IT.COM

Expired and Closeout Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sarah.kate

Established Member
Impact
I'm trying to learn how the godaddy expired and closeout auctions work. If I stumble across a name I like that is in the closeout auctions and is already down to $5, should I wait and try to get it for reg fee or should I go ahead and buy it? I mean, I know it's not much money, I guess I am more interested in whether or not something else happens between being a "closeout" and being released back to the registry. Is that when the domain catchers come in??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you like the domain that much, why not just go ahead and grab it?

Last edited:
•••
I did. I was just wondering if there was any extra benefit to registering it before it went back to the registry.

•••
The domains keeps it's age if this is something that's important to you?

•••
ok, I thought that might be the case. It seems to be important to some people, so I guess it's worth keeping. The domain I got was originally registered in 2007, so I guess now it's a nice 10 year old name :)

•••
•••
hey sarah, what kind of name you buy in go daddy closeout? can you tell me your experience

•••
I watch close outs and buy some while at the auction stage. Generally if a name is a great name it is snatched up way before the five dollar mark. If you love it buy it you are getting the benefit of the age. I know this sounds cynical but my first thoughts when looking at a name is why are they letting it go after 10 plus years? Sometimes it's obvious why. Other times it's a great name.

Last edited:
•••
@sarah.kate The current owner could always pay redemption fees at any time after Day 42 and before pendingDelete to recover the domain. So that could be one reason to buy it in closeouts instead of waiting till it drops.

•••
hey sarah, what kind of name you buy in go daddy closeout? can you tell me your experience

I don't know if it's a great name, I just really like it. ForeignSnacks(d o t)com. I love Japan Crate and all those monthly snack subscriptions.

My experience: I saw it in the GDcloseouts on expireddomains. I searched for it on godaddy, found it and registered it. I am still waiting for the domain to arrive in my account, I don't know how long that takes??

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back