Domain Empire

Flippa Upgrades

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

D Haynes

Top Member
Impact
As per usual I haven’t looked to see if there is already a thread on this topic so I apologise in advance if I’m about to moan about something that’s already been moaned about but I thought I’d air my views about a couple of the changes Flippa have made to their listing upgrades.

So the first thing is that they appear to have changed the layout of their domains home page (and possibly the websites and apps homepages). Before you could pay your $49 to be on the carousel along the top of the page. Your name would rotate through the positions of the carousel as new names were added and would then cascade down a list of 30 or so (roughly) positions underneath. In all, if you were lucky you would get quite a few days worth of exposure for your 49 bucks which I would consider quite good value for money and well worth doing. However, they seem to have done away with the other positions under the carousel which essentially means you lose two thirds of your exposure. Same price for one third of the time? We all know it’s not worth spending the 9 bucks on the listing unless you have an upgrade as your auction just gets lost in the crowd. I just thought this sucked as I didn’t realise until I’d paid my 9 dollars lol doh!

The second thing is that when I looked at the upgrades list there is now another option for “Premium Support” ($25). Now maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but to me this is a total confidence killer. Surely all support should be premium? They are basically saying “Our support is poor and we know it but if you pay us money we can sort something out for you”. How on earth can you charge for support? They’re holding their customers to ransom. I’ve never heard of any other company big or small that charges for what I assume is just product support. It’s laughable. They should be striving to answer all support as fast as possible regardless. So now if I have any issues, I know I’m in the queue behind richer people than me. Thanks Flippa.

Anyway I just wanted to have a rant. As usual I have gone off on rant without fully researching the topic and if I’m totally wrong about anything then I retract my statements and appologise.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Totally agree with you. I made some good cash on flippa before. But after recent changes, I am not going to use their serves ever again. Such things happen when company has no competition. Flippa has no competition, so they can charge sellers as much as they want simply because there is no other place where you can sell domains/websites. And they know it.

•••
Totally agree with you. I made some good cash on flippa before. But after recent changes, I am not going to use their serves ever again. Such things happen when company has no competition. Flippa has no competition, so they can charge sellers as much as they want simply because there is no other place where you can sell domains/websites. And they know it.
It's what we call "having you over a barrel". I don't intend to use them again after my current auction.

•••
I agree the price upgrade was a bit surprising, specially because it happened without any notice.
I have 100 transactions on Flippa, totaling over $7k.
At first i was also about to stop using their services because of the price upgrade but i wanted to test and these are my findings:
1 - Sales are actually better now since all the "small fish" left the pond.
2 - You get A LOT more views to your auctions as the number of auctions dropped.
3 - You can ask a higher amount for your websites/domains because point 1 ;)
Give it a try.... i came to conclusion it is much better now because all the "sell my site or domain for $20" sellers left the scene.

•••
I tried. It only works if you sell established sites. When it comes to domains or turnkey sites, flippa doesn't work anymore unfortunately. And you can't ask more higher amount simply because users/buyers don't care!

I found namejet is a good place for domains if you want to sell really expensive.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back