you search for anything to do with your blog posts.

For example your last posts was about parking charges in Cottingham & if you search for 'Cottingham parking' then your site is 2nd in the results on Google.
Search for 'Cottingham Map' your 6th in Google.
Search for Cottingham Quiz' your 1st on Google

In my view it's for terms like 'Location & Keyword' that any new Geo has the best chance of picking up traffic so id i was you then i'd worry more about picking up traffic from searches like this rather than the broad search of just 'Cottingham'

If you post about a different subject each day like
'Cottingham shopping'
'Cottingham pubs'
'Cottingham events'
& so on then you should get on the 1st page of the results for many different smaller search terms & through all these exact terms then your traffic will grow.

That's how i'd do it anyway.
I know that in my Scotland.tv or Glasgow.tv then my chances of being on page 1 for the pure Geo search are small so i'll worry about getting traffic through searches like "Glasgow nightlife, "Scotland hotels"
It all add's up, lots of traffic coming from many search terms & spread all over your site.

Good Luck with it all Hull's, hope the plug in SHocko told you about helps you there. I'm off to do my own SEO now for my next site, i'll probably be busy for about 3 weeks solid!

Ronnie

Last edited:
•••
Hull's i had meant to ask If your site ranks well in Yahoo or any of the other search engines or is it just Google your having trouble with just now..

just google with the main keyword...

i have had a few messages from namepros members saying they get a good rank with keywordtv or keyword.tv..but who types these?

talking about the main keyword here nothing else....

•••
Hulls, JFYI when I type the word Cottingham into google your cottingham.tv comes up on page three at #25 in the search.

•••
hullswingerscom said:
i have had a few messages from namepros members saying they get a good rank with keywordtv or keyword.tv..but who types these?

talking about the main keyword here nothing else....

I agree with that Hull's, only worry about terms that your users will actually type in & unless your offering a TV service then 'Cottingham TV' isn't one of them.

What about Yahoo Hull's, do you get better results there??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back