IT.COM

question GoDaddy Expired Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Ok, I've been reading a lot regarding Godaddy Expired Domains and the entire process, but maybe I am slow, as I am still not completely understanding the process.

If I win an auction, I pay for the domain, wait the 7-8 days and then domain is moved to my account (domain manager), is the name now mine or is there a period I still have to wait in order for it to be 100%? I am seeing threads / blogs stating that once it is in your account, it is yours and others saying the complete opposite, that it still may be taken away up to day 77 if the previous registrant decides to renew or pay the redemption fee, from my account.

Would really like some verification on this, I've been purchasing a lot of domains from their expired list and yesterday spent a good amount of money and I am just curious to what exactly is the 100% process.

I also plan on calling GoDaddy again to get further explanation as from what they have told me on a couple different occasions seems to contradict what each individual rep has told me, so I will update the thread when I I know more.

Additionally, how long of a wait period do you have from the time you receive the domain in your account, can you initiate an account change/push, if you have a seller virtually right away?

Thank you in advance and hopefully this thread can clear some things up for me as well as many others who seem to not understand the process 100% either.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
According to GD once its in your account it is yours.. I have heard stories that claim domains being ripped out of their accounts but it has never happened to me. I know this does not help but I am looking forward to hearing more about this as well..

•••
After "98%" assurance from Godaddy auctions rep, if the domain is won, paid for and in your account by the 45th day or thereafter, the domain is yours. You have to wait 60 days before transferring to another registrar, but you can push to other accounts usually within 24 hours.

Now, what I am going to do is wait as long as possible before paying for the expired domain name win, as close to the last minute as possible. I've also noticed that if you check WHOIS, you can verify if a domain name is already renewed before actually paying, so you don't end up paying, then the domain gets canceled after a delay in Godaddy letting you know the owner renewed and then have you money held up for 5-8 days. You will see the WHOIS information being all Godaddy info rather than the original registrants information if its still pending expiration, if its all their info and the last updated was pretty recent, more than likely they already renewed so hold out on paying or contact godaddy first to verify.

Hope this helps.

•••
Now, what I am going to do is wait as long as possible before paying for the expired domain name win, as close to the last minute as possible.

thanks,,
Did they tell you that you MUST pay within 3 days of purchase or you will be banned from using the Aftermarket?

•••
They actually stated 48 hours, but they give you
Up to 72 under some circumstances like holidays.

Wasn't really a worry of mine tho considering I usually paid for the domains right when the auctions ended, but it kind of doesn't make sense to now...

Last edited:
•••
my bank picked up on a transaction from them as "fraudulent activity" and canceled the transaction for 3 domains won. I was on a houseboat for the week with 3 days left, called them, they said it would be fine if I took care of it on Monday. Monday I called the bank and got it taken care of just to find out I was billed 3 admin fees of $10 ea. lost the domains and was banned from the aftermarket. All was straightened out but I lost the domains and the $30 admin fees :/
Moral of the story, we just cant trust GoDaddy Support 100% IMO..

•••
To add to all that, now imagine you live outside of the US and have to pay your bank additional currency exchange fees...

•••
I've had 2 cancellations in the past two weeks. Worst part, I suspect, the seller who reneged will have no penalty or action taken against them.
@Joe Styler: Tagging you to this post. Any chance this experience can be improved? Far too many cancellations.

•••
I've had four I believe in past two weeks. But I've bid on dozens.

•••
I don't get why they don't remove domains from auction once they got renewed by original owner.

I am watching currently many domains and their whois shows they got renewed, yet domains are available for purchase through auction for many days.

•••
Are they user auctions or expired auctions? Just checking

•••
•••
Expired and yes, I've seen much of the same thedotsol. I'm guessing interest on holding the money for a couple weeks?

•••
Expired auctions, as OP stated in his thread title.

Thanks. I noted that but a lot of folks don't realize that GoDaddy auction intermixes expired and user auctions. I'm not saying @zurc.net made that mistake, but I sure did very early on. Hence the question for clarification. Anyway, all good now.

•••
Great info here.. Thanks guys :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back