IT.COM

GoDaddy issues / ease of management

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems like managing domains at godaddy has become less efficient.

First, my preset profiles for domain registrations no longer work. So I have to check every new registration and change the dns (from godaddy default dns) and the auto renew preferences. It stopped working a month or so ago.

Now today, for the first time I am noticing within the manager, the domains are appearing differently. I used to be able to click on the domain, easily see the dns, the lock status and when it would be removed, the create date, premium setting, tab over to the contacts etc.

Now when I click on the domain it is a completely different story. I cannot see the lock status. I can't see the various contact settings, dns etc. I cannot see much actually. To me this is not good...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, just saw this... It's sad to see that Godaddy moves to more aggressive marketing methods. I've noticed that they added an additional page between Domain search and checkout, the one that offers a lot of additional services. Now this... Instead of Domain Manager we have another landing page with big buttons to activate additional services, and some small, almost invisible links for managing the domain.

Maybe @Joe Styler could explain us the marketing strategy behind these changes... Because I think more and more customers will be disappointed because of this poor user interface...

•••
Yes, it seems I have managed to sign up for a GoCentral free trial without knowing it...

•••
I saw this last week. Anyone knows how we can find old domain manager page?

•••

First, my preset profiles for domain registrations no longer work. So I have to check every new registration and change the dns (from godaddy default dns) and the auto renew preferences. It stopped working a month or so ago.

Now today, for the first time I am noticing within the manager, the domains are appearing differently. I used to be able to click on the domain, easily see the dns, the lock status and when it would be removed, the create date, premium setting, tab over to the contacts etc.

Now when I click on the domain it is a completely different story. I cannot see the lock status. I can't see the various contact settings, dns etc. I cannot see much actually. To me this is not good...

i noticed default dns not working either

only to realize after some failures that it is not instant and may take some hours.. dpeending on god knows what.. so if u don't wanna do manual, you just have to wait for gd to set it up when it gets roundn to it.. I usually get an email aftr reg that says "your domain is not ready to use".. and that for me means dns done too.

as for clicking on domain.. not sure what you mean, but I see contact settings there no prob... dns.. lock etc..

in fact I personally find gd manager THE BEST around.. with most features for domainer etc.. think bulk auth codes as one example.. versus torture of doing one by one (think namecheap and many if not most others). no registrar is perfect, so there will be just those that are closer and further from perfection. gd for me is defiitely in the former category.

I also hear they are working on tottal rework of interface.. but I think this refers to auctions only.. @Joe Styler true???

cheers

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely hate the new manage domain settings page. Visually appealing for newbies. A major letdown to pros. Very disappointed when I saw this a week or so ago. A huge step backward. It would be great if we had the option of the efficient old way vs this baby mush being forced upon us

I still don't care for the fact it takes paying (DDC) in order to get competitive pricing. Hey, I know, maybe we can pay for a pro interface like we had before!!

Last edited:
•••
@alcy

Can you see the lock status anywhere. Meaning if I buy a domain at gd auction, it would tell me the domain was on auction lock until whenever. Or if it was a contact change, it would state contact change lock until...

As for clicking on the domain and what I see. I see contact info at the top. But it does not detail the information as the previous "tab" easily located in the manager did. I am not sure what I am shown is the detail for all aspects of the contacts or what. That is at the top. I do not see the dns setting without scrolling and clicking further. Previously, I could see this immediately along with a host of additional information (lock status, date of creation , date of expiration) When I state "lock status"...not talking about lock or unlocking the domain. I am talking about the additional locks in place due to transfer etc. Which I cannot find right now.

•••
Also...regarding the default settings. I found several domains by accident a few weeks after registration using gd info (dns, etc). Then I had to edit to my preferred profile settings. Now, I just do each domain manually after registration. Time consuming.

I wrote to my account manager a week or so ago after having to do this for a month..... he said basically it had been reported as fixed a few days prior... Then said "Guess it isn't..."

•••
hey folks, if you are seeing the new domain manager page and want to get back to the old look/feel, look for the icon that looks like a bulleted list directly to the right of the "search your domain names" box. There are two icons there, one is three horizontal bars, and the other is a bulleted list, these are meant to toggle between the new and old view.

Attachments

• dcc.gif
    dcc.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 23
•••
@Paul Nicks not seeing what you are describing. do all accounts have it?

•••
•••
Is that an advanced version, I to can't stand the new setting page.

How come we can't removed DBP with one bulk button, each one is one by one?

•••
same. Nothing like this

Hmm, that's a new view that should only roll out to folks between 9-99 domains. @Bearded Goat or @internext could you email me a screencap of the dcc.godaddy.com you are seeing? If it's missing columns/data I will assume you have an alt view as we haven't changed the original in a very long time. email is paul@godaddy

•••
•••
@DomainVP the link to the page you provided is not the problem. The problem begins once you click on a specific domain from that page..

•••
@DomainVP the link to the page you provided is not the problem. The problem begins once you click on a specific domain from that page..

Consider using that view to change ay necessary details instead of clicking on the domain name.

I never click on the domain name and use that main panel to check the domain and then use the top buttons to edit details.

•••
I do.....but the "domain is locked until x date" cannot be found without clicking on the domain. It cannot be found at all right now.

•••
@Paul Nicks has been following up on this for you. We got word yesterday evening that this is how the new manager is but they plan to update it in the near future with that information populated again.

•••
Absolutely hate the new manage domain settings page. Visually appealing for newbies. A major letdown to pros. Very disappointed when I saw this a week or so ago. A huge step backward. It would be great if we had the option of the efficient old way vs this baby mush being forced upon us
It's truly horrible and I'm disgusted with it. Any talk about customer "experiences", well mine has gone to shit.

Last edited:
•••
We appreciate the feedback and we will continue to work to get a great experience for everyone. We have been working on some new improvements on a couple interfaces that will be released this year which I think will be a great addition for people who actively invest in domains.
This initial change is part of an overall goal of improving the customer experience. We have heard feedback for years from customers that they didn't like the one size fits all experience and we are customizing the experience for people to make it better for each group. So for instance if you are a domain investor maybe you are more interested in seeing your domains and when they expire or how they are listed for sale then you are in learning about a new ecommerce solution. And maybe you would like a faster way to check out the domain you want to buy without being asked if you want hosting each time as an added step. Also maybe you want a better more robust domain search experience for identifying and buying domains etc. As a person with two or three domains maybe you want to know how to set up email or point to a facebook page with one click and as a large company maybe you want to manage 300 ssls easily. So we have different types of users with different needs and we have identified domain investors as one of the groups, we have some exciting things planned in that area and think that it will be a much better overall experience as we continue to release new things this year. This is only one piece of it and it will change and become better with feedback like what we hear here so thank you. And know that some things are coming in the near future for domain investors which I think everyone will like.

•••
@Joe Styler sounds good. But how about getting the features that are supposed to be working working again. Like preset profiles.

•••
@Joe Styler sounds good. But how about getting the features that are supposed to be working working again. Like preset profiles.

Cheers for the thread as I didn't know you could change to either format but you probably know by now but I just checked and it's the square divided edge in to 4 for the new layout and 4 horizontal bars for older layout that shows expiry and lock etc

•••

I'm also going quietly nuts because I can no longer see the (transfer) lock status anymore. Has anybody found a way to see this information yet? Having this essential information no longer available can hardly be considered an improvement. Please @Joe Styler, is there anyway to see this information?

•••
I'm also going quietly nuts because I can no longer see the (transfer) lock status anymore. Has anybody found a way to see this information yet? Having this essential information no longer available can hardly be considered an improvement. Please @Joe Styler, is there anyway to see this information?
It's coming back soon.

•••
I'm also going quietly nuts because I can no longer see the (transfer) lock status anymore. Has anybody found a way to see this information yet?
Actually if you click on the individual domain in your list, then scroll down below "Contact Information" you will see "Additional Settings" and Lock Status should be under that.

Hope this helps.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back