IT.COM

new gtlds GoDaddy drops Uniregistry's gTLD's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TRY

StrongPunch.comTop Member
Impact
GoDaddy dropped Uniregistry's gTLD's today.
World’s largest domain name registrar will no longer carry Uniregistry’s top level domains.

GoDaddy has stopped selling Uniregistry top level domain names after Uniregistry announced a wholesale price hike effective this coming August.

This afternoon I tried to transfer a .click domain name to GoDaddy but got an error that the domain couldn’t be transferred. .Click is a Uniregistry domain. Further searches revealed that no Uniregistry domains are available on GoDaddy.
GM of Domains Mike McLaughlin stated:

"We have stopped registering or transferring Uniregistry domain names into our system. The dramatic price hike Uniregistry announced left us no choice. Until we can assess the impact on our current and potential customers, we have stopped new registrations.

GoDaddy works to deliver a great customer experience. We now have customers who will be paying up to 3,000 percent more for their renewal. That’s an extremely poor customer experience and does not reflect well on the domain name industry in general.

GoDaddy will continue to support our current customers who have Uniregistry registered domain names.”
More info

“It’s unfortunate that Uniregistry is going with such a dramatic price increase. Regardless of the economics, it’s an extremely poor customer experience."
More info

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Waiting now for the doomsayers :xf.grin:

•••
•••
•••
Yikes! Uni isn't making any friends. GD took the opportunity to pick up some fans. Nice move!

•••
•••
Sadly, the GD customers who have their UNI domains there already are unlikely to view GD in a positive light, even though they are just the messenger here.

Thanks for the share @Brandingtheweb.com

I reached out to GoDaddy. GM of Domains Mike McLaughlin stated:

We have stopped registering or transferring Uniregistry domain names into our system. The dramatic price hike Uniregistry announced left us no choice. Until we can assess the impact on our current and potential customers, we have stopped new registrations.

GoDaddy works to deliver a great customer experience. We now have customers who will be paying up to 3,000 percent more for their renewal. That’s an extremely poor customer experience and does not reflect well on the domain name industry in general.

GoDaddy will continue to support our current customers who have Uniregistry registered domain names.”

•••
Kudos to GoDaddy's management!

•••
lol good but I still hate Godaddy

•••
Other registrars should follow suit! It's good that godaddy is setting the example for other registrars, in taking the stance that they will not tolerate uniregistrys unscrupulous business practices.

Most of the (end-users) who have registered ngtlds don’t know how this whole ngtld program works, the distinction between registry and registrar, etc. So most real end-users who bought these names at regular fees, and are now being asked to pay a LOT more for them, are probably going to blame godaddy, and not uniregistry for it. Uniregistry’s crazy price hikes hurt GD’s (and other registrars) brand and perceived trustworthiness in the eyes of end-users.

Registrars should abandon all ngtlds that are operated by registries acting like uniregistry. That in turn, might serve as a deterrent from other registries going ahead like uni and screwing over their customers and the registrars. If registrars don't drop such registry partners, this story is surely going to be repeated many times later, as more registries will follow in Frank's footsteps.

•••
and it begins.....Godaddy with the first move.

•••
I dropped GoDaddy for Uniregistry.
In fact, I am transferring all my domain names away from other registrars to Uniregistry.

The reason for this is simple, it is called "fair-play". I trust a Registrar who is fair-play and GoDaddy is not.

Have a good day.

•••
In fact, I am transferring all my domain names away from other registrars to Uniregistry.

The reason for this is simple, it is called "fair-play". I trust a Registrar who is fair-play and GoDaddy is not.

Have a good day.
Sudden price increases of up to 3000% is "fair-play" to you?

•••

Have a good day.

How has GoDaddy not been fair play ? I do business with both.

Thank you

•••
"Ultimately, it’s the registrar that has to explain to customers why their website will cost substantially more to operate when the domain renews."

Indeed !
The registrants are not familiar with the registry operator, they only deal with their registrar. So this kind of registry-mandated price hike has the potential to do a lot of PR damage.

PS: I'm wondering what's the share of new extensions, specifically Uni's, in GD's revenue.

•••
The question I have is would people who had any names there now be facing renewal fees earlier than expected due to transfer fees? Especially those who got "Premium" names?

•••
Uniregistry acting as the REGISTRY of the ngTLDs is the issue here

Uniregistry acting as a REGISTRAR sounds like what you are referring to @guillon

Not fond of either, personally : grin :

•••
How has GoDaddy not been fair play ? I do business with both.

Thank you

A price increase precisely: an offer to buy at $500 received by email and a "sudden" move to Afternic with a price which changed to $9995,00. I had to drop it after exchanging too many emails and receiving too many crap answers. Problem not solved and client not happy.

•••
A price increase precisely: an offer to buy at $500 received by email and a "sudden" move to Afternic with a price which changed to $9995,00. I had to drop it after exchanging too many emails and receiving too many crap answers. Problem not solved and client not happy.
NAMEFIND LLC (GDs domain portfolio) did that to you? Assuming that is correct, GoDaddy supposedly increasing the price for a domain from $500-$9995 is not fair-play in your view.

But Uniregistry increasing prices of up to 3000% for entire extensions, for holders that regged those names at regular prices, that you find to be fair-play. And in fact you find Uni's actions to be so fair that it made you decide to move all your domains over to them, in order to reward their fair-play (as well as proclaiming it as an act of defiance against GoDaddy's lack of fair play).

I'm completely not able to follow your line of reasoning here.

•••
These TLD volumes are still low so it is acceptable since it impacts few people in the end.
Screwing people over is fine as long as you only do it to a few people?

•••
NAMEFIND LLC (GDs domain portfolio) did that to you? Assuming that is correct, GoDaddy supposedly increasing the price for a domain from $500-$9995 is not fair-play in your view.

But Uniregistry increasing prices of up to 3000% for entire extensions, for holders that regged those names at regular prices, that you find to be fair-play. And in fact you find Uni's actions to be so fair that it made you decide to move all your domains over to them, in order to reward their fair-play (as well as proclaiming it as an act of defiance against GoDaddy's lack of fair play).

I'm completely not able to follow your line of reasoning here.

I did not move all my domains for this reason :) I started to move them before and - by the way - it reminds me that I still have to move the few ones that remain at GoDaddy.

•••
Godaddy is like 50% of the end-user market, with domainers being gone this pretty much killed the strings.

The irony is that either ICANN or the applicants wanted to make as much profit as possible from their strings and came up with this questionable framework that would allow them to change prices when they wanted to and change premium pricing in real-time.

Now this is killing the market and the future of the new extensions.

Seriously who wants a mediocre .shop or .blog for 5 figures a year? Who wants an extension that changes prices every year?

Last edited:
•••
Haha I new not all ngTLDs were going to raise prices, I even talked to Donut Domains about their .Life, they said regardless what frank did they will not be raising the pricing.

Domain Investors here one bad news and the go crazy! I wonder how many sold off ngTLDs for cheap already.

•••
Haha I new not all ngTLDs were going to raise prices, I even talked to Donut Domains about their .Life, they said regardless what frank did they will not be raising the pricing.

Domain Investors here one bad news and the go crazy! I wonder how many sold off ngTLDs for cheap already.

You don't know what Donuts will do in five years and maybe...before :)

•••

CEOs change, company goals change. What they say today is not what they will do tomorrow.

•••
Back