IT.COM

discuss Flippa and the Issue of Seller's Rights

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
Not long ago, I've sold a domain on Flippa. Nlw, I'm going to post this in here at the start. These are germs I have in every auction I post:

“Note: eCop, an escrow that allows Paypal, is available for all purchases. So if you want to bid but can only pay via Paypal, feel free to! Paypal itself is accepted for any sale at or under $50US (except to users with no previous buys/transactions). Anything between $51-200 needs to be approved by me before I’ll accept Paypal for it. Paypal isn’t accepted for any auction ending at $201 or higher. For those, we’ll use Flippa escrow or eCop.”

This is NOT written in tiny print, a made-up language, or in any way hard to locate. It’s right there, in the open. I keep the Paypal option open for ALL USERS WHO FIT THE CRITERIA. Those who meet it (sales at under $50) can freely send me Paypal whenever convenient.

Now:

The auction ended at over $200. Per my terms, payment was ONLY ACCEPTABLE via an escrow. The winner, a new Flippa user, IGNORED my terms and shot me a Paypal payment. As my account was empty prior to this (and the act that Flippa removed 10%), I wasn't able to send the user a full refund. This exact same thing had happened several times before. I didn’t write terms out for someone to completely ignore. He bid and thusly agreed to my terms (it's considered an acceptance to terms when a person agrees to bidding, correct?). After several days, Flippa reimbursed me the 10%, and I was able to send the money back to the buyer.

But that was the final straw: as he refused to honor my terms, I've refused to sell the domain to him.

Three disputes were opened, 2 of them by me. I've left this in the sales discussion, after Staff got involved:

“You are forgetting an extremely important fact: there is such a thing as sellers rights. No matter the platform, we have our rights, so long as they do not conflict with the governing/site rules. He broke my rules. But I cannot suspend him or in any other way penalize him for his wrongdoings. Where is his lesson there? Answer: there is none. The best I can do is refuse the sale. It should in no way conflict with Flippa's TOS. It's not me saying, "Oh, I'm not happy with the price. So I won't sell." Hell, I've sold many aged (10+ years old) for $1 each! It all boils down to the fact that there was a trespass. Flippa temporarily banned me for breaking rules (note: this was with an issue of what was deemed as spam). The most I can do here is refuse to sell to this person.”

Staff said little, aside from "you should just turn the Paypal option off."There is no point/purpose/use/need in it: I keep the option on for PEOPLE WHO READ MY LISTINGS AND ABIDE BY MY TERMS. That’s the point. Why should I not make things easier for buyers simply because a moron here and there refuses to follow terms? If someone bid on an auction without agreeing to Flippa’s TOS, they’d see penalty. And here I am, discussing a user who refused to take a minute to read my terms and agree to them. He bid, spit on me, and expected me to wipe it off with a perfunctory smile.

How can Flippa allow buyers to do as they feel, ignoring the basic principles of what a seller can//should always be capable of, and expect to thrive? Again, this is not an issue of me being unhappy with the selling price or anything remotely similar. I’ve simply had too many people walk all over me and expect to walk away like nothing had happened.

A suggestion to @Flippa / @FlippaDomains you NEED to draft out a section in your TOS specifying exactly and to what extent sellers have a right with their proceedings. If Flippa can cancel out an auction because the seller believes that the buyer is shady (as they’ve done for me a few times in the past), then I see no logical reason to let this mockery stand. I’m 100% in the right here, and I am in no way wrong. This entire fiasco is an insult to me and to the institution of free enterprise. I’ll state this publically: the winner will not receive the domain, no matter what he does or how much complaining he performs. It’s said, done, and over. Next time, he should stop to read listings. If you make a mess, you are the one to fault. He’s caused me to lose many hours, due to his blind-bidding/not reading my terms. Why is this even an issue? Someone is to blame for his folly. And guess what? It’s him.

I'm typically a Flippa cheerleader, but this is annoying. Really, Flippa, you NEED TO BETTER PROTECT YOUR SELLERS. I don’t want either of us to wage a war on seller’s rights. But you need to protect us. Without the sellers and their domains/websites/apps, there IS no Flippa. This is easily the best platform I’ve ever used, and you guys have spent a lotta cash and made some costly acquisitions to set yourselves apart from the pack. Depriving us sellers of our obvious rights really tarnishes your image.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These are some great points. I definitely agree and I like the fact that you stated your opinion without totally bashing Flippa because like you mentioned they are a great platform to sell names at.I believe this is a good suggestion just need to give it some thought and maybe put out a survey and see what other suggestions are out there regarding seller rights.

This will only make the overall experience better at Flippa an will help eliminate shady people on both the buyer and seller side.

- Will

•••
Flippa is great so really, I've no desire to bash them. But we deserve to have our sellers rights etched in stone. Once a bid is made on an auction, its description cannot be modified. So we can't change our terms once the first bid is made. That should be enough for buyers: to know that once the ball gets rolling, the seller can't change terms. This entire mess is frustrating... and pointless, as there is no way in existence he could possibly get the domain from me. He broke my terms. Why should I have to kiss this guy's ass?

These are some great points. I definitely agree and I like the fact that you stated your opinion without totally bashing Flippa because like you mentioned they are a great platform to sell names at.I believe this is a good suggestion just need to give it some thought and maybe put out a survey and see what other suggestions are out there regarding seller rights.

This will only make the overall experience better at Flippa an will help eliminate shady people on both the buyer and seller side.

- Will

•••
(I've just noticed a few typos/auto corrects my word processor had before I pasted my initial message in here. I can't edit it, either. Woe is me.)

•••
I still believe we sellers need more backing. But I'll post this email, as it pertains to the decision:

The dispute you were involved in for listing #5586154 (DOMAIN REDACTED) has been resolved.

Sale cancelled, buyer to be refunded due to seller backing out of sale.

Please let us know as soon as possible if there are any further problems at [email protected]

Kind Regards,
The Flippa Team

This is a good start.

•••
Staff said little, aside from "you should just turn the Paypal option off."There is no point/purpose/use/need in it: I keep the option on
Side rant, payments through PayPal can still be made due to a bug/error and staff know of it, but haven't fixed it.

•••
I understand your frustration.
In Flippa's defense, what will happen if every seller put up their own terms - often times vague or incomplete.

•••
That's a good point. But simple terms shouldn't be hard to do. Like with mine, I simply state who can pay via Paypal and who can't. Something like that isn't complicated, and it's easy to follow. Surely there would be ppl who post really vague terms. Simply put: if a buyer is in doubt, he should contact the seller before bidding. After all, sellers are told to contact Flippa if they're unclear of the rules.

I understand your frustration.
On Flippa's defense, what will happen if every seller put up their own terms - often times vague or incomplete.

•••
They probably do need to have that put into their T.O.S. that sellers can set rules, or tell sellers they can't and only what Flippa sees as proper will hold.

•••
@Archangel Been behind on communication this week, and headed offline for a stretch. I'll respond in full next week, and will help any way I can, personally; I've enjoyed our working together thus far and am sorry you've had a sub-par experience.

I'll need to know who on "staff" helped you. We're beefing up our CS team at moment and hiring the *right* people, so if there's any issue with anyone that either misrepresents something or sloughs you off without solving your issue, I'd like to know about it.

I'll delve more into this when back - talk to you soon

•••
It's been an off-week for me, as well. Got a lot to catch up on. I'll read your next reply before I write out a longer piece. But I do wanna say you are easily the best staff member I've worked with. The frustrating thing is: not everyone is up to par. I had issues with Devoir, if you recall (but those are over). Take the following: I've flat-out refused to sell TWICE, and both of my requests were ignored.

Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:47:05 AEST
Josh W.:

Dispute has been cancelled as buyer wishes to complete sale.

archangel: While you might blame the buyer for not reading your listing description fully you did set payment options to include PayPal so the full blame does not necessarily lie with the buyer.
The fact is they have apologized and paid the funds correctly into Flippa Escrow, i suggest you put your differences aside to complete this. You have made mistakes which relate to not reading our rules and had sanctions applied and we allowed you a chance to make right so i suggest you do the same and complete this sale to put an end to this

This guy is an idiot. Sorry Josh, but I said no. You, Josh, are not supposed to say, "He still wants to do this. So I won't close this up." I requested a close TWICE and got this basic reply. I'm an ultra busy guy. And the would-be buyer AND Flippa wasted my time. But I blame this support worker, not Flippa itself.

And, Josh, it was 100% the buyer and 0% my fault: Paypal was/is enabled for those who READ MY TERMS. Josh should be fired. He's insulting.

I don't believe it'd be a good idea for sellers to be capable of enacting long, complicated rules. But the basics should do. And really, look at all the time sellers would be saved if we didn't have to kiss the ass of every buyer who spits on our faces. If they dirty something, we shouldn't be obligated to clean it or use the dirtied deal.

@Archangel Been behind on communication this week, and headed offline for a stretch. I'll respond in full next week, and will help any way I can, personally; I've enjoyed our working together thus far and am sorry you've had a sub-par experience.

I'll need to know who on "staff" helped you. We're beefing up our CS team at moment and hiring the *right* people, so if there's any issue with anyone that either misrepresents something or sloughs you off without solving your issue, I'd like to know about it.

I'll delve more into this when back - talk to you soon

•••
@Archangel Just following up; PM to make sure we can smooth everything out. I'd like to look further into the issue and rectify anything outstanding...

•••
Fortunately, this problem I had was resolved. But a new one popped up. I'll have to explain it to somebody in an email.

•••
Attach me on it. Document all CS tickets; we're training new people and have some great new reps. Want to make sure you get everything resolved...

•••
I forwarded my support email to help -at- flippa.com too

Attach me on it. Document all CS tickets; we're training new people and have some great new reps. Want to make sure you get everything resolved...

•••
One solution:

Turn off payment by PayPal.

For those whom you allow to pay by PayPal, they can pay you directly and you pay Flippa the Success Fee after.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back