IT.COM

Fraudulent charges by Mashape.com for Name Toolkit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
I'm posting to warn you about some fraudulent charges I incurred while dealing with Mashape.com during my use of the Name Toolkit API.

Name Tookit is a domain-name suggestion/whois tool provided by Mashape.com. I began using the service a couple weeks ago and found it to work pretty decently, returning errors on an average of every 20 queries or so. My complaint isn't about that; I consider that acceptable.

With Name Tookit you get 1000 queries per month for free, 10,000 for $5, or 50,000 for $25. I started with the free subscription, then upgraded to the $5 (the pro). Then as I was close to using up all my 'pro' queries I got an email from Mashape informing me that I was near my query limit. I was already planning on upgrading to the Ultra (the $25 plan), so I did.

Mashape charged the debit card I had on file for $25, and then I received an email from Mashape telling me that an attempted charge for $33.66 on the $5 plan failed. There was no explanation as to the charge. I was extremely careful not to go over my limits, and never did.

Mashape said they'd attempt the charge again in a day. But an hour later I got another email saying the charge was declined again. I continued receiving this message every hour.

I contacted Mashape multiple times today to inform them of the problem. I received one reply with a canned response where someone said they'd look into it.

I called my bank and asked what my options are, and my bank said that if Mashape won't stop running the charges I'll have to cancel my debit card and get a new one. I don't know if the person I talked to exaggerated, but she said she saw the attempted charge from Mashape hundreds of times.

I keep the balance on this debit card very low for this exact reason.

Now Mashape has stopped sending me emails, although I got one informing me that my subscription will be cancelled if I don't make good on the $33.66. Still no explanation as to how they came up with $33.66 on a $5 plan where I didn't go over my limit.

After this experience I'd advise you to do business with Mashape.com at your own risk.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the same happened to me. they are crooks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back