IT.COM

Fu*k Flippa for accepting bids after auction ends...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was the highest bidder for a domain at the deadline. Why are pending bids allowed when the auction ends and seller is given up to 72 hours to accept? This is not "make offer" but this is a dang auction!!!! A deadline is a deadline.

If a bid isn't accepted before the deadline then it shouldn't be legitimate. I've been watching this name intently for a while. When an auction closes it means it closes.. It is not legal anywhere in the world to be accepting bids when an auction is over.

If you bid last minute then you should cut out the approval process.. Because I would see that a bid beat me and then respond with a higher bid. All i see is that I am the Top Bidder Now i get a messaging said there are pending bids blaa blaaa blaa...wtf Flippa

You motha ffers need to be more transparent...Even ebay is better because if someone outbids you with little time to go you can know instantly that u are outbid.. and respond as fast as you can. I know about sniping.. but the auction is live and u see instantly. Flippa auction is almost like a backdoor deal.. where you send secret bids while shile showing another person as top bidder. This shiiit still shows you as the highest bidder...

What the fu*k is this seller approval about? Clear people to bid and if they are cleared then let them bid and let live be live..If they have a bad history and then close them out all together...

Never heard of an auction where you don't know who won until up 72 hours after the auction ends... that's the message they gave me. I would and back door some motha fuxxers but i won't add another penny to them..

Then to complicate things whenever i bid with under an hour left it seems like time gets added. So why wasn't time added then, even five minutes to prevent this scam. This is worst than sniping. And it might not be added unless the seller is around to accept bids/offers.. to show you have been outbid... Thus you can't respond or get time added because the seller might be home taking a sheet on the toilet or jak n offf in the back room.

It starts with integrity Flippa.. That platform will fail because of a lapse in integrity. Bad practices.

Mark my words: Flippa.com will Fail as a platform. It's a matter of time before anew platform comes into play.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So say you made that last one bid, and ended up winning it, knowing what you know now, that people like this operate freely without the consequence of a $10 fine, how does that make you feel.

I am sure you have been on the other side of that bid plenty of times in the winning position, you just don't know it.

Another post I don't understand or you misunderstood mine. Please re-read or explain.

•••
i bid on a domain at flippa once that closed prior to the seller accepting my bid which had been placed at least one full day prior. 3 or 4 days later, seller finally accepts my bid and i was then notified that the domain was mine.

They have lots of work to do then

•••
Another post I don't understand or you misunderstood mine. Please re-read or explain.
I understand the second chance offer, but how many times have you been on the other side of that second chance offer. You said you bid upto $3K on a domain, you got outbid by that single bidder, if he didn't put that last bid in at $2975, you would have over paid $2XXX against a bidder who did not have the funds, or was not willing to close.

When you are on the other side of that bid, you just never know, that is what I am trying to state. The fine for failing to pay is a $10 reinstatement fee.

•••
So basically that seller didn't give an opportunity to other potential buyers to place their bids and as a result might lost some profit. Accepting bids after auction ends isn't good for both, sellers and buyers

well this auction had already run for some number of days before my bid. i got the impression then that the seller had gone offline for a couple of days because my bid was waiting to be accepted for over 24 hours before the auction closed.

•••
I understand the second chance offer, but how many times have you been on the other side of that second chance offer. You said you bid upto $3K on a domain, you got outbid by that single bidder, if he didn't put that last bid in at $2975, you would have over paid $2XXX against a bidder who did not have the funds, or was not willing to close.

When you are on the other side of that bid, you just never know, that is what I am trying to state. The fine for failing to pay is a $10 reinstatement fee.

Compared to what the first person overbids 10 bucks is nothing.

•••
I have no clue what you just said...
He is stating last minute unverified bids are always higher than the last bid issued, so be prepared to lose after the auction closes at flippa.

•••
Or be ready to submit many bids. For example, sometimes I submit 4-5 different bids just to have some luck and to be in the running. What I said and saw is that pending bids are always higher than the bid I am submitting and when they are the same, the bid submitted before wina, which in this case will be the pending bids that are there at the time of making my bid.

•••

I stated before we have manual and automatic checks in place. We are able to proactively scrub anything we think is a bad bid and manually review anything that is flagged. It is a rare case that one would get through. It is also unlikely that someone would be able to bid over $1500 without a verified account. It is also not a $10 fine, we have various fines and bans in place that allow us to deal effectively with any situation. If we feel someone is falsifying bids we permanently ban them, no fine, and if it is malicious we can inform their ISP and block that user from our site as a whole, etc. We have many options open to us all of which I will not go into in a public forum as we do not want to give away all our controls and protocols to bad actors. I will say again we run a tight ship and bad bidding is not tolerated. We balance that by allowing for errors which people can make, we are human. This is where a fine may come to unban the account, however, you cannot simply pay a fine and continue to act bad on the auctions, you will be banned.

•••

You are absolutely right. That is why I got my lesson and stopped bidding when it becomes two horse race for long stretch...

•••
I've had this happened to me recently. Confused the hell out of me when I seen a notification stating that someone place a bid AFTER my auction had expired... Wierd

•••
Yeah, I agree.

So, from the latest:

1. Flippa let's after auction bidding and if you win, you don't know if you won and you don't get chance to bid higher.

2. Flippa ignores ticket from seller that it has removed reserve by mistake and that results in $60K sale not going through. Ref L7.com

3. Flippa sells a name for $40K, the buyer doesn't honor the deal, but instead of the name going to the second highest bidder, it goes to a new non-participating bidder that was on "waiting list"? Ref. Nerdy.com

4. Flippa let's obvious fraud listings like vodka.life be. And someone claimed that they have reported similar deals and moderators have told him they are fine.

Did I miss anything?
I remember nerdy.com catching my eye. crazy that happened. What is this waiting list?

•••
I remember nerdy.com catching my eye. crazy that happened. What is this waiting list?

It is an official explanation given by Flippa how a name that was not paid at $40K ended up at sale at $60K. The guy wasn't at auction, he was "on waiting list". Whatever that means.

•••
I stated before we have manual and automatic checks in place. We are able to proactively scrub anything we think is a bad bid and manually review anything that is flagged. It is a rare case that one would get through. It is also unlikely that someone would be able to bid over $1500 without a verified account. It is also not a $10 fine, we have various fines and bans in place that allow us to deal effectively with any situation. If we feel someone is falsifying bids we permanently ban them, no fine, and if it is malicious we can inform their ISP and block that user from our site as a whole, etc. We have many options open to us all of which I will not go into in a public forum as we do not want to give away all our controls and protocols to bad actors. I will say again we run a tight ship and bad bidding is not tolerated. We balance that by allowing for errors which people can make, we are human. This is where a fine may come to unban the account, however, you cannot simply pay a fine and continue to act bad on the auctions, you will be banned.
Please also respond to the first/main post that started this whole thread.

•••
Please also respond to the first/main post that started this whole thread.
I cant really respond to that as I am not Flippa. I work for GoDaddy and was responding to the questions directed towards us. :)

•••
I cant really respond to that as I am not Flippa. I work for GoDaddy and was responding to the questions directed towards us. :)
Oh ok, got ya...I guess the thread got too much going on...

•••
•••
Is it mandotary to offer to the second highest bidder? Isnt it the seller's choice and also the buyer to accept?
This is true on eBay auction. Ebays let seller and buyer communicate each other; and solve issues themselves. About pending bids and like, I'm not going to try to understand this kind of technique. Ebays does not disclose your full username at auction. I guess to protect bidders privacy... Ebays does not regulates auction items prices or values; and they don't extend or add additional minutes, seconds and hours for item auctioned that's already been expired. The highest bidder will gets the item; and if the first winner bidder will not pay for the item, then the seller can decide if he or she will offer it to the next higher bidders. Just a thought...

•••
I had a good experience with GoDaddy auctions. Near the close, when somebody bids you get 1min extra

Actually, it adds 5 mins

•••
I think it depends on the auction or how much time is left. I swear I saw it say "+1 min" before, but lately yeah when it's down to the wire it says +5 mins ;)

The only official answer I could find is "... if several bids are submitted in the final moments of an auction, GoDaddy Auctions may extend the length of the auction to allow potential buyers the opportunity to bid on the domain before the auction ends."

•••
Wow So No Response from Flippa at all...

10 points to the Joe Styler for standing up and clearing up any misconceptions about GD.

Hope the folks are Flippa are taking notes!

•••
Is Flippa remaining silent on this? Sometimes not saying anything speaks volumes.

•••
Wow So No Response from Flippa at all...

10 points to the Joe Styler for standing up and clearing up any misconceptions about GD.

Hope the folks are Flippa are taking notes!
Is Flippa remaining silent on this? Sometimes not saying anything speaks volumes.

No, but I do take a day off from time to time - expect a full response soon.

•••
I've noticed Flippa has been rather dead lately, at least in the starter site and domains section. This could explain why. As a seller who depends on making domain/site sales for income, this worries me. I just emailed this thread link to "Christina" and support at Flippa to let them know that users are unhappy.

•••
we can inform their ISP and block that user from our site as a whole
Thanks for responding, good comms as always. Although, I hope that ban is not just IP based (I'm sure it won't be.. :) given this is a bad/pointless thing to do).

•••
No, but I do take a day off from time to time - expect a full response soon.
Delegate ;) Even if just for a temporary response "We're aware of this, an official response is coming soon" etc

Unfortunately, silence does speak volumes in problematic scenarios. Doesn't mean you don't have a good reason etc, but without it being public silence remains the response :)

Of course everyone's entitled to days off, but the business never sleeps surely? And when there's a thread with the title "F*CK [YOUR_COMPANY_NAME]" in the most popular forum for the business' industry, and lots of people posting negative feedback, I would have expected someone to respond, fairly quickly. ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back