IT.COM

Gmail "send mail as" + email forwarding = [email protected]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I wanted to email someone FROM [email protected] but didn't want to pay for an addon email account. This used to be possible with gmail, but I couldn't get it to work. I found this helpful article at NameSilo which walks you through creating an "app password" which gmail needs to allow you to use their smtp server.

Keep in mind that some email services still show your gmail address and then "on behalf of..." so if your gmail address is [email protected], it's probably better to just fork over the extra 3 or 4 bucks a month.

There's already a huge old thread on whether [email protected] offers more domain sales credibility than [email protected], but that thread seemed to turn more into a hatefest for the guy who was "spamming" people.

I'd love to open the discussion back up for this topic to see how opinions have changed.

If you use this technique, what prefix do you use? ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected]...)

Is contacting potential end users still recommended or does the domaining business now follow the housing market in that all that's required is a listing and buyers will flock to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back