IT.COM

advice GoDaddy new transfer policy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just a heads up, Godaddy now has a new policy that restricts internal account changes for 10 days after a domain name has been transferred to Godaddy. I used to transfer domain names for my clients on a certain date and then immediately push them to their account, now you must wait 10 days before you can initiate the transfer to their account.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has this new policy been announced publicly before coming into effect? Haven't heard or read about it at all..

•••
It's actually an old policy.

•••
nope, it used to be just 5 days not too long ago.. afterwards pushes were always possible, 100% certain of it

•••
Mine has always been 10 days. I'm very sure of that

•••
How about they do the opposite (much more needed) - block transfer out immediately after changing accounts (tactic mostly used by thieves)

•••
@Joe Styler this is a really bad policy for when you want to transfer, and push a sale at godaddy to a new client.

Clients will be forced to open new accounts at current registry, than go thru the code input chaos of an Auth code transfer.

This policy should be optional on an account.

Not a good step.

•••
@Joe Styler this is a really bad policy for when you want to transfer, and push a sale at godaddy to a new client.

This policy should be optional on an account.

why not give auth code to buyer so he transfers himself?

•••
this is horrible. very bad for us domain traders. I have a deal in escrow right now that that is going to ruin!!!!

•••
why not give auth code to buyer so he transfers himself?
They have to enter transaction codes, for beginners, or impatient people this could hurt deals.

It's a bit of a nuisance process compared to a single auth code entry.

Could delay transfer process by up to 5 days also.

Godaddy only hurting themselves with such a move, consult all the wrong people.

•••
They have to enter transaction codes, for beginners, or impatient people this could hurt deals.

Could delay transfer process by up to days also.

ah ok. that's what you meant.
valid point!

in the end, maybe its all about having as many options as possible availablke to us. versus seeing them constantly limited.

thus, I agree and support your point to @Joe Styler

•••
Before if the domain is not at godaddy, will be like ok we will move it for you.

Now it will be like open an account here, and we will push.

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

•••
Does this apply to a newly registered domains also?

•••
I've never had this happen to me until about a week ago. I've transferred hundreds of domains from other registrars for clients and immediately transferred it to their account with no problems. I reached out to my rep who said it was a new policy.

•••

Could delay transfer process by up to 5 days also.

I see what you mean, if a buyer only uses Godaddy they will have to transfer the domain name to Godaddy themselves since you wouldn't be able to transfer it and push it. I agree. I've also transferred a few hundred domains to Godaddy over the years for buyers like this.

•••
We do not have any kind of policy like this. You can push a name to a different GoDaddy account all day long as many accounts as you want as soon as it hits your account. Transfer, new purchase or otherwise. We never had any kind of policy like this. There are transfer out restrictions and ICANN locks regarding moves to another registrar etc but nothing prohibits you from moving a name within GoDaddy as long as it is in your account and in good standing.

•••
We do not have any kind of policy like this. You can push a name to a different GoDaddy account all day long as many accounts as you want as soon as it hits your account. Transfer, new purchase or otherwise. We never had any kind of policy like this. There are transfer out restrictions and ICANN locks regarding moves to another registrar etc but nothing prohibits you from moving a name within GoDaddy as long as it is in your account and in good standing.

Odd, here's the email from my rep dated Jan 20th:

"Hi Justin,

This domain transferred to GoDaddy on 1/17. Our system prevents it from being COA'd for 10 days after it has been transferred."

•••
I actually saw this message highlighted in yellow now while clicking the more information while doing a account change transfer:

A domain name must be in active status to change accounts. Account changes can only be performed 5 days after the initial registration. Domains that change accounts will have a 10-day transfer lock for fraud protection.

•••
Joe,

Can you get clarification on this? Seems odd that even Godaddy staff aren't fully aware of their policies. I can tell you from experience that I have been unable to transfer several domains after I've transferred them to Godaddy.

•••
Transfer is different than account push. If you want to transfer a domain name from Godaddy to another company, say enom, you can't in certain cases. There are ICANN prohibitions around transferring a newly registered domain for 60 days, also if the name is newly transferred in from another company 60 days. If a domain name is updated to have another registrant we have a 60 day lock you can write in and have reviewed this is a security feature to help cut back on stolen domains which we have very few of because of policies like this but we also allow a manual review that can remove this lock to allow for domain sales.
There are many rules around transfers some set by ICANN and some by the registries themselves not all follow the same rules including cctlds which can make their own rules completely. So as far as getting different answers on transfers each one may have its own rules and need to be taken on a case by case basis. On a move from one GoDaddy account to another there is no hold period. I have also never heard of a 5 or 10 day hold on any kind of domain move. There is a 7 day move process on a transfer if you cant get the losing registrar to expedite the move.

•••
The ICANN rules are widely known to domainers. You stated in a prior post that there is no such 10 day hold for internal account transfers for domains recently transferred to Godaddy from another registrar.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying in my initial post. Basically, if I transfer a domain name today from Enom to Godaddy I would be unable to transfer that domain to another account within Godaddy for 10 days.

•••
There is no restriction around moving a domain name to another GoDaddy account.

•••
There is no restriction around moving a domain name to another GoDaddy account.

good to know!

thanks for confirming

it appears the original poster has made a mistake of some sort.

it is good to have it clarified. thanks. good day.

•••
good to know!

thanks for confirming

it appears the original poster has made a mistake of some sort.

it is good to have it clarified. thanks. good day.

I haven't made a mistake. I re-confirmed with my rep who said he would inform Joe of the policy.

•••
I haven't made a mistake. I re-confirmed with my rep who said he would inform Joe of the policy.

I said.. it appears a mistake.

as you surely understand both you and Mr Joe cannmot be right at same time. so I am sure we all look forward to you updating us on this and your original post. thanks for brining it to everyone's attention, and we look forward to closure. or i do.

good day

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back