Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
If no bids then it will go into closeout

$11
$10
$9
$8
$5

If no buyer then it will be dropped a few days after day 75
Yes but what if the domain's price is $28? Not all expiring domains cost $12.
I guess it will just drop in price from $28 to $5. But how exactly? It obviously won't decrease for $1 each day, it has to be faster.

•••
I guess it will just drop in price from $28 to $5. But how exactly? It obviously won't decrease for $1 each day, it has to be faster.

I've never seen an expired domain where the starting price is anything other than $12. Do you have an example?

Correction. I just found some. Nevermind.

It's quite interesting. I did a whois check on the $28 domains and so far they're all registered through Moniker. Does anyone know anything about this Moniker/Godaddy arrangement?

Last edited:
•••

If it is at $28 then it has a bid.

If it has a bid then consider it sold.
It will not go into Closeout.

Only domains with no bids will go into closeout.

•••
If it is at $28 then it has a bid.

If it has a bid then consider it sold.
It will not go into Closeout.

Only domains with no bids will go into closeout.

No, he's right. Check out buzznic.com as an example. It's listed as expired, has 0 bids, and has a starting price of $28.

•••
•••

No, the $250 one is not an expired domain.
You're confusing domains that are being put up for auction by their owners with domains that are listed by Godaddy because they're expired. They're 2 different things.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Anyhow, I added some $28 expired domains to my watchlist just before the closing time to see what would happen if they closed with 0 bids and it looks like they just disappear. They don't appear to go to closeout. Probably because they're all Moniker domains.

•••
Ah, I see now, 'public auction'. Didn't notice the difference because I'm looing at the lists from ExpiredDomains.net and they're all listed as GD Expired.

Still, some domains cost more than $12 even though they are true expired domains.

•••
Ah, I see now, 'public auction'. Didn't notice the difference because I'm looing at the lists from ExpiredDomains.net and they're all listed as GD Expired.

Still, some domains cost more than $12 even though they are true expired domains.

I'm finding $12 or $28 starting prices, but nothing else for expired domains. I did a search for expired domains with starting prices higher than $28 and the search returned 0 results.

•••
Anyhow, I added some $28 expired domains to my watchlist just before the closing time to see what would happen if they closed with 0 bids and it looks like they just disappear. They don't appear to go to closeout. Probably because they're all Moniker domains.
Same thing happened with the domain I wanted but thought I'll better let it enter closeout to reduce the cost as nobody bid on it anyway. Now I lost it :'(.

I'm finding $12 or $28 starting prices, but nothing else for expired domains. I did a search for expired domains with starting prices higher than $28 and the search returned 0 results.
Then those are the only ones. I got confused (looking from another site) with auction listed domains and 'used domains', that's why I thought there are more different starting prices.

•••
Same thing happened with the domain I wanted but thought I'll better let it enter closeout to reduce the cost as nobody bid on it anyway. Now I lost it :'(.

So just wait for the domain to delete.

•••
I hate those lazy motherfuckers who bid on domains after they see them listed under most active.

Just had to pay $32 for a domain I could have got for $12 >:(.

•••
I hate those lazy motherfuckers who bid on domains after they see them listed under most active.

Just had to pay $32 for a domain I could have got for $12 >:(.

Nice verbiage there newbie.
As far as bidding in the last few moments, that's not lazy, its smart.

•••

These $28 domains are labeled as "open" auctions.

I have noticed that the Advanced Search feature isn't working correctly; even when you filter your search to "Expiring" and "Closeouts," these $28 domains are included.

Most annoying.

Is someone gaming the system with misleading keywords?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Get a load of the auction for ppww.com:

Bid jumped from $17 to $9,994 after someome placed a $9,999 bid.

I smell a shill game.

•••
Nice verbiage there newbie.
As far as bidding in the last few moments, that's not lazy, its smart.
Don't understand me wrong, I am bidding in the last few moments. Just above 5 mins on GoDaddy. What is a bit frustrating is when someone posts another bid in those 5 remaining minutes. And he wouldn't notice the domain if there wasn't my bid.

I made the effort and gone through thousands of domains to find that valuable one. He didin't. He got it served on a silver platter. So it is lazy.
And in the end I got the domain anyway, but for $32 and not $12. So it feels a bit like you are robbed (for work and money) even though there's nothing illegitimate with that.

Just sayin'.

•••
Don't understand me wrong, I am bidding in the last few moments. Just above 5 mins on GoDaddy. What is a bit frustrating is when someone posts another bid in those 5 remaining minutes. And he wouldn't notice the domain if there wasn't my bid.

I made the effort and gone through thousands of domains to find that valuable one. He didin't. He got it served on a silver platter. So it is lazy.
And in the end I got the domain anyway, but for $32 and not $12. So it feels a bit like you are robbed (for work and money) even though there's nothing illegitimate with that.

Just sayin'.
Again, its not lazy, its smart.

Also how do you know that they haven't been watching the domain for the whole 10 days and you just happen to bid on it right before them?
That has happen to me many times, and yes it makes me mad.

I have found domains with 10 days to go until the auction ends and no bids right up until that last few minutes and all of the sudden someone bids on it either it right before me or right after me.

It does happen.

•••
Again, its not lazy, its smart.

Also how do you know that they haven't been watching the domain for the whole 10 days and you just happen to bid on it right before them?
That has happen to me many times, and yes it makes me mad.

I have found domains with 10 days to go until the auction ends and no bids right up until that last few minutes and all of the sudden someone bids on it either it right before me or right after me.

It does happen.
Well, I do not know for sure. But that's what most likely happened.
The domain had very few views. Not sure if any acctually apart from mine.

•••
Well, I do not know for sure. But that's what most likely happened.
The domain had very few views. Not sure if any acctually apart from mine.

Someone who is sitting there refreshing the screen all day to find last minute bids is doing a lot of work.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

These $28 domains are labeled as "open" auctions.

I have noticed that the Advanced Search feature isn't working correctly; even when you filter your search to "Expiring" and "Closeouts," these $28 domains are included.

"Open" is the status. It just means the auction hasn't closed yet. Normally under "Sale Type" it would say "Expiring Auction" or "Public Auction" but these $28 domains are all blank in that field. However, when you click to see the listings category, it says "expired". It must be that Moniker is dumping all the pre-release domains they couldn't sell for $69 onto Godaddy auctions.

•••
hello NamePros,

can someone please tell me how i can avoid this:

http://onlinedomain.com/2012/12/04/...edos-refusal-to-remove-domains-from-go-daddy/
(@ AbdulBasit : Did you removed all your domains from Sedo, as you said in the comments you maybe want to do ?)

Cliffs:
-domain listend at sedo /" Make Offer "

- BUT Godaddy shows this domain as /
"Congratulations!
.............com
is at auction through Go Daddy Auctions®

Minimum Offer: $78.00"

i just want to have this "Make Offer" option.

thanks

•••

Just sayin'.

lol same thing for me, but it went from 12 to 200 when I placed a bid in the last few minutes with no other bids. One other cherrypicker tried to swipe the domain from me and he kept bidding it up.

•••
lol same thing for me, but it went from 12 to 200 when I placed a bid in the last few minutes with no other bids. One other cherrypicker tried to swipe the domain from me and he kept bidding it up.
I think a good strategy for those unnoticed domains is to let them enter closeout and then buy in the very first seconds of the closeout.

This is how I'll do it from now on. Have to be careful and watch the last 5 minutes closely to be sure noone makes a bid in the end.

•••

Recently picked up FatG.com (XXX) and TickleYourTasteBuds.com (BIN).

I like FatG--quad premium plus a real (choice) word within the domain.

Besides the obvious weight loss connection, I can envision a Jazz (or other) band adopting this for their name. I don't have a musical note in my body, but if I had a band, I would love to adopt this name.

Maybe they could play a riff called "The Music of Money."

I took a chance on "Tickle Your Taste Buds" because it's a rather common saying (in the US) and could very well be used as a jingle in a product campaign (food, fast food, etc.).

•••

Recently picked up FatG.com (XXX) and TickleYourTasteBuds.com (BIN).

I like FatG--quad premium plus a real (choice) word within the domain.

Besides the obvious weight loss connection, I can envision a Jazz (or other) band adopting this for their name. I don't have a musical note in my body, but if I had a band, I would love to adopt this name.

Maybe they could play a riff called "The Music of Money."

I took a chance on "Tickle Your Taste Buds" because it's a rather common saying (in the US) and could very well be used as a jingle in a product campaign (food, fast food, etc.).

I like them both, :)
Tickle Your Taste Buds would make a great recipe site.

I recently picked up these .COMs,

Christian Standards
Houses to Go
Husbands Wanted
Leasing Apartments
Live Bikini
Pet Slings
Speedy Diet

•••

Recently picked up FatG.com (XXX)

Here is a potential enduser

yeah-yeah-boy-bien-redi-fa-fa-fa-fat-g.jpg

•••

I was talking to my GoDaddy rep today (on another matter), and he explained some details about using the auction platform. (He used to work in auctions and got promoted to being my rep, ha, ha).

I have been using Sedo (15% commission). He says that GoDaddy charges a straight 10%, as long as one does not join the premium platform with Sedo (and he recommended against it--definitively).

MOST of my sales are negotiated off the Sedo platform, and when we come to an agreement, either as a buy straight up or send to auction, I then add the domain to Sedo's platform and the buyer creates an account and makes the offer. Then, as agreed, I send to auction or accept outright. This has worked well so far, and I like Sedo (and will probably continue using them for non-GoDaddy domains).

I'm wondering if it would better to use the GoDaddy offer feature for off-the-platform deals.

Here is what my rep explained to me:

--For sales $10-$5,000, GoDaddy itself handles the escrow funds on its own site.

--For sales above $5,000, they use Escrow.com, with GoDaddy assuming the escrow costs ("It's included in the commission fee," he said. Anyone have any experience with this?).

--Once funds are received, Godaddy holds escrow funds for 5 days, releasing the domain on day 6, and paying the seller.

--I asked about Paypal, and their famous 60 day charge back policy. He said that, in that case, GoDaddy would assume the loss and claw back the domain from the buyer (which would only work if the domain were still with GoDaddy, unless GD has agreements with other registrars). In other words, a sale wouldn't come back to haunt the seller--at least that's the hope I'm harboring.

--Once the transfer is completed and money paid to the seller, GoDaddy automatically transfers the domain (I know this is true because I have sold a few on GD).​

I believe in loving everyone but always keeping one eye open, trust, but verify, etc., and recognizing that I have a rep because l have a lot of domains, so...

What are your thoughts and experiences regarding Godaddy auctions?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back