Dynadot

Why are GoDaddy closeouts subject to 60-day lock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does anyone know this answer? I cannot understand why godaddy closeout domains are subject to the 60 day transfer lock when the domain is coming from a godaddy account to a godaddy account.

surely, it should be as simple as an account push so the 60 day lock is not necessary

Anyone know?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know the actual reason, but I do think some of the names from GD Expired Auctions are from other registrars (so they are not always a push)? Unless all Closeouts only include GoDaddy names?

One thing for sure is I have purchased Closeouts. Once they hit my account I actually do a change of Contact Info. When I get the email to confirm the change of Account Info, there is a button to select whether to enable the 60-Day Lock. I've never tried to disable the 60-Day lock and transfer out a name. I might try that on my next Closeout Purchase.

•••
What @DN_Hunter said. For in-house domains, even a push involves whois change which mandates a 60 day transfer lock as per ICANN policy. Finally, GD also has their own auction lock to counter cases of fraud (and potential chargebacks) in which case they can take control of the domain name

•••
It actually doesn't have anything to do with what registrar it comes from. It's simply because the contact info automatically changes to your accounts' defaults.

The actual reason for the 60 day lock is a change in contact information. Certain fields are except at certain registrars .. but it's safe to say that at all registrars the moment the name of registrant changes, the domain is frozen 60 days. Often Address and email will do the same thing.

A few domains I've wholesaled I've just pushed to the buyer without changing contact info so that they themselves could transfer out as soon as they wanted to. (Also because the GoDaddy platform is buggy and sometimes(/often) authorisation emails don't get sent out). Obviously only do this with buyers you trust.

Also .. for some time now GoDaddy tinkers and shields most/all of the old owners information .. so I don't really see any way to get around this aside from setting your account default to the same as GoDaddy's .. which I don't really recommend for hopefully obvious reason .. lol

•••
But you can opt out of the 60 day lock when contact details change, i do it all the time on other registrars. So they should give us the option of opting out of this.

•••
Maybe they put the lock by default because in the past the original owner could still transfer out the name or pay the redemption fee to retain the name. But now that they changed their rules for how long the prior owner can renew (I think it's 30 days now), perhaps they should stop putting on the 60-day lock by default.

•••
@DN_Hunter Yes, i agree. I can understand if the closeout purchase was from a different registrar as some domains on closeouts are from different registrars on occasions. However, if the domain is held on godaddy then they should give us the option to opt out from the 60 day lock based on the whois details change. Something like what dynadot do with the 14 day auction lock is perfectly fine, it works perfectly.

Last edited:
•••
But you can opt out of the 60 day lock when contact details change, i do it all the time on other registrars. So they should give us the option of opting out of this.

Not a bad idea .. but isn't the option given to the sender (seller in the case of a sale) and not the receiver?

Maybe a suggestion for @Paul Nicks ?

•••
Its the 60 day lock thats actually stopping me from purchasing from godaddy closeouts, its extremely inconvenient

•••
Aside from security reasons it probably keeps the quality of domains higher at godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back