IT.COM

sales From $3000 offer to a $26000 domain sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello everyone,

As I recently published a post with several of my recent domain sales, today I wanted to share another domain sale with complete detail of how it started and the deal was wrapped up successfully.

The domain I sold is Quaestor.com which was the oldest domain by creation date I owned until it sold. It was initially registered in 1994 but I acquired in 2018 for around $1100 via GoDaddy Auctions.

The inquiry came in via Uniregistry lander and I quoted price of $26,888. The buyer countered with $3000. After exchanging several emails and asking to come close to quoted price, the buyer revised his offer to $6,000.

Again after more communication, I said to present an offer of over $20,000 to get into negotiation.

With no response, I gave my final price of $25,000 with 7 days to accept. The buyer came in August and offered $10,000 but only after the 7 days period was over.

Sticking firm to the final price, the buyer came again in October and presented $15,000 offer to which I declined by informing the price is reverted back to $26,888 which was initially quoted because the offer of $25,000 was valid for 7 days only.

There was once again silence until the buyer came again in November by asking if I’m willing to negotiate as they’ve to decide and move on within a week period.

During this silence period of more than a month, I already upped the price at all marketplaces to $29,888 so I informed the buyer new price at all marketplaces but if he is still willing to buy, I can offer $26,000 to you only which is valid until the end of November.

Buyer immediately accepted and we used Sedo escrow and buyer paid the Sedo commission.

At one stage the domain was offered for $25,000 but ultimately sold for $26,000 to the same buyer. Every time you need to grab the offer at the right time, but you’re not always sure what’s that perfect time. We keep learning from our and others experiences. What best we can do is to keep learning all the time and improving ourselves.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
may I ask what was your at the time financial position when he first wrote you?
And up until he offered you 10K?

•••
may I ask what was your at the time financial position when he first wrote you?
And up until he offered you 10K?

Stable position where I wasn't in rush to sell at all right from the first email till the domain got sold.

•••
really congrats!! do you often use this strategy ending in nothing?

However I think the portfolio u built during these years is giving you the opportunity to play this game in a successful way and this is the greatest thing!
I've read of your recent sales from your blog also.... very well done also with 3 words names, great ROI!

•••
really congrats!! do you often use this strategy ending in nothing?

However I think the portfolio u built during these years is giving you the opportunity to play this game in a successful way and this is the greatest thing!
I've read of your recent sales from your blog also.... very well done also with 3 words names, great ROI!

Thanks!

As said earlier to fellow member, this strategy is used many times but hardly works (in terms of successfully selling) unless the buyer is serious enough. But in most cases, I stick firm to my price after giving out final price.

I totally agree with you on having advantage of a good portfolio which has been built in last many years.

As the year ends, I'll be having 3,400 domains in my portfolio.

•••
Thanks!

As the year ends, I'll be having 3,400 domains in my portfolio.
I know you sell very well but, how do you deal with renewals in terms of knowing when each of them is due for renewal

Last edited:
•••
I know you sell very well but, how do you deal with renewals in terms of knowing when each of them is due for renewal

I usually renew my domains lot more in advance. 20% of my domains are expiring next year which I'm hopeful to renew by next month so there will be no domain left to be renewed in entire 2020. I give no hope to any buyer the domain is dropping.

•••
I usually renew my domains lot more in advance. 20% of my domains are expiring next year which I'm hopeful to renew by next month so there will be no domain left to be renewed in entire 2020. I give no hope to any buyer the domain is dropping.
Okay good, nice ideas. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story!

•••
Congrats for you sale @AbdulBasit.com , adore the way you do your business with full transparency and without any hesitation. Your blog says a lot! Just curious, what could be your handregg vs expired auction names ratio? Whats your avg. acquisition prices? Also, would like to know your struggle to acquiring these names.

Good luck for more future sales!

•••
•••
Congrats for you sale @AbdulBasit.com , adore the way you do your business with full transparency and without any hesitation. Your blog says a lot! Just curious, what could be your handregg vs expired auction names ratio? Whats your avg. acquisition prices? Also, would like to know your struggle to acquiring these names.

Good luck for more future sales!

Thank you so much!

More than 95% domains are not hand registered. Most of them are from expiring auction and private acquisition.

I never calculated my average buying price for the entire portfolio.

There was overall less competition in the past so surely it was relatively easier than now to acquire domains. Also the domain owners have got pretty smart as many domain investors have knocked their doors which have alerted them and made them to think about their domains. I find it more difficult to buy both in expiring auctions as well as private acquisitions.

•••
•••
Hello everyone,

As I recently published a post with several of my recent domain sales, today I wanted to share another domain sale with complete detail of how it started and the deal was wrapped up successfully.

The domain I sold is Quaestor.com which was the oldest domain by creation date I owned until it sold. It was initially registered in 1994 but I acquired in 2018 for around $1100 via GoDaddy Auctions.

The inquiry came in via Uniregistry lander and I quoted price of $26,888. The buyer countered with $3000. After exchanging several emails and asking to come close to quoted price, the buyer revised his offer to $6,000.

Again after more communication, I said to present an offer of over $20,000 to get into negotiation.

With no response, I gave my final price of $25,000 with 7 days to accept. The buyer came in August and offered $10,000 but only after the 7 days period was over.

Sticking firm to the final price, the buyer came again in October and presented $15,000 offer to which I declined by informing the price is reverted back to $26,888 which was initially quoted because the offer of $25,000 was valid for 7 days only.

There was once again silence until the buyer came again in November by asking if I’m willing to negotiate as they’ve to decide and move on within a week period.

During this silence period of more than a month, I already upped the price at all marketplaces to $29,888 so I informed the buyer new price at all marketplaces but if he is still willing to buy, I can offer $26,000 to you only which is valid until the end of November.

Buyer immediately accepted and we used Sedo escrow and buyer paid the Sedo commission.

At one stage the domain was offered for $25,000 but ultimately sold for $26,000 to the same buyer. Every time you need to grab the offer at the right time, but you’re not always sure what’s that perfect time. We keep learning from our and others experiences. What best we can do is to keep learning all the time and improving ourselves.

and here we are sweating it out trying to get $500 from $100 offers... so all we have to do is say "no" and wait a whole season? wow :D

•••
and here we are sweating it out trying to get $500 from $100 offers... so all we have to do is say "no" and wait a whole season? wow :D

Hahaha. I understand it's very difficult and I've been gone through such phase you've mentioned. It requires lot of patience, quality domains, quantity of domains, good cash flow, cash reserve, etc. Which makes you to stay firm on what you're asking. And still most of the leads end up nowhere which I've admitted. Very few gets successful and the ratio is too low.

I'm still learning on being how to be more patient to get more out of every sale :xf.smile:

•••
•••
Congrats!
Thanks for sharing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back