IT.COM

marketplace GoDaddy/Afternic Fast Transfer Sync Bug

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To those who utilize the Afternic Fast Transfer network.

Be advised there's a bug affecting the Fast Transfer sync.

I reported it and allowed the GD/AFT team plenty of time to resolve the issue, but nearly a month has gone by and the issue has yet to be resolved, I thought it best to let everyone know.

For the most part, this bug only appears to be affecting newly eligible Fast Transfer domains and I believe it to be on the registrar side, but this is just what I've seen in the past few weeks.

I provided more than enough information for the GD/AFT team to get the issue resolved quickly, yet here we are.

The same time I reported this bug to GD/AFT, I reached out to a partner registrar, who rarely ever has sync issues, but were affected as well and they had it fixed within a day or two.

Keep in mind, things are different for each registrar, but if a small registrar was able to find and resolve their entire Fast Transfer sync issue in a matter of a couple days using only one domain as an example, one would think the "World's largest domain registrar" could at least do the same. right?

NOTE: The usual workarounds and refreshing the syncs are ineffective.

That said, you may want to check your Fast Transfer domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To those who utilize the Afternic Fast Transfer network.

Be advised there's a bug affecting the Fast Transfer sync.

I reported it and allowed the GD/AFT team plenty of time to resolve the issue, but nearly a month has gone by and the issue has yet to be resolved, I thought it best to let everyone know.

For the most part, this bug only appears to be affecting newly eligible Fast Transfer domains and I believe it to be on the registrar side, but this is just what I've seen in the past few weeks.

I provided more than enough information for the GD/AFT team to get the issue resolved quickly, yet here we are.

The same time I reported this bug to GD/AFT, I reached out to a partner registrar, who rarely ever has sync issues, but were affected as well and they had it fixed within a day or two.

So is the basic problem that the domain is not showing up on the other registrar as "Fast Transfer," or is there something else that is not syncing correctly?

•••
If you mean that you have to send an email to Afternic Support to manually initiate the opt-in process, when the system should have done it automatically, then I can confirm. I've been having this problem for at least half a year now.

•••
What exactly is the bug? What is the problem that is occuring?

•••
•••
So is the basic problem that the domain is not showing up on the other registrar as "Fast Transfer," or is there something else that is not syncing correctly?
They remain pending opt-in, which means they're limited to the standard network only.

•••
If you mean that you have to send an email to Afternic Support to manually initiate the opt-in process, when the system should have done it automatically, then I can confirm. I've been having this problem for at least half a year now.
We've already tried that numerous times.

•••
What exactly is the bug? What is the problem that is occuring?
Simply put, the sync cycle is off and newly eligible domains are not syncing up with the Fast Transfer network.
If they're not syncing up, they remain pending opt-in, which means they remain limited to the standard network only.

•••
Yes, I've noticed this issue repeatedly as well. And the opt-in can easily be kicked out, by doing something as simple as changing one's privacy settings with the registrar.
Wouldn't it be great to have some automatic radio button to click, to be able to repeat the request for opt-in? Would that be more efficient than having to call customer service or send repeated support requests online?

•••
Yes, I've noticed this issue repeatedly as well. And the opt-in can easily be kicked out, by doing something as simple as changing one's privacy settings with the registrar.
Wouldn't it be great to have some automatic radio button to click, to be able to repeat the request for opt-in? Would that be more efficient than having to call customer service or send repeated support requests online?
Oh, I know exactly how it all works. (Probably better than anyone.)
I also know all the workarounds, but I’m afraid this isn’t about domains being kicked out of the fast transfer network.
It’s about receiving & approving the fast transfer auth emails from GD and the approved domains never reaching fast transfer active status. Thus, never reaching the fast transfer network.
This is the problem.

•••
Oh, I know exactly how it all works. (Probably better than anyone.)
I also know all the workarounds, but I’m afraid this isn’t about domains being kicked out of the fast transfer network.
It’s about receiving & approving the fast transfer auth emails from GD and the approved domains never reaching fast transfer active status. Thus, never reaching the fast transfer network.
This is the problem.
Well, once the email from GoDaddy has arrived to approve the Afternic FT, they've done a great job completing the process after I click the approvals. It's curious why that's a problem for some customers, and not others.

•••
Well, once the email from GoDaddy has arrived to approve the Afternic FT, they've done a great job completing the process after I click the approvals. It's curious why that's a problem for some customers, and not others.
I’ve never had any issues with it either either until mid August.
Unless there’s a bug, the process is like clockwork.
Have you checked all your approved domains in the past few weeks?

•••
•••
I don't trust it to opt-in on its own. I literally delete and re-add each domain once it becomes eligible ^0+ days) and then always get the approval request.

With Dynadot the "set note" appears almost instantly after delete/add, so I typically have one browser window open for Afternic and one for Dynadot as I do them. I don't even wait for the email.

Last edited:
•••
I don't trust it to opt-in on its own. I literally delete and re-add each domain once it becomes eligible ^0+ days) and then always get the approval request.

With Dynadot the "set note" appears almost instantly after delete/add, so I typically have one browser window open for Afternic and one for Dynadot as I do them. I don't even wait for the email.
Yeah, that's one of the workarounds and has always been 100% effective until now.

•••
Yeah, that's one of the workarounds and has always been 100% effective until now.
I did several this week. Worked ok. I have more to do Friday.

•••
•••
•••
Afternic + Porkbun in my case. So it looks like this is not an issue on the registrar partners side.

•••
•••
Afternic + Porkbun in my case. So it looks like this is not an issue on the registrar partners side.
Actually, PB is the registrar who resolved the sync issues within a couple of days using only one example domain.

•••
Something must have been changed in Afternic API. There was exactly the same problem at NameSilo registrar, which was fixed last week. Strange that GoDaddy registrar was also affected, they should be the 1st to implement any and all changes required for afternic integration.
Afternic + Porkbun in my case
Indeed, even though Porkbun is not the largest registrar around, the things are simply working as they should @ porkbun. I guess that in 1-2 years they'll start winning annual namepros "Best Registrar" polls :)

•••
Actually, PB is the registrar who resolved the sync issues within a couple of days using only one example domain.
Do you know how Porkbun did this? I don't know to what extent registrar partners can trigger a re-run of the opt-in process at Afternic via API or otherwise. In any case, this happens with multiple registrar partners, so I think this is an Afternic issue.

•••
Do you know how Porkbun did this? I don't know to what extent registrar partners can trigger a re-run of the opt-in process at Afternic via API or otherwise. In any case, this happens with multiple registrar partners, so I think this is an Afternic issue.
I didn't ask them, but I do know they're like ninjas when it comes to finding bugs, troubleshooting & resolving issues.

I receive and approve the Fast Transfer authorization emails from GD on a daily basis.
All approved domains are normally Fast Transfer active within minutes to a few hours after approving.
This is no longer happening.

•••
UPDATE: I have just been informed that it is finally fixed.
I'll run a few tests after the drop to confirm.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back