Dynadot

GoDaddy Expired Domain Auctions - When to Place Bid to Avoid HugeDomains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Captdocs

Established Member
Impact
Ugh.

In 3 auctions in the past couple weeks, that I've decided I really want the domain, I've gotten outbid by HugeDomains.
I set a price that I think the domain is worth before hand and what I think it could sell for, and every time Huge ends up paying almost as much as I think I could sell it for.. and I end up letting them win.

I've tried a few times to not bid on the domain and wait for it to go to a closeout, but then some bot snipes it before I even see it go to closeout..

My question is: When is the best time to bid in an auction, is it better to wait for the last hour, or does it not matter and Huge will see it anyway and I might as well bid 3 days earlier when I first see it, because waiting for the domain to go to closeout isn't worth it anymore imo.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would love to know the answer to this question too! Also, do you follow up and check the Whois of the names you missed, so you know for certain that Huge Domains are winning the names?

•••
I would love to know the answer to this question too! Also, do you follow up and check the Whois of the names you missed, so you know for certain that Huge Domains are winning the names?

In your Godaddy auctions page, you'll have a list of auctions you bid on and did not win - "Didn't win" or something like that in the tab header. To get a domain in this list, you'll have to have bid on the domain. To check if a particular domain was won by HD, just perform a regular whois after about 10 days or so and if it shows HD details, then they won

•••
Yup - Was HD every time, unfortunately:xf.frown: Names were bought for mid XXX and they have them listed for 4k+.. imo the names couldn't be worth much more than what they bought them for lol

•••
I don't think it matters. My theory is that their algorithm is programmed to bid on any .com name with bids on. I always wait till the last five mins to bid to try and avoid competition from anyone using expireddomains.net "with bid" filter but even then, within 10 seconds another bid comes in so no plan is foolproof.

•••
I don't think it matters. My theory is that their algorithm is programmed to bid on any .com name with bids on. I always wait till the last five mins to bid to try and avoid competition from anyone using expireddomains.net "with bid" filter but even then, within 10 seconds another bid comes in so no plan is foolproof.
Yeah I've tried waiting until the very end and they still bid :xf.cry: oh well maybe I can do nothing about it

•••
just don't bid ahead of time (some put a bid on 9 days before the auction finishes) not only does it tip off HD it also tips off others. newb move - IMO

anything with 2 bids will go to GD 'most active' auctions - that's where all the Lemmings wait...

some of these names are selling way past reseller prices, its not worth bidding. there will always be millions of other names - every day they are fresh new drops.

i find Godaddy auctions get way out of hand... not worth price vs reward.

Last edited:
•••
If you bid three days ahead of auction end, it doesn't just alert HD, but also a range of other corporate bidders and regular domainers that are active in GD auctions. An updated list of expiring domains with bids is available on expireddomains, easy to sort for at godaddy, and published by the expiring domain list makers (for example domain shane's list had a section called godaddy auction domains with bids or something along those lines). Domains with bids at GD get a ton of exposure at a number of different venues, and that obviously leads to more domainer eyeballs and api bidding bots, and more bidders means more competition and higher prices. Bidding when there is 5 minutes left is still going to alert the bidders who monitor which domains get bids, but at least all the buyers who simply prepare a list of expiring domains on that day ahead of the auction window are not going to discover the name as a result of your bid. If you're going to bid, do it as late as possible, to attract less eye balls and competition than those far ahead of auction end bids do.

The best way to grab names at GD imo is to practice your closeout sniping skills and grab them for $11. I never bid on a GD name if there are no other bids anymore, as it inevitable leads to a bidding war. Whenever somebody else places a $12 or $10 bid, either days in advance or shortly before auction end, I always enter the bidding aggressively too, and many other bidders tend do the same, and it ends up in a bidding war (I win some auctions, but very few compared with how many I participate in). Once bidding ensues at GD, it's just very difficult to make a decent value buy these days. On the other hand, I belive closeout sniping offers the best value domain acquisition channel available today.

•••
i bid over 20 names everyday, and 90% i am beaten by HD. Answer for this question ? we are using Namebright and Dropcatch => provide bullets (money) for their guns.
From mid- 2016, HD are increasing their portfolio's quality buy bidding in Expired Auctions and Catching Pending Delete domains. You can't beat them because they set their unstoppable price for name that you can't believe it worth for this price, then you out, and they win.
I think GD should changes their Expired Auctions into " HD and the rest " :pompous:

•••
Even if you bid in the last few mins it draws attention from these scavenger robots, so frustrating when you put so many hours to shortlist the names and wake till 2:00 or 4:00 am to place bids just to watch your shortlisted names slip right in front of your eyes

•••
Even if you bid in the last few mins it draws attention from these scavenger robots, so frustrating when you put so many hours to shortlist the names and wake till 2:00 or 4:00 am to place bids just to watch your shortlisted names slip right in front of your eyes
Bad strategy. HD and other guy have tools to find niches and gems. If you bid a name that no one want, does it have opportunities for being sold ? Yes, but just a little names are worth.

•••
Best strategy : Wait for the closeout.

Next best strategy : bid 5 minutes (or less) before the closeout.

•••
its getting crazier - newbie investors bidding on names just because there are others bidding on the name

stay out of the craziness, best to let the name go and have someone else waste all their money - there are millions of other names to choose from

FYI - there is a whole thread about this topic too

•••
its getting crazier - newbie investors bidding on names just because there are others bidding on the name

Sadly this is the advice Andrew Rosener has given (in the last 2 DomainSherpa videos) : Bid on, because there are a few more people bidding (who may be doing the same all along).

•••
as they follow the heard - i pick up the ones they miss, lol

i'm moving more away from GD auctions and searching other venues to pick up names (until it dies down again)

i'm assuming after they realised they have over paid and can't move the names for more than they paid - the amount of bidders will drop on GD and go back to normal.

•••
2016 : 10 names on target - get at least 6
2017 : 10 names on target - get 1 with big luck.
HD HD HD HD HD HD always beats me. Then i realize their always set more than 100$ for each name. My strategy : keep the price over 100 buy bidding until $95 for the names that are only worth $20 =)). Sometimes, newbies come and get those names with the unprofitable prices because they watched Domain Sherpa shows before ( Andrew advised to focus on names that get bids). My bad, dudes. I just want HD pays more.

•••
a lot of these names i used to be able to pick up for $5 - $11 - now they are being bid up to $100 - $2000 - LMFAO :ROFL::xf.laugh::-P:xf.grin::smuggrin::bag:

why take the risk - it could take years for these name to sell (if at all) and your capital is being held up (and at risk of zero return) with them... these are not exactly liquid names.

Last edited:
•••
Last night when i drunk, i fell in some bidding battles. I countered like a mad man.And what did i got ?
OrchidServices.com - 70.47$
VivaWood.com - 90.17$
I think that i can get those name for 20$/each in 2016. :xf.cry:
Must find other domain mines. It's crazy now in GD Expired Auction.

•••
Last night when i drunk, i fell in some bidding battles. I countered like a mad man.And what did i got ?
OrchidServices.com - 70.47$
VivaWood.com - 90.17$
I think that i can get those name for 20$/each in 2016. :xf.cry:
Must find other domain mines. It's crazy now in GD Expired Auction.
Bidder 1 (you) started the bidding and won those two auctions according to the auction bid history. It was your own $12 bids that got the bidding started, so not sure why you're surprised you had to place additional bids to win them. That's the norm when you place a bid at GD these days, other buyers will almost inevitably place bids too. As has been pointed out in this thread, the only way to get a truly cheap price for a name at GD now is by letting the name expire without bidding and grab it as a closeout.

Besides, I'm pretty sure HD didn't participate in those auctions, as they don't seem to stop bidding below $100.

•••
@Arca : i didn't mention HD in my last reply :) I just wanted to tell that :
1> Never bid when you are drunk.
2> There are lots of newbies that just wait domains that have bid, then they bids without any researches.
3> The prices to get domains in GD Expired are crazy now :)
That's it.

•••
i have noticed a big spike in the last 2 weeks, hmm... i wonder how long that will last, lol

•••
well if I cant win an auction . . . time to run it up on them:)

•••
not advised, you may get stuck paying $xxx for a $x name

•••
If you bid three days ahead of auction end, it doesn't just alert HD, but also a range of other corporate bidders and regular domainers that are active in GD auctions. An updated list of expiring domains with bids is available on expireddomains, easy to sort for at godaddy, and published by the expiring domain list makers (for example domain shane's list had a section called godaddy auction domains with bids or something along those lines). Domains with bids at GD get a ton of exposure at a number of different venues, and that obviously leads to more domainer eyeballs and api bidding bots, and more bidders means more competition and higher prices. Bidding when there is 5 minutes left is still going to alert the bidders who monitor which domains get bids, but at least all the buyers who simply prepare a list of expiring domains on that day ahead of the auction window are not going to discover the name as a result of your bid. If you're going to bid, do it as late as possible, to attract less eye balls and competition than those far ahead of auction end bids do.

The best way to grab names at GD imo is to practice your closeout sniping skills and grab them for $11. I never bid on a GD name if there are no other bids anymore, as it inevitable leads to a bidding war. Whenever somebody else places a $12 or $10 bid, either days in advance or shortly before auction end, I always enter the bidding aggressively too, and many other bidders tend do the same, and it ends up in a bidding war (I win some auctions, but very few compared with how many I participate in). Once bidding ensues at GD, it's just very difficult to make a decent value buy these days. On the other hand, I belive closeout sniping offers the best value domain acquisition channel available today.
What do you mean by sniping at the closeout?

•••
getting names after the auction is over (assuming no bids)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back