Dynadot

discuss Future of LLLL .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nikhil Jain

Top Member
Impact
Hello everyone. I was wondering where do we all see the future of 4L .com in short term as well as long term.

Of course, the prices have gone down considerably in the past 3 months, a direct consequence of the same is that the number of 4L .com auctions at NP have also gone down.

What does everyone else think about it ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I stay away from the random 4ls that only domainers will buy. I've been buying all the good acronym and pronounceable 4l.com I can find. I hope prices fall a bit more.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I was wondering where do we all see the future of 4L .com in short term as well as long term.

Long term is bright...especially if pronounceable (or sensible). Money put into extensions with poor sales will float back to the 4L's. Just like real estate, they aren't making anymore 4L .coms

•••
Probably yes. It is really the time to sit back and hold on to any 4L we might be holding.
I agree.. do not sell out cheaply. Instead RAISE your prices and expections and hold out

Last edited:
•••
I say..let's wait September..prices will raise.
In the summer months everything slows down, domaining included.

•••
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I'm bearish on the majority of 4L.com and other liquid domains that have no potential for true end-use. If I still had any non-prounouncable, random/non-western 4Ls - I would be cashing in on them right now.

My own personal opinions, in more depth for your reference:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/soft-sales-in-2017-anyone-else.1022744/page-3#post-6262103
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-sales-dont-add-up.1036024/#post-6310138

I hope I'm wrong.

•••
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I'm bearish on the majority of 4L.com and other liquid domains that have no potential for true end-use. If I still had any non-prounouncable, random/non-western 4Ls - I would be cashing in on them right now.

My own personal opinions, in more depth for your reference:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/soft-sales-in-2017-anyone-else.1022744/page-3#post-6262103
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-sales-dont-add-up.1036024/#post-6310138

I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for the data. I think your point of Cryptocurrency and relevant domains taking over does somewhat justify a shift of trend from 4L .com market.

•••

I hope I'm wrong.

Don't worry. You are
;)

Last edited:
•••
Another point to be pondered upon is whether we can be really certain that the floor price of $200 doesn't seem to return any soon ?

•••
Another point to be pondered upon is whether we can be really certain that the floor price of $200 doesn't seem to return any soon ?
If those us who own 4 L dot com domains would stop selling out cheaply and hold out for more the price would rise..It's simple supply and demand .

•••

Nothing would surprise me...but as someone said prior, just hold on...bounce will happen

•••

Floor price for what? There is no such thing as floor price unless people sell lllls for $$$ a piece.

That is the dumbest and most ignorant move one can do..would you sell 1 word for $$$ a piece?

Every llll as much as every 1 word are different and deserve to have a different price.

Chinese started this "$$$ a piece" because they were using 4l as a way to exchange / hide / trade money and the dumb westerners followed. Like someone said stop selling cheap, stop selling for what Chinese would like to buy.

Unless you want to sell your 4l .com with aeiouv for as little as $80 ( real wtb thread from a Chinese buyer here on NP )

•••
Don't worry. You are ;)

I'm fully open to being wrong, I have no access to additional secret information :xf.smile:

My only other advice to those holding and continuing to invest (or even if you're bullish enough to double down on 4L):

If you haven't done so already, make sure you diversify your portfolio. Hold some variety and not just 4L.com. Mix in some brandables, some one-word.com, a bunch of CCtlds, go in on some good quality two-word.com, and maybe look at some new gTLDs as well if you like them. Hedge your bets to reduce your risk.

Last edited:
•••
I'm fully open to being wrong, I have no access to additional secret information :xf.smile:

My only other advice to those holding and continuing to invest (or even if you're bullish enough to double down on 4L):

If you haven't done so already, make sure you diversify your portfolio. Hold some variety and not just 4L.com. Mix in some brandables, some one-word.com, a bunch of CCtlds, go in on some good quality two-word.com, and maybe look at some new gTLDs as well if you like them. Hedge your bets to reduce your risk.

Good advice. I agree. Trends can change fast.

With regards to LLLL.coms, I think there will always be a demand for good ones - unless domains are replaced by something else entirely. But "good" is really subjective. Some people might stay away from qxyz in LLLL.coms, but these can by perfectly fine letters in some countries/languages.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
LOL no... I think they are here to stay for quite a while. Phone numbers are still around after all.

Whew! Got to look for a Valium now (do they still make them?) to calm down...

•••
Great advice from everyone around here. In short, it is better to hold onto our 4Ls and try to make the best of this price drop by making good purchases at low levels.

•••
Looking at /shortnames.com/llll/sales looks like $200 floor price may be coming back for random 4L.com which is always a good sign. H :)

They're are some nice deals out here on NP for some 4L.

Last edited:
•••
Focus on quality rather than quantity... then it wont matter what trends are...

•••
Looking at price history, only 3 years ago CHIPs were worth $0, reg-fees.

But at the same period, Western had a floor value of around $175. And in the last 10 years, bottom value of Western never went below $100.

I think it shows were value resides. Western will always have value because of the potential of acronyms.
Pronounceable/Brandable (real pronounceable, not 3 letters only out of 4) will always have more value, again linked to better chances of being used as a business name and not only for speculative investment.

•••
Obviously not all 4L.coms are created equal. Bottomline is for the ones currently considered least valuable, is the ~ 6% annual renewal cost worth it. And there is also the time value of money - could you use that ~$150 for something else? Now if you have nice 4L.com with the renewal cost ~1% or less you just have to consider the time value of money.

Personally, I think things are going to stay flat overall for a couple of years. Of course certain names will do better due to evolving trends/fashions.

Last edited:
•••
For me holding onto LLLLs is just a side business. They go up and they go down has nothing to do with me.

With this strategy I was able to hold onto them back in 2011 when a $40 purchase was worth reg fees or people were dropping them due to renewal fees.

I did traded off some losers and purchased some CVCVs when the markets were bearish.

In 2015 and 2016 when the minimum for any BS combination was 250+ I was still holding it.

It is same with stocks too. If you are a day trader then you are exposed to the volatility of the markets but if you are going to hold onto something for next 10 to 15 years then MOSTLY you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back