IT.COM

advice GoDaddy new transfer policy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just a heads up, Godaddy now has a new policy that restricts internal account changes for 10 days after a domain name has been transferred to Godaddy. I used to transfer domain names for my clients on a certain date and then immediately push them to their account, now you must wait 10 days before you can initiate the transfer to their account.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no policy. I am not sure what else to say. There is not a policy regarding moving domains from a GoDaddy to Godaddy account.

•••
I've pushed 1-2 day old domains to other godaddy accounts just this week...

•••
Just a heads up, Godaddy now has a new policy that restricts internal account changes for 10 days after a domain name has been transferred to Godaddy. I used to transfer domain names for my clients on a certain date and then immediately push them to their account, now you must wait 10 days before you can initiate the transfer to their account.

Joe,

Can you get clarification on this? Seems odd that even Godaddy staff aren't fully aware of their policies. I can tell you from experience that I have been unable to transfer several domains after I've transferred them to Godaddy.

The ICANN rules are widely known to domainers. You stated in a prior post that there is no such 10 day hold for internal account transfers for domains recently transferred to Godaddy from another registrar.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying in my initial post. Basically, if I transfer a domain name today from Enom to Godaddy I would be unable to transfer that domain to another account within Godaddy for 10 days.

Domain Transfer = Move domain from one registrar to Another.
Domain Push = Move domain from one account to another, Within the same registrar.

@rockefeller you keep using the term 'transfer'. A transfer is different than a push. Im 99.99% sure you know this already, but you keep using the terminology wrong. Hence the confusion...

•••
Domain Transfer = Move domain from one registrar to Another.
Domain Push = Move domain from one account to another, Within the same registrar.

@rockefeller you keep using the term 'transfer'. A transfer is different than a push. Im 99.99% sure you know this already, but you keep using the terminology wrong. Hence the confusion...

yes I too noticed OP used transfer here and there when the word was supposed to be push.

perhaps the confusion is in there then. either way, I've had many chats with Mr Joe before, and he's never been wrong, and frankly better and more friendly/knowledgeable company representative than him I've yet to come across on namepros.

I hope the matter is resolved now. I'm sure it was good thread so people become more familiar with rules.

•••
I don't really understand the reading mis-comprehension here. @rockefeller is very clear. 1).He sold a domain not at GoDaddy 2)The buyer wants the domain to be at GoDaddy, 3)He transfers the domain to his GoDaddy account.4)He tries to push to the Buyers GoDaddy account 5)He is blocked from doing so for 10 days.

I think @rockefeller's GoDaddy Account Manager and @Joe Styler need to talk together to get this cleared up and communicated to @rockefeller. ASAP. Then also so post here so we all know what the situation is, going forward.

•••
Thanks, I've been doing this full time for almost 9 years, I know the difference between a push and a transfer. I often call pushes internal account transfer because that's what they are technically called. Anyway, I transferred a domain name into Godaddy yesterday and I'm supposed to push it to a client account, I will post the outcome here.

•••
@rockefeller - I thought you'd already done this in your first post? And were blocked from doing so?

•••
@rockefeller - I thought you'd already done this in your first post? And were blocked from doing so?

I've attempted it multiple times and was unable to until after 10 days, it seems there is some confusion as to whether it can be done, so like I said, I'll post my results here shortly.

•••
Share your Screenshot with Error, so Joe can dig deeply. Might be development bug -_-

•••
Share your Screenshot with Error, so Joe can dig deeply. Might be development bug -_-

Update: Here's something interesting, it appears to have worked. (I won't know until the client tries to accept the domain name) but as of now the status is "changing accounts" when before it would read "pending update", I also received the "change of registrant initiated" email. This domain name was transferred to Godaddy on 2/24/2016.

If it in fact does work I'll be very happy since this is a pain when transferring domains for clients or even when going the extra mile to facilitate a sale. One thing I don't understand is how two people, both Godaddy staff, can have such different explanations for the same thing, there is either a hold or there's not and if there's not I wonder why I've ran into this problem at least twice causing me to reach out to my rep in the first place to find out what was going on.

I'll update this thread once the client is able to accept the domain name into their account.

•••
Probably a temporary glitch coupled with an inexperienced (if not to say unqualified) GD staff..

•••
Probably a temporary glitch coupled with an inexperienced (if not to say unqualified) GD staff..

Yeah that's really the only thing I can think of, some sort of technical glitch..

•••
GEO based (local) GD staff's are not geeks. most of them are noobs, we knew morethan them but Glad we have @Joe Styler here at namepros to resolve, quickly & professional manner.

•••
Update: Here's something interesting, it appears to have worked. (I won't know until the client tries to accept the domain name) but as of now the status is "changing accounts" when before it would read "pending update", I also received the "change of registrant initiated" email. This domain name was transferred to Godaddy on 2/24/2016.

If it in fact does work I'll be very happy since this is a pain when transferring domains for clients or even when going the extra mile to facilitate a sale. One thing I don't understand is how two people, both Godaddy staff, can have such different explanations for the same thing, there is either a hold or there's not and if there's not I wonder why I've ran into this problem at least twice causing me to reach out to my rep in the first place to find out what was going on.

I'll update this thread once the client is able to accept the domain name into their account.
I'd like to know what the name is if you feel comfortable pm'ing me after it moves. I can look into the history and see if there was some kind of technical problem. I'm glad you reached out on here. If I can help you with anything just let me know.

•••
While we're talking about pushes between GoDaddy accounts, can we clarify how this affects the ability of the gaining account to transfer the domain away from GoDaddy, if desired?

I'm referring to the 60 day lock down period.

•••
The 60 day lock goes into affect if the registrant contact is updated - name or company name field - anything added/ removed/changed because the registrant contact denotes ownership so if the owner changes the names is locked as a security measure. However a call/email to us will allow you to initiate a manual review with a form that is filled out. It is a pretty easy process and most of the time the lock is removed within a day. If you are someone who flips a lot of domains chances are we know you well already and the process is further expedited. What we are trying to do is cut back on the ability to steal someone's domain and still not hinder a legitimate move to a new registrar if someone wants to move. If there is an emergency, say do or die on a sale or something similar we can expedite it and remove the lock quickly. Also this lock only impacts transfers to another registrar. You can push the name to another GoDaddy account with this lock in place.

•••
There is no policy. I am not sure what else to say. There is not a policy regarding moving domains from a GoDaddy to Godaddy account.

What is this than?
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 21.26.41.png

And it is not a first time.
I have a copy from GD live chat support and it says - 10 days waiting period for fresh reg. domains.
Good news is that this rules sometime works sometime not. And the second good one is - you can push your domain 2-3 days later, you don't need to wait 10 days like they said. :)

•••
Sorry I cant see that picture can you try and attach it again or message it to me?

•••
•••
After 5 days of registration you can perform push at Godaddy.

•••
After 5 days of registration you can perform push at Godaddy.

And thats only for certain extensions, not .com but I believe .info falls under that policy for new registration and then internal push to a different account. Note, this is not what I was referring to in my initial post.

•••
different registries act differently on domain moves which I alluded to in one of my comments. especially cctlds. I know info is not a cctld obviously but it is not run by verisign either and has different rules.

•••

In the GoDaddy Help section, under "Moving a Domain to another GoDaddy account", is the following:

"A domain name must be in active status to change accounts. Account changes can only be performed 5 days after the initial registration. Domains that change accounts will have a 10-day transfer lock for fraud protection".

When I win an expired domain auction, and that domain moves into my account, my understanding is that it is locked for 10 days, as per GoDaddy's own above Help information. Am I wrong on how I'm reading this?

•••
In the GoDaddy Help section, under "Moving a Domain to another GoDaddy account", is the following:

"A domain name must be in active status to change accounts. Account changes can only be performed 5 days after the initial registration. Domains that change accounts will have a 10-day transfer lock for fraud protection".

When I win an expired domain auction, and that domain moves into my account, my understanding is that it is locked for 10 days, as per GoDaddy's own above Help information. Am I wrong on how I'm reading this?

That's probably another one of the issues is that none of that information is correct. The 5 days only applies to certain extensions and the 10 day lock I've never heard of. When a domain name transfers to a new account AND/OR the domain name is won at auction there is a 60 day transfer hold

•••
When a domain name transfers to a new account AND/OR the domain name is won at auction there is a 60 day transfer hold

I understand about the 60-day transfer lock. However, what GoDaddy's own Help page says (and their phone reps told me) is that the 60-day lock only applies to transfer to another registrar. The 10-day lock applies to account changes (a.k.a Pushes) within GoDaddy accounts.

I agree that this is all very confusing and would appreciate Joe Styler's comments to clarify this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back