Dynadot

GoDaddy sold me domains that are already registered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bretttina

Top Member
Impact
OK today i was doing my usual search on Godaddy and found two domains that i wanted to buy, they were both being displayed as available and i went through all the process and paid for them.
Then i get an email saying these domains are not available :yell:
I checked on Nominet and both are already registered one was registered in 2003 and the other was registered in 2011 ????

What the hell is going on??

I'm furious that Godaddy can do this , more to the point are they allowed to??

I have sent a ticket to them and i am waiting to hear back.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This happens every now and then, nothing new. You will be issued a refund.

•••
Really? i thought that you put your trust in these people to provide a secure and honest service

How often does this happen?

•••
Calm down. Happened to me with another registrar as well.

•••
Did you try to buy some names that were about to drop? Sometimes when they are in the pending delete period they " look " available but if renewed they show the original date of registration ( like 2003 for example ).
Nothing new under the sun though..IT HAPPONS!

•••
Hi photo,

I was just typing in as i usually it said that the .com was registered but the other extensions were available and were displayed in the selections, i selected what i wanted went through the steps and paid, then got the email saying unable to register my domains i have checked with whois and i was only updated in November last year so it wasn't about to expire.

I have received an email now saying that it will be refunded to my card but it wasn't the point all i was saying was that they shouldn't mess up like this

•••
Happened to me with beachhome.com . It is frustrating but verisign manages over 110 million names so any data set that large is bound to have errors.

•••
There are various ways to query whether a domain is available, and domains "in limbo" can yield different results across different methods. GoDaddy and other big registrars most often query registries directly via proprietary means. These are most certainly fallible, and that is not the fault of GoDaddy.

For example, a relatively reliable means of determining the existence of a domain is DNS. dig is my tool of choice, and kloth.net happens to provide online access to dig, along with a bunch of other cool Linux toys. Let's see what happens when I query an obviously non-existent domain with dig:

Input:

Note: the trailing dot on the next line is not a typo; fully qualified domain names (FQDNs) always end in a dot.
Domain: vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com.
Server: localhost
Query: SOA (start of authority)

Output:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> @localhost vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com SOA
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 42699
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com. IN SOA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com. 900 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1393073555 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 13 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 22 13:52:55 2014
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 114

The most important part is in red: NXDOMAIN. That means "non-existent domain": it's most likely available for registration.

Then we have the SOA response in green and blue. The green text is important because it shows "com." instead of "vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com."--since com. exists, its SOA record will show which nameserver is authoritative for vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com, seeing how vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com lacks its own SOA record. This is another sign that the domain is available: all functioning second level domains need their own SOA records, or they won't resolve.

The blue text shows that VeriSign's nameservers are authoritative. Even if the domain existed and had its own SOA record, this value would be a good indication that the domain was in some sort of limbo, as the registry (not registrar) currently has control over the domain. Such a domain could theoretically become available to the public at any moment.

If you had queried this domains via DNS, you probably would have found that they were already taken, even if they didn't resolve to IPv4 addresses--that is, they could have been lacking A records.

Another method is WHOIS. WHOIS is an actual protocol, like DNS; it's separate from the web (HTTP), though most people only know how to access it via websites. There are programs that can query WHOIS servers directly; kloth.net has a web wrapper around the Linux whois program, but it doesn't let you specify a custom server to query, so it's not that great for new gTLDs and some ccTLDs. I'm going to use the actual GNU whois program on Linux to run an example query, since I'm not satisfied with kloth.net's solution, but you should be able to achieve similar results there.

Input:

Code:
whois vnuerkgnumrnfujencj.com

Output:

Truncated for brevity.

Code:
Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

No match for partial "VNUERKGNUMRNFUJENCJ.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:18:12 UTC <<<

Tangent:

In reality, TLDs aren't any different from second level domains. Though ICANN forbids it, a TLD can have A records and resolve to an IP address, so there could be a website, at, say, http://com/ or http://net/. The TLD/SLD line is drawn by ICANN, not by the DNS protocol--or any other widespread technical protocol, for that matter. Watch, I can run a WHOIS query on com:

Code:
paul@vm:~$ whois -h whois.iana.org com
% IANA WHOIS server
% for more information on IANA, visit http://www.iana.org
% This query returned 1 object

domain:       COM

organisation: VeriSign Global Registry Services
address:      12061 Bluemont Way
address:      Reston Virginia 20190
address:      United States

name:         Registry Customer Service
phone:        +1 703 925-6999
fax-no:       +1 703 948 3978
e-mail:       [email protected]

name:         Registry Customer Service
phone:        +1 703 925-6999
fax-no:       +1 703 948 3978
e-mail:       [email protected]

nserver:      A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.5.6.30 2001:503:a83e:0:0:0:2:30
nserver:      B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.33.14.30 2001:503:231d:0:0:0:2:30
nserver:      C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.26.92.30
nserver:      D.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.31.80.30
nserver:      E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.12.94.30
nserver:      F.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.35.51.30
nserver:      G.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.42.93.30
nserver:      H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.54.112.30
nserver:      I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.43.172.30
nserver:      J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.48.79.30
nserver:      K.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.52.178.30
nserver:      L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.41.162.30
nserver:      M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET 192.55.83.30
ds-rdata:     30909 8 2 E2D3C916F6DEEAC73294E8268FB5885044A833FC5459588F4A9184CFC41A5766

whois:        whois.verisign-grs.com

remarks:      Registration information: http://www.verisign-grs.com

created:      1985-01-01
changed:      2012-02-15
source:       IANA

Last edited:
•••
Wow thanks for the lesson really appreciated :) for a newbie domainer

•••
Domain

Why they issued that domain, if it is already registered...

•••
The means of checking aren't proprietary; anyone can apply for access to the Zone File, which all registrars get access to, de-facto, and any domain more than 5 days old in the Zone is going to be unavailable (at least through the day).

Past that, registrars can do availability checks with the registry to get the canonical status of the domain in question through standardized connections to the registry; due to the limited bandwidth of these connections and the return speed from them, though, some Registrars try to assume what the status is (using the zone, recent lookups, etc) without actually checking until they attempt to buy on your behalf. If a registrar faithfully checks with Verisign, the data returned is guaranteed canonical (at that moment in time), if they assume... you know the adage.

Then there's the redemption/pending domains which aren't registerable yet that some registrars will let you buy on backorder (GoDaddy doesn't make it terribly obvious that's what's happening) while others (like NameBright) will tell you they're unavailable.

Based on your experience, it sounds like GoDaddy tried to make an assumption, took your money, THEN checked and found them unavailable.

•••
This happens. Godaddy normally sends an order confirmation by email, which may imply that the payment itself is not actual confirmation.
Either way, there are so many more pressing issues Godaddy has yet to work on.

•••
Happened to me too. Still haven't received my refund.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back