IT.COM

Forwarding and Hosting etc! Your mission should you choose to accept...

NameSilo
Watch

dannyinpt

Established Member
Impact
Firstly a couple of apologies, if this post is in the wrong place and for probably a silly question!
I have a domain name on Dynadot I want to upload a site to (site B), and my hosting is at GD, how do I host the site?
Do I create a folder within my main hosting folder, lets say the main is site A at GD do I just add site B into this folder and call it site B. Then forward the name servers at Dynadot to this site B at GD, if I am correct what would the name server line look like? I know about the NS1 and NS2 for parking purposes, but how do I construct the lines to point to site B within site A.
Wow I can hardly understand what I have just written so I will be mighty impressed if one or two of you get it. If by any chance someone has got my drift I would really appreciate some help, and if you could put it in terms that a thicko like me can understand even better.
Many thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have hosting at GD, then you are good to go to put a site on that domain.
Now GD will have the DNS you need to input where your domain is regged (dynadot).
Then wait upwards to 72 hours for your domain with site to propagate to the internet.

•••
Thanks Iowadawg, so I just need to set up wordpress under site B name in site A folder and name that site B, then get the DNS direction from GD and input them at Dynadot. And then wait for propagation, is that correct.

•••
I don't know about GD hosting features, but if I'm correctly understood, usually you can easily accomplish similar things in cPanel. You creating main domain account, then adding "Addon Domain" , which can be pointed by domain registrar via A record. Advanced DNS zone modifications is also possible in cPanel, so you can point/redirect different domains to another server(s) from the same account.

•••
I don't know about GD hosting features, but if I'm correctly understood, usually you can easily accomplish similar things in cPanel. You creating main domain account, then adding "Addon Domain" , which can be pointed by domain registrar via A record. Advanced DNS zone modifications is also possible in cPanel, so you can point/redirect different domains to another server(s) from the same account.
Exactly! As far as I understand you want to have 2 completely separate websites - Domain A should open Website A and Domain B should open Website B. If that is the case, and your account is suited for multiple websites, then you simply need to add Domain B as Addon Domain from the cPanel and point Domain B from Dynadot, to point to your account nameservers (or just point the A records if you want to have the website only, without mailing services etc.). Simple as that ;)

•••
Hi, thank you all for the advice, nearly got it working but Dynadot's DNS is a pain to work through. There does not seem to be an update button, it seems you have to leave the settings until they update automatically. I can set the NS1 and NS2 to GD but it does not seem to accept the A record changes to the ip of my hosting account, I do have the multi hosting account at GD. The site does appear to be active and present online but I cannot log in through Wordpress to alter the site, when I installed Wordpress to this particular domain name it only asked for a password and not an admin user name, I have tried using "admin" as the user as I know it defaults to that. Would it be reverting to another user name somehow, I have tried all the user names and passwords I have set for various things, but still cannot get in. Wow it is frustrating.
Any advice?
Thanks again for your help so far.

•••
It would be a good idea if you address these issues directly to GD support, they'd assist you better I believe ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back