IT.COM

marketplace GoDaddy/Afternic Fast Transfer Sync Bug

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To those who utilize the Afternic Fast Transfer network.

Be advised there's a bug affecting the Fast Transfer sync.

I reported it and allowed the GD/AFT team plenty of time to resolve the issue, but nearly a month has gone by and the issue has yet to be resolved, I thought it best to let everyone know.

For the most part, this bug only appears to be affecting newly eligible Fast Transfer domains and I believe it to be on the registrar side, but this is just what I've seen in the past few weeks.

I provided more than enough information for the GD/AFT team to get the issue resolved quickly, yet here we are.

The same time I reported this bug to GD/AFT, I reached out to a partner registrar, who rarely ever has sync issues, but were affected as well and they had it fixed within a day or two.

Keep in mind, things are different for each registrar, but if a small registrar was able to find and resolve their entire Fast Transfer sync issue in a matter of a couple days using only one domain as an example, one would think the "World's largest domain registrar" could at least do the same. right?

NOTE: The usual workarounds and refreshing the syncs are ineffective.

That said, you may want to check your Fast Transfer domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UPDATE 2: No change whatsoever.
This is exactly how the BIN lander cart issue went. They rolled out a half-assed, untested fix, called it a day and moved on until I called BS.

Last edited:
•••
Final Update:

I was able to locate the root cause of the issue and I'm pleased to report that it has finally been resolved. (For me anyway.)

It was a DomainsbyProxy related issue on Godaddy's side and as far as I know, unrelated to the other issue.

I'm guessing this particular issue only affects those who've requested DomainsbyProxy be permanently disabled on their accounts.

If you're part of this group and wondering why your Godaddy domains aren't syncing up and Fast Transfer active after being opted-in to the Fast Transfer network, you may want to contact your Account Manager and have them remove the tool that is supposedly disabling DomainsbyProxy. (You don't have to, but it reduces the steps moving forward.

To achieve a clean Fast Transfer sync, follow these steps:

1. Export your Afternic portfolio in beta.

2. Sort the "Fast Transfer" column alphabetically.

3. Copy all "Pending Opt-in" domains.

4. Paste them into your Godaddy domain manager and Select All.

5. In the "Settings" drop-down menu, select "Turn on Privacy Protection" and give it a few minutes for all domains to update. All Fast Transfer eligible domains will start going into review at Afternic.

6. Export the domains in review. (This is for step 10.)

7. Make note of any that were previously in review, so they don't get deleted. (Although it won't matter much if you're re-adding them.)

8. Delete all domains that went into review as a result of adding privacy.

9. With all domains still selected in your Godaddy domain manager, select "Turn off Privacy Protection" and give it a few minutes for the domains to update and you're ready for the final step.

10. Re-add the domains and wait for the opt-in email from Godaddy. Once opted-in the domains should be Fast Transfer active within minutes.

I don't typically share troubleshooting steps, but since nobody on either team could figure this one out, I had to. Hopefully, this will come in handy for someone else experiencing the same issues.

That's all

•••
Final Update:

I was able to locate the root cause of the issue and I'm pleased to report that it has finally been resolved. (For me anyway.)

It was a DomainsbyProxy related issue on Godaddy's side and as far as I know, unrelated to the other issue.

I'm guessing this particular issue only affects those who've requested DomainsbyProxy be permanently disabled on their accounts.

If you're part of this group and wondering why your Godaddy domains aren't syncing up and Fast Transfer active after being opted-in to the Fast Transfer network, you may want to contact your Account Manager and have them remove the tool that is supposedly disabling DomainsbyProxy. (You don't have to, but it reduces the steps moving forward.
Great Job sorting this out! Thanks for sharing the information. Perhaps GoDaddy or Afternic should hire you?!

•••
•••
As a consultant only. :)
Well, probably all the more appropriate for them to do, especially if your persistence and technical expertise helped them to finally fix it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back