sales From $3000 offer to a $26000 domain sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

As I recently published a post with several of my recent domain sales, today I wanted to share another domain sale with complete detail of how it started and the deal was wrapped up successfully.

The domain I sold is Quaestor.com which was the oldest domain by creation date I owned until it sold. It was initially registered in 1994 but I acquired in 2018 for around $1100 via GoDaddy Auctions.

The inquiry came in via Uniregistry lander and I quoted price of $26,888. The buyer countered with $3000. After exchanging several emails and asking to come close to quoted price, the buyer revised his offer to $6,000.

Again after more communication, I said to present an offer of over $20,000 to get into negotiation.

With no response, I gave my final price of $25,000 with 7 days to accept. The buyer came in August and offered $10,000 but only after the 7 days period was over.

Sticking firm to the final price, the buyer came again in October and presented $15,000 offer to which I declined by informing the price is reverted back to $26,888 which was initially quoted because the offer of $25,000 was valid for 7 days only.

There was once again silence until the buyer came again in November by asking if I’m willing to negotiate as they’ve to decide and move on within a week period.

During this silence period of more than a month, I already upped the price at all marketplaces to $29,888 so I informed the buyer new price at all marketplaces but if he is still willing to buy, I can offer $26,000 to you only which is valid until the end of November.

Buyer immediately accepted and we used Sedo escrow and buyer paid the Sedo commission.

At one stage the domain was offered for $25,000 but ultimately sold for $26,000 to the same buyer. Every time you need to grab the offer at the right time, but you’re not always sure what’s that perfect time. We keep learning from our and others experiences. What best we can do is to keep learning all the time and improving ourselves.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
WOW! Excellent example of how to hang in there and know what the value of your domain name is worth to the end user. If its the right user then they will eventually come back and purchase and close, if not, exactly your price! Wonderful! A lesson for all of us!!!

•••
@AbdulBasit.com Nice sharing your experience in domaining. But one thing I observed is that when one is cash constraint, one could hardly put such skill in practice.

•••
@AbdulBasit.com Nice sharing your experience in domaining. But one thing I observed is that when one is cash constraint, one could hardly put such skill in practice.

I totally agree with you. No doubt about that. I've sacrificed lot of domains to get at this stage. But still I see many domain investors keep flipping domains for little profit where they could've fetched a lot more even though they've enough cash to keep things moving smoothly! So not everyone can be patient but yes, cash is obviously a plus point to have in order for you to play such tough game.

•••
WOW! Excellent example of how to hang in there and know what the value of your domain name is worth to the end user. If its the right user then they will eventually come back and purchase and close, if not, exactly your price! Wonderful! A lesson for all of us!!!

Thank you for your feedback which is appreciated :xf.love:

•••
•••
Congrats @AbdulBasit.com. Success stories like this actually motivate us to continue domaining. Wish you many more success....

•••
•••
Great work @AbdulBasit.com -- you have a great instinct on pricing and value, I'd have caved in long ago on that one.

•••
Congrats!
But crying about $215 fee on a $26k sale :)
That sounds like a cheapskate to me. Sorry.
Do not take it personally.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats!
But crying about $215 fee on a $26k sale :)
That sounds like a cheapskate to me. Sorry.
Do not take it personally.

Thanks!
Senseless for me to pay $213 when I'm getting similar service for free.

•••
Thanks for sharing and giving motivation to the rest of us.

Truly inspirational!!

•••
If it is a great domain you can stick to your "high" price, but I don't see how this domain is great. except that it is old (maybe after some research I would be convinced).

•••
If it is a great domain you can stick to your "high" price, but I don't see how this domain is great. except that it is old (maybe after some research I would be convinced).

Age is worthless metric to me. No worries, if you're eager to learn domain investing, you'll definitely understand the value of this domain after doing some research.

•••
Mind you; if the domain is not great for the buyer, he will not pay that amount.
Remember! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholders.

Last edited:
•••
Hello everyone,

As I recently published a post with several of my recent domain sales, today I wanted to share another domain sale with complete detail of how it started and the deal was wrapped up successfully.

The domain I sold is Quaestor.com which was the oldest domain by creation date I owned until it sold. It was initially registered in 1994 but I acquired in 2018 for around $1100 via GoDaddy Auctions.

The inquiry came in via Uniregistry lander and I quoted price of $26,888. The buyer countered with $3000. After exchanging several emails and asking to come close to quoted price, the buyer revised his offer to $6,000.

Again after more communication, I said to present an offer of over $20,000 to get into negotiation.

With no response, I gave my final price of $25,000 with 7 days to accept. The buyer came in August and offered $10,000 but only after the 7 days period was over.

Sticking firm to the final price, the buyer came again in October and presented $15,000 offer to which I declined by informing the price is reverted back to $26,888 which was initially quoted because the offer of $25,000 was valid for 7 days only.

There was once again silence until the buyer came again in November by asking if I’m willing to negotiate as they’ve to decide and move on within a week period.

During this silence period of more than a month, I already upped the price at all marketplaces to $29,888 so I informed the buyer new price at all marketplaces but if he is still willing to buy, I can offer $26,000 to you only which is valid until the end of November.

Buyer immediately accepted and we used Sedo escrow and buyer paid the Sedo commission.

At one stage the domain was offered for $25,000 but ultimately sold for $26,000 to the same buyer. Every time you need to grab the offer at the right time, but you’re not always sure what’s that perfect time. We keep learning from our and others experiences. What best we can do is to keep learning all the time and improving ourselves.

•••
Well done and congratulations.

•••
•••
Congrats! Yes, I read that post on your blog. I really appreciate you have shared to increase our knowledge of bargaining and dealing with such old domains.

•••
Thanks for the detailed outline of the sales, as always. :)

Next sale:

Abdul: $10K
Buyer: $9,500, Final offer.
Abdul: $10,500. Final.
SOLD.
Now that's a skill

•••
Some members have questioned the high value because it's an unrecognized non-english word but I feel the obvious key indicator to its value are the 35 extensions registered: https://dofo.com/lists/name/quaestor

Did not check how many are new but did look at a lot and they were all older registration dates (except xyz). guessing most all were taken long ago.

Being able to buy an expired dot-com for only $1,100 with so many extensions taken is rare and a very good deal, imo.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Abdul Basit is my favorite domainer on namepros. Thanks for sharing!

•••
•••
Hello everyone,

The domain I sold is Quaestor.com

I keep coming back to read this. Seeing that the site is already up and running made me really happy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back