NameSilo

GoDaddy Account Push Option Now Requesting Email Confirmations From All Parties???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Anyone come across a push, and from taking 1 minute, it now takes however long it takes for all parties to confirm email confirmations.

First it will send an email asking you to confirm the account change then it will ask the other party to confirm the account change, then once confirmed it will go back into pending update, and start the push process? At which point the incoming account party has to manually accept the account push.

Updates have been submitted and can take up to 5 days to display.

I got like 5 emails over the course of a single push.

It was a real pain, the newbie experience will not be fun, Anyone come across this yet?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I understand what you are saying about the change of account and what is happening but I am pretty sure it is in error and not a new path we have pushed out on purpose. I am looking into it.

•••
We have rolled back the change until we can get a smoother process out for everyone. So for now it will act like it did before the change, and when we roll out the ICANN process again we will make it smoother for everyone. Thanks for the feedback on here.

•••
Dag nabbit, here we go again.... again making unnecessarily-complex account changes even more confusing.

Not only that, but now my domain is locked in pending update, at the mercy of the owner-to-be. Can't renew it, can't cancel the update, nothing. Isn't GoDaddy aware that sometimes buyers take weeks to complete even a simple step? And that sometimes they just disappear altogether without a word?

Why not just scrap the second step? There's no excuse for a multi-layered, confusing acceptance process in 2017. Once the new registrant has approved the contact change, why the Sam Hill are they required to again approve anything? There's got to be a way to combine this into ONE step.

CUSTOMER SERVICE 101: MAKE THINGS EASY FOR THE CUSTOMER

GoDaddy just doesn't get it, and inexplicably has one of the worst "push" systems in the industry.

With many registrars, the buyer needs only log in to their account, and they will be shown some sort of PENDING TRANSFER alert. Very, very simple. At GoDaddy, there's no alert, they have to fiddle around in their account looking for how to accept it.

If GoDaddy's so hell-bent on requiring a two-step acceptance process, they should at minimum simplify it - something that's long overdue. It would be so simple to, upon sign-in, display some sort of notification that HEY, YOU'VE GOT A DOMAIN WAITING FOR YOU... CLICK HERE TO ACCEPT! where clicking the link takes the receiving party directly to their Incoming Account Changes area.

Simple..... right?

GoDaddy can blame ICANN all they want, but at the end of the day, they alone are responsible for making this entire process a real burden for their customers. Of course, simplifying account changes has NEVER been on GoDaddy's agenda, so I don't know why I'm surprised to see them further muck up the process.

Last edited:
•••
Nearly all my domains are at GoDaddy and most of my business depends on the ease of their system. Since most of my business is domain flipping and pushing the domain right after the client agrees, any obstacle in this regard is unwelcome.

I don't mind the confirmation email on my part as a seller, but if it also goes to the buyer, that is clearly an unnecessary step. This is news to me, since I pushed names a few days ago and did not have that problem. I have been using GoDaddy for about nine years and will continue to use it for the years to come (unless something major comes up), since about 8 out of 10 of my buyers already have a GoDaddy account and those who don't have one have no problem in creating it, since they have heard of them and seem to feel safe with the company, as opposed to some other less known registrar.

I have never voiced any criticism about GoDaddy, but I have had my share of frustrations with the company. I think some of their support people may need a little more training. Here are two examples why I say that.

Once I nearly lost a sale because the buyer was unwilling to provide his GoDaddy customer number. At that point I called GoDaddy and asked if there was any other way of pushing the domain. The rep. assured me that there was nothing to do in this situation, that he buyer had to provide their customer number. It was only after hours of looking for another way that I stumbled upon the fact that you can indeed push the domain using only the client's email and their physical address.

On a different situation, just a few days ago, I sold a name and the buyer, who knows nothing about domain push or transfer, decided to send me a GoDaddy Pro invitation so I can access part of his account and do the push acceptance and domain redirection for them. When I attempted to do it, I could access the account, but the push Accept button was unclickable. I called GoDaddy and, again, there was nothing the agent could do. So, what is the use of getting access to the account if some of the essential features are unavailable? I received no alternative, other than contacting the client to guide him over the phone on how to accept he push himself.

I do not feel GoDaddy is working toward making things easier for their customers, but just complicating matters. I am not sure what percentage of GoDaddy's business comes from domain investors, but it would not be a bad idea to either consult or hire a few domain investors on what will make their job easier, which, as a result, will only increase GoDaddy's business. However, I am assuming our worries as domain investors are relevant enough, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, its aggravating..
I starting adding the following dialogue after I do a GD push....You may want to use it or something similiar....

The domain has been pushed (moved) to your Go Daddy account. You must now ACCEPT the domain according to Go Daddy's revised procedures..

This procedure applies to both of us. You and I have just received emails from Go Daddy asking us to confirm the account change and "contact information" for this domain. I just confirmed it on my end and you must do the same now. If either one of us does not follow through on this "confirmation" procedure the push of the domain will be blocked via a continuous "pending update". Once Go Daddy receives both our confirmations, the domain will start to "change accounts"..

Finally, you must log back into your Go Daddy account. The domain will appear in your " pending account change - incoming" area. There you will manually ACCEPT the domain.

And that's it........

•••
Honestly what's even more concerning than the overly complicated process itself is that my domain is seemingly stuck in Pending Update until the recipient approves the new contact details. I don't appreciate having my domains locked unnecessarily like this (again, GoDaddy's doing, not ICANN's).

Perhaps this has been answered already, but how long does this potentially tie up my domain for? At what point does the update time out?

Sorry but I'm not willing to give potential buyers that much power over my domains. If that means taking my business elsewhere (again), so be it. GoDaddy ain't the only horse in town.

Last edited:
•••
It's honestly easier to transfer to another registrar and transfer it back to GoDaddy than to push domains between 2 GoDaddy Accounts. Think about that :)

•••
Godaddy has left a huge loophole open in this new transfer method.

When you start a push, and you accept new registrant changes, and they don't, the domain will stay in pending status for 5 days, and you can't do anything with it, you are at the mercy of the other side accepting.

If they just ignore it, your domain is disabled from you.

This should never be the case for 5 days.

•••
I feel your pain on this and I can tell you we are taking this very seriously as a company. It is being actively discussed so we can make sure the customer experience is better. I will follow up when I have some more info. I just wanted to let you know we are working on this.

•••
Yes, its aggravating..
I starting adding the following dialogue after I do a GD push....You may want to use it or something similiar....

The domain has been pushed (moved) to your Go Daddy account. You must now ACCEPT the domain according to Go Daddy's revised procedures..

This procedure applies to both of us. You and I have just received emails from Go Daddy asking us to confirm the account change and "contact information" for this domain. I just confirmed it on my end and you must do the same now. If either one of us does not follow through on this "confirmation" procedure the push of the domain will be blocked via a continuous "pending update". Once Go Daddy receives both our confirmations, the domain will start to "change accounts"..

Finally, you must log back into your Go Daddy account. The domain will appear in your " pending account change - incoming" area. There you will manually ACCEPT the domain.

And that's it........
"And that's it....."

Well now, that's not complicated at all, is it?
Non savvy buyers wont have a problem with that process in the slightest.
Explaining to your buyer that it's GD's fault and that you're not just jerking them around should be easy.
Wait, was that a charge back they started with PP because, "Hey, where is my new domain?"

Yup, no problem at all.

@Joe Styler , I know it's not your doing, but couldn't you and @Paul Nicks explain to the powers that be what a difficult process this is for n00bs and experienced domainers as well?

Peace,
Cy

•••
Ugh,

I just had 2 domains that were supposed to have been in my account this morning. From one members GD account and pushed into mine. All other times it has been immediate. This time a couple hours later and I still see nothing.

I was gonna create a thread, then luckily I saw this one at the top of the Forum. I read a few of the first posts on page 1, now I will go back and read more.

This could get messy. I am hoping this will not be another potential domain sales breaker because of people seeming to think they are getting ripped off by not receiving the name as quickly as we used to and then filing a chargeback, etc...

I see Joe Stylers post just a few up from here and just wanna say thanks @Joe Styler for looking into this mess.

Any help you can provide us will be very appreciated.

Vito
During my first incident with this, the buyer asked for a refund as they were just so confused, and couldn't understand why they couldn't accept a push like before. I explained it was a technical issue, and asked them to give me a day to get it sorted out. Luckily they really wanted the name, and were in agreement after claiming all this seemed shady. It took a phone call to the client, and a few calls to customer service, and online chat help to get it all sorted out.

In the end there were a few reps at Godaddy who really went above, and beyond to get it done, and thats what counts. It is not their fault it was implemented, this was done from a higher stance, but those execs need to understand the ramifications on how a small step can affect overall profits 6 months down the road. Names will start moving out of Godady's channel if sellers cannot provide their buyers with a clean, and simple push. There is no sugarcoating this situation. Nobody wants to change, and transfer out, but the parties who implemented this scenario do not realize the effects.

The domain I was selling to my client, I brought over from another registry, as this party already had a godaddy account, to godaddy, and then attempted to push it to them. Had I known this was the issue, I would have asked them to make a new account, and I would push it there only.

So now I purchased a godaddy transfer, this person is purchasing a web hosting package, and a slew of other services from godaddy. All this revenue would likely be averted, just on the basis of this push hiccup. Like I said I am a shareholder of godaddy, so anything that affects the jeporady of the bottomline irks me.

As for ICANN, they leave many loopholes as we have seen in the GTLD space, I am sure if others have found a way around it, Godaddy legal can also.

Last edited:
•••
I have a transaction that is likely to clear Monday. I will report back with my experience regarding the push process.

Brad

•••
I just pushed a name to someone about 10 minutes ago and it went through without me needing to approve contact changes at all.

Maybe they just reverted the system back to its prior state.
We did.

•••
Support can manually cancel it you cannot.

Well if we can't cancel it ourselves then why have the option show up to make us think we can?

What's the purpose of having the gaining account owner have to click on an email to confirm the contact info update when they still have to manually accept the domain into their account anyways? Seems like having the buyer confirm the contact info update is redundant and creating problems.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @creataweb - you did change contact with push correct? And were you pusher or pushee? LOL

There is a tiny detail I found which could be the source of the issue.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-a-domain-to-another-godaddy-account-822
If you know the recipient's customer number, select I have... and then enter the account login information. The email address entered must be the same email used for the shopper account contact email, not the domain administrator email.

So that makes me curious, what is my "shopper account contact email" and IF that does NOT match what GD is expecting, could that be the reason for the failure? That would help explain why it is working for some people and not for others. Hmm . . .

I think I did it that way. I pushed it to someone else. I am not a GD fan and these were names I had pushed to me awhile back. The rest are being transferred out because their UI is horrible and the support is slow and :poop: lol

•••
Godaddy has created a big mess. You can no longer push A domain with privacy, it has to be removed first. I also saw a 10 day lock push rule, I am assuming this is for push, as transfer is 60 days.

A domain name must be in active status to change accounts. If a domain is in active status but past its expiration date, it will not allow the account change to be initiated.

Domains that change accounts will have a 10-day transfer lock for fraud protection.

Last edited:
•••
I'm going through it right now for the first time and the domain is showing "pending update" status after like 30 minutes and still haven't received an email from Godaddy to approve the push.

I can see this being a real big pain in the a when dealing with buyers that don't check emails often. Now it will take like 2 weeks to complete a sale. I might have to start using a new registrar this is ridiculous.

Made a couple sales earlier in the week with no problem, I don't understand the need for this.
Guys, I'm trying to get this topic out there, email your reps to let them know this is an issue.

If the other party does not click that change of registration email, your domain will stay in that status for 5 days, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I have been locked out of a push as it is stuck in pending status all day yesterday, with an end user sale. Godaddy technical support has been unable to get it out of pending status as it is stuck.

Another thing is when Godaddy systems get busy, it's gets slow, emails gets delayed, and domain updates take forever. They have not done anything to improve their systems to make this stream better, just bog down their systems more.

They told me to wait until morning for it to be taken care of people who work in the morning, whatever that means. Meantime buyer is pissed.

Last edited:
•••
just pushed a sold domain to end user
got that "Please approve your contact info update" email
confirmed contact info update
took about 5 min for the buyer to get the name into his account
don't know what the buyer had to go thru on his side thou

...i keep gradually moving to Namesilo anyway

•••
I understand what you are saying about the change of account and what is happening but I am pretty sure it is in error and not a new path we have pushed out on purpose. I am looking into it.

Thank You for the follow up Joe, hearing that makes a world of difference.

•••
I am still looking into this for everyone. It looks like it was changed on purpose to bring us into compliance with the ICANN rule on whois information changing so if you choose not to update contact information when pushing the domain to another account it will bypass the step of having to approve the WHOIS changes since there are none until the new owner updates them.

I understand the issue with the process and have brought it up to the teams in charge and we will see what can be done to make this a better experience.
In an escrow sales setting this would really delay things.

Other companies are finding ways to bypass this push contact update when internal.

Why do you need to update contacts in transit, not after they land in your account, hindering the push transaction? I would assume when you choose, use account contact info, it is already deemed correct, I can see this being done once the push is completed, not mid push.

Can it not be flipped around in regards to order of operations, would be so much more seamless?

Last edited:
•••
So you are saying you can transfer the domain to another party and not update the whois information?

Essentially they would have possession of your domain with your whois information. That is a pretty vulnerable and powerless position to be in.

Joe, we have had discussions about this in the past when it comes to updating WHOIS. As of my last attempt I still do not get an email to one of my email addresses to confirm changes, so I am unable to update my WHOIS information to what I want.

If this is the new norm on transfers, that is ridiculous. Other registrars have found a way to make the process far less of a burden. I am not sure what GoDaddy's problem is.

Brad
I have been at GoDaddy a little over 11 years and one of the consistent things I have seen is that if there is a problem with a new process they work on it and resolve it. Premier services customers get a bit of extra help on issues like this from their agents.

•••
Ugh,

I just had 2 domains that were supposed to have been in my account this morning. From one members GD account and pushed into mine. All other times it has been immediate. This time a couple hours later and I still see nothing.

I was gonna create a thread, then luckily I saw this one at the top of the Forum. I read a few of the first posts on page 1, now I will go back and read more.

This could get messy. I am hoping this will not be another potential domain sales breaker because of people seeming to think they are getting ripped off by not receiving the name as quickly as we used to and then filing a chargeback, etc...

I see Joe Stylers post just a few up from here and just wanna say thanks @Joe Styler for looking into this mess.

Any help you can provide us will be very appreciated.

Vito

•••
Ok GD update on my domains today.
Email came and I verified, then clicked on accept, like we have all done hundreds of times before.
Everything is done now. Just took a little longer than usual with an additional extra step. Being a seller already requires a little TLC and guidance with the buyer, we really don't need any more steps to explain and/or do.

I am like Infosec3 and probably like many others here. I rely on GD for their ease of their entire system of pshes, transfers out, transfers in, regging, NS updates, Contact updates, and the list of great things I am a fan of GD just goes on and on and on. I have worked tirelessly transferring as many of my domains over to GD because imo they have the best platform for us as domainers. Their Customer Service is pretty awesome too.

So, I would be one of the last people here to slam them for just a random issue or little one-off glitch. I understand, $hit happens. I am pretty well experienced and even I screw up once in a while during a transaction. The more I have read this thread and thought of my own experiences over there, I am a bit frustrated.

I have had the same problems wwweb, RJ, and Nat have explained, then a few more as of recently also. Little things like...My default contact settings have not shown up upon new domains coming in. My default phone number in contacts have been shorted. Meaning only 4 digits instead of all 10 so now I have to manually reset them. Default NS not being what I have set in default contacts.

I am not even close to leaving them and I love seeing all of their new bells and whistles but I just wish all of these little glitches that are adding up are being addressed. Sales are few and far between and we dont need any more excuses for any failed transactions. That's it.

I am not sure what percentage of GoDaddy's business comes from domain investors, but it would not be a bad idea to either consult or hire a few domain investors on what will make their job easier, which, as a result, will only increase GoDaddy's business. However, I am assuming our worries as domain investors are relevant enough, but I may be wrong.

I would bet at least half of their business is from domainers/domain investors. GD hiring one or a few of us would be a damn good idea. Chicago is a bit chilly right now so Arizona here I come!

•••
Last night, I did my first push since this new policy went into effect. I was prepared for the worst but it went quite smoothly.

I was pushing two names to another NP member. A couple minutes after I initiated the account change, I got this e-mail asking me to approve the contact changes:

contact change.png

I clicked that button and said Yes I approve these changes.

Then, I think the recipient maybe got a similar e-mail and had to do the same thing? I'm not sure. Or maybe he was able to just go straight into his Pending Incoming Account Changes and approve it.

But, within about 5 minutes of me initiating the push, the names were in his possession and had his contact info on them.

It's an extra step or two, so it's creating lots more opportunity for people to miss necessary steps to get the push done, but I don't understand why some of you are getting stuck in pending status for hours at a time. Is that because someone on the other end is missing a step to approve on their end?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back