IT.COM

discuss GoDaddy Auction Oddity

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I ordered a few $5 Closeout Domains on GoDaddy the other day, including one named skack.com. Everything went smoothly, paid for the domains, and waited for the confirmation emails that they were in my account. But when that time came around, I got all the emails except this one. Which never was added to my account. I did a whois lookup, and low and behold, it wasn't found on GoDaddy's whois servers. Which means they had returned it to the Registry. So I zapped off an email to GoDaddy Auctions, showing proof of purchase. I was expecting them to say, sorry but there was some kind of mishap, we will refund you your purchase price. But lo and behold (again), I get a return email that the domain was now in my account. Which means to me, they must have recovered the domain from the Registry. OK. I know they don't pay the Registry anything like what they charge us. But I thought it was nice of them to recover it from the Registry and put it in my account.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd said nothing. About 1 week earlier, I had a domain renewed by the Registrant (transferred out). I always check the domains they put in my account with the domains I've paid for. They had not setup a refund for that domain. I pointed this out, and received an immediate refund. Not in a day or two.

In conclusion, I'd recommend everybody checks, that they actually receive every domain that you paid for at GoDaddy Auctions. Mistakes do happen. I had 2 in 1 week. Before, I just naturally assumed their accounting was impeccable and I they refunded everything that needed refunding. Not any more ;)

And finally. Some heartening news for me, Toby Clements Brannans.com has spack.com listed for $100k :) Ok. skack.com maybe isn't quite so good, but who knows ;) Maybe I only ask $50k for it :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back