NameSilo

question GoDaddy refund after 45 days? NP! VERIFY?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Help NP!

I thought I was screwed thee other day!
As you all may know I was in the hospital around the holidays or recovering. Wasn't really "domaining like a boss" at the time around Dec 25. was loopy on pain meds.

There were some domains that I had set to NOT RENEW but upon checking days after their expiration dates. I saw they had been renewed and in my account they were set to auto-renew! AND the worst part? I was past the 5 day grace period.

So I figured I was screwed! But today I called my registrar Cheapdomain aka WildWestDomains which is a reseller for Godaddy so that means they have the same refund policy and spoke to a very helpful lady THIS TIME AROUND ( the other lady was just inadequate. All she kept saying was I was past due on my "grace period" of 5 days. so no refund.)

She told me that I had 45 days from the date of payment for renewal to get a refund so long as it was not a first time reg or a manual renewal.

Seems as though if you set a domain to auto-renew and you want to delete you get 45 days grace period to get a refund.

really odd I think? almost too good to be TRUE!

this is why I had to ask Namepros to confirm all this.

is this true? I asked her to send me the refund policy and she emailed me this link.

check it out.

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=19963&prog_id=PROG_ID

I've read it and I'm convinced I do have 45 days. so the domains I did not want renewed back in Dec 25 she said I could delete for refund.

But I don't trust it. force of habit.

Can someone please confirm and ease my mind on this? I don't want to delete domains that I won't be getting refunds on. I'm sure you all understand this. I have some typo domains that I did not plan on renewing among others.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was told you cannot get a refund on a domain, period.

•••

I thought the same too friend but did you read that link?

it's kinda crazy but it does say in plain english. in the link I provided above.

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=19963&prog_id=PROG_ID

It says this:

Domain Name Registrations/Renewals

1. Standard Terms

· New Registration 5 Days (120 Hours)

· Auto-Renewal (one-year) 45 Days (1080 hours)

· Auto-Renewal (multiple-year) 5 Days (120 Hours)

· Manual Renewal 5 Days (120 Hours)

There's more stuff on there. it's pretty lengthy. am I missing something?

•••

what I kept hearing on Namepros was (for my crap domains get a grace delete, grace delete,grace delete.) you only get 5 days.

did not know that 5 days applies only to new reg, auto-renew ( multi-year) and Manual Renewal.

lucky by accident or a flaw in my registrar's system. most my domains are on auto-renew.

really strange. so Today is 1/8/17 that means even if I go back to my receipts up to Dec 1st 2016 I'd still have an extra 5 days to get refund on my auto-renewed domains!

Please please please can someone confirm this? It really doesn't sound too good to be true!

•••
Guy musta lied to me then cause I brought up the 5 days thing and he said no and talked me out of it. Damnit.

•••
@Avtar629 - just do one as a test and limit your losses if its wrong? What was your cheapest autorenew? That seems pretty clear to me that you have 45 days on auto-renew, no personal experience though.

PS Are all yours COMs?

@Shuttlepro - were you at GoDaddy and what extension was it? Not all have the same terms

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Avtar629 - just do one as a test and limit your losses if its wrong? What was your cheapest autorenew? That seems pretty clear to me that you have 45 days on auto-renew, no personal experience though.

PS Are all yours COMs?

@Shuttlepro - were you at GoDaddy and what extension was it? Not all have the same terms

most are of course .com's some .net's you are right. I will do what I can do right now in the 5 day grace. and then one way back in December 1 and after as a test.

smart advice. thanks.

guess no sleep tonite. they are kinda bogged down with calls as the wait time seems to be 30-45 minutes.

must be sales from Namescon? transfers?

•••
@Avtar629 - Why you need to test just one domain? Test them all at once. Would be my advice.

•••
•••
Interesting!

I guess you could not get better information and advice than from GD reps and TOS.
(I'd screenshot that rep conversation for eventual future reference)

Keep us posted :)

•••
@Avtar629 - Why you need to test just one domain? Test them all at once. Would be my advice.

Guess because if not refunded, domain is gone. Otherwise he'd have a full year to try selling.

•••

oh because what if what that rep told me was BS? this is the first time I've heard of this 45 grace period. always heard of the 5 day grace on NP. so it was BS because she seemed uncertain. although she did provide that link to that refund page.

part of me is worried that if I delete a renewed domain I paid for. then it's like throwing money out the window if this 45 day grace period is bs. I'd be deleting domains with no refund.

so I think I'll do one domain first maybe from as far back as possible maybe even end of Nov. see if they refund me. all it takes is 1.Delete 2. call them up for the refund.

if they say "oh no! that 45 day grace is bs sorry" then at least I don't make a bad situation worse.

•••
•••
I've had sooooo many issues with GD lately .. but I do have a great rep (who I feel sorry for having to deal with me since I seem to be the only person experiencing bugs in their system .. lol).

I had a bunch of my pre-domaining domains I wanted to expire that auto-renewed .. even if I remembered manually removing my old C/C from auto-charges .. and never even setting my newer one .. (although that might not even be an option anymore) .. problem was that there was a lot of them and I was looking to keep about 5% of the best ones only ... he told me it was no problem and that I had 45 days .. so that I could take my time to decide which ones I wanted to keep and just contact him back when I knew the ones I wanted to cancel.

I almost forgot about it .. but like 40+ days later I sent him the list and presto .. they were cancelled within a few hours I'm pretty sure. No problems at all ...

So to answer your question .. yes .. 45 days! :)

•••
•••
I've had sooooo many issues with GD lately .. but I do have a great rep (who I feel sorry for having to deal with me since I seem to be the only person experiencing bugs in their system .. lol).

I had a bunch of my pre-domaining domains I wanted to expire that auto-renewed .. even if I remembered manually removing my old C/C from auto-charges .. and never even setting my newer one .. (although that might not even be an option anymore) .. problem was that there was a lot of them and I was looking to keep about 5% of the best ones only ... he told me it was no problem and that I had 45 days .. so that I could take my time to decide which ones I wanted to keep and just contact him back when I knew the ones I wanted to cancel.

I almost forgot about it .. but like 40+ days later I sent him the list and presto .. they were cancelled within a few hours I'm pretty sure. No problems at all ...

So to answer your question .. yes .. 45 days! :)

Thanks for the confirm Ategy! but....one last question. you think that 45 day rule applies with their resellers like CheapDomain.com? aka WildWestDomains?

much appreciated!

•••
Interesting!

I guess you could not get better information and advice than from GD reps and TOS.
(I'd screenshot that rep conversation for eventual future reference)

Keep us posted :)

seems like Ategy confirmed it. now all I need is a confirm if it applies to all Godaddy Resellers?
see when I called CheapDomain I often get routed to a Godaddy rep.

•••
Sorry to say that on that front I have no idea! I don't use either ...

•••
Did you try one yet @Avtar629 ?

Even still, I always like to get official ruling : smile :
my registrar Cheapdomain aka WildWestDomains which is a reseller for Godaddy so that means they have the same refund policy . . .
Your reseller is CheapDomain dot com, correct? (Many similar)

@Joe Styler - would you be so kind as to confirm or share correct info if all GD resellers have 45 day Refund on one-year Auto-Renewal?

Even better would be to confirm or share correct info if all GD Resellers are required to have identical terms to GD?

•••

Forgot to comment here. So my only guess is it wasn't a .com or .net or .org?

Was it a new reg? Or one set to auto renew?

Going to need details to help you out.

Also helps any newbie in the future reading this.

•••
Did you try one yet @Avtar629 ?

Even still, I always like to get official ruling : smile :

Your reseller is CheapDomain dot com, correct? (Many similar)

@Joe Styler - would you be so kind as to confirm or share correct info if all GD resellers have 45 day Refund on one-year Auto-Renewal?

Even better would be to confirm or share correct info if all GD Resellers are required to have identical terms to GD?
If you have any questions about refunds you can contact the reseller's support channel. The terms of service for that reseller will state the refund policies and the support for them can answer refund questions specific to them.

•••
If you have any questions about refunds you can contact the reseller's support channel. The terms of service for that reseller will state the refund policies and the support for them can answer refund questions specific to them.

oh boy here we go! Thanks Joe. I did contact the Cheapdomain "hotline" but after explaining my "situation" to the rep. I found out after that she had sent me a link to that Godaddy Refund page.

so I really don't know. . if I called back to CheapDomain. I'll get a different person. hopefully not the same inadequate woman who gave me the wrong info. but guaranteed it will be Godaddy support.

every now and then they do get confused as to which site I have an account with that I'm contacting them about and don't realized that I am not an actual Godaddy customer but a customer of Cheapdomain.com until later down the line in the conversation.

This rep Kathleen person gave me the right info so I gave her a stellar survey rating.

They need more people like her who knows what the heck they are doing instead of just clocking in and clocking out.

Anyways. Any chance you can confirm this refund policy applies to resellers? are you saying they might be different over at CheapDomain?

because like I said if I do call the CheapDomain number I DO get a Godaddy rep 8 out 10 times.

and I'm assuming they will all give me the same info.

•••
I cant confirm it applies to all resellers. We have a couple types of resellers some are able to do their own support and some are not. Your best bet is to contact the support channel on the website.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back