IT.COM

Flippa Upgrades, Are They Really Worth The Cost?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tarabasa Domains Ltd

Established Member
Impact
As somebody who's fairly new in the domaining game, it can be hard to rack up page views to start getting bids + sales on your domains

Flippa is highly appraised which makes it an easy website for starter outs to go to, to try to sell domains but is it an overrated website?

From my personal experience id pay the basic $9 fee to list a domain which I think would have potential, and it would just sit there, and sit there, and sit there...maybe racking up a total of 10 page views in the process, and then the auction would end with 0 bids!

Flippa have a very seductive way with words of luring people to pay xxx amount of $'s by giving hope that your domains will sell, but is it all just false hope or are the prices that Flippa ask for actually worth it?

So the basic $9 listing will (for me anyway) leave my auction sitting there to get up to 10 page views maximum, but they offer upsell options of $49 for a homepage listing, and $99 for a top of the homepage listing
A total of $148 if you decide to go for both

That's a lot of money when it comes to domaining, you could register a great handful of fantastic domains for that price

Do these upsales actually boost page views and more or less guarantee a bid on your auction? And if so by how much? How many more views will an auction get from these kind of prices?

Or are they all just ways for Flippa to make more money and for everybody else to lose confidence in their domains and in the domaining business? Will that be a $148 investment gone to waste

Looking on the NamePros forum, it doesn't seem like people have a lot of good things to say about Flippa A lot of posts here warn that Flippa is a terrible site to use and say that many people have had bad experiences with the Flippa auction site

Have any people here actually had any good experiences with sales on Flippa? Or if not, what would be a better site with better upgrade prices ideal for people looking to sell good domains at good prices

I've heard positive things about GoDaddy Auctions, Sedo, and Bido

All feedback appreciated :) thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't use flippa, never go there, but i would never spend that kind of money on that.
Godaddy is a popular place with non domainers as well, and a few paid links to your auction like DomainShane.com Domaining.com and Namebio.com places like that would cost a lot less total and get exposure at more than all your eggs in one basket. $150 to much to pay for just exposure at one place

•••
I don't use flippa, never go there, but i would never spend that kind of money on that.
Godaddy is a popular place with non domainers as well, and a few paid links to your auction like DomainShane.com Domaining.com and Namebio.com places like that would cost a lot less total and get exposure at more than all your eggs in one basket. $150 to much to pay for just exposure at one place
Great reply, thanks bro :)

•••
•••
I have used Flippa to sell domains in the past. I think it all depends on the type of domain you are selling. If you are selling domain hacks and .io's I think it would be a good choice to use them but anything else would be a waste of time and money.

•••
It's worth it but depends on the domain.

•••
No. I've had terrible experience with them and their updates. I've lost $500+ with their useless upgrades. And I can tell the difrerence between good and bad domain.

Furthermore I really can't understand how domainers can sell their domains there, because easy they can get many more $$$ for their domains from godaddy auctions for example. I've made the experiment with LLLL.com two years ago. $100 at flippa - i listed at godaddy auctions immediately after that - sold for $400.

So - don't waste your time with flippa. It is good for buyers and for insiders like Zandi and Shane in the past (who are using shill bidding+massive promotion from their flippa friends).

•••
No. I've had terrible experience with them and their updates. I've lost $500+ with their useless upgrades. And I can tell the difrerence between good and bad domain.

Furthermore I really can't understand how domainers can sell their domains there, because easy they can get many more $$$ for their domains from godaddy auctions for example. I've made the experiment with LLLL.com two years ago. $100 at flippa - i listed at godaddy auctions immediately after that - sold for $400.

So - don't waste your time with flippa. It is good for buyers and for insiders like Zandi and Shane in the past (who are using shill bidding+massive promotion from their flippa friends).
Flippa is good for tech and other niches.

For example I sold Laptop/Parts/.com for $3,000 a few weeks ago but on GD the bidding only reached around $2,300.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back