Dynadot

tips Five myths about domaining that prevent you from selling more names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Here are five myths that might become an obstacle for your domain selling business.

1. Domain age matters
The truth is that for the majority of end-users, the age of the domain is irrelevant. The real value of the domain is in the domain itself. If Hotels.com drops tomorrow and you happen to catch it, that does nothing to the value of the domain. It it still one of the most premium names you can find. But that applies to almost every other domain. Now, some end-users may prefer names with some history and links, but even in this case age may be irrelevant, since links are not lost overnight.

2. Don't leave money on the table
If you are selling a name that is worth only a few hundred dollars, the concept of leaving or not leaving money on the table is absurd. If someone offers you $600 for a name that you wanted to sell for $750, don't argue about it and take the offer. That might be the only offer you will ever receive for that name. This concept is only relevant when we are talking about premium names.

3. Good names sell by themselves, no need to promote them
False. That is not the case in business in general and certainly not the case for domains. The world is full with great products that no one buys. Although it is clear that certain valuable names might receive a higher number of offers, promoting them increases the likelihood of selling them exponentially.

4. Names that make no sense are selling, so my dusspssse.com has a chance
Whenever you see a weird name that sold, look closely and do some research and you will see there are generally good reasons why that name sold. In the worst case-scenario, this name was relevant to only one person out of the nearly 8 billion people in the world, so are you willing to wait for that single person to contact you while you keep renewing dusspssse.com?

5. All good names are taken
Not true. As I write this, there are countless names that dropped and are still sitting there that you could be able to flip for hundreds or even thousands. Sure, you might not find single-word popular English terms available for registration, but those are not the only money-makers you can find.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here are five myths that might become an obstacle for your domain selling business.

1. Domain age matters
The truth is that for the majority of end-users, the age of the domain is irrelevant. The real value of the domain is in the domain itself. If Hotels.com drops tomorrow and you happen to catch the the name, that does nothing to the value of the domain. It it still one of the most premium names you can find. But that applies to almost every other domain. Now, some end-users may prefer names with some history and links, but even in this case age may be irrelevant, since links are not lost overnight.

If you are selling a name that is worth only a few hundred dollars, the concept of leaving or not leaving money on the table is absurd. If some offers you $600 for a name that you wanted to sell for $750, don't argue about it and take the offer. That might be the only offer you will ever receive for that name. This concept is only relevant when we are talking about premium names.

False. That is not the case in business in general and certainly not the case for domains. The world is full with great products that no one buys. Although it is clear that certain valuable names might receive a higher number of offers, promoting them increases the likelihood of selling them exponentially.

Whenever you see a weird name that sold, look closely and do some research and you will see there are generally good reasons why that name sold. In the worst case-scenario, this name was relevant to only one person out of the nearly 8 billion people in the world, so are you willing to wait for that single person to contact you while you keep renewing dusspssse.com?

Not true. As I write this, there are countless names that dropped and are still sitting there that you could be able to flip for hundreds or even thousands. Sure, you might not find single-word popular English terms available for registration, but those are not the only money-makers you can find.

One of the best posts on namepros, will help a lot of guys.

Thanks.

•••
So you are saying there are still good names that have dropped a long time ago and havent been regged again? Hmm... maybe I need to check the dropped domains on expireddomains.net more intensive.

•••
That is an excellent post!
Regarding post 4 and 5: I registered a few dropped domains with nice keywords and they sold after a few months for over 10x.
And oddly enough I sold two dropped brandable 5L domains that I thought might take years to sell - and they sold for 3x and 7x within a few months as well. I would not have renewed them.

•••
Good post. You busted many myths especially about silly things like age.

•••
•••
This subheadline is to the point "Names that make no sense are selling, so my dusspssse.com has a chance"
Good researched article.

•••
Not good post. So many errors. Point 2 - wrong. Point 5 wrong.

•••
Why is point 5 wrong? I register all my dot coms from expired lists and get sales and parking revenue.

•••
•••
•••
Very rarely hand reg names that have good parking ctr. What is your secret?

•••
•••
thank you

agree 100%

1 question left:
how to promote domains?

•••
I saw only 2 types of so-called "promotion":
SPAM
MLS (no problems here, if you are ready to sponsor Sedo, Afternic etc. throwing 20%).

Last edited:
•••
Sex.com, Game.com, Streaming.com just to name a few don't need promotion so as great two word .com like greatdeal.com freecam.com. There's plenty of end usersactively looking to get those.

I agree that names are droping. I also bealive that there's some great availalbe domain name that are still unregistered. I have a list of 300 made up word and twoword domain name that are curently available to reg.

•••
Domain age matters

It's true. Domain age does not really matter, but I found age is a very good indicator to pre-select a domain for further inspection.

•••
So you are saying there are still good names that have dropped a long time ago and havent been regged again

I think it's true. If a domain has not been spotted by domainers in auctions/prerelease/dropcatch/expired or whatever, it is very likely it will be stay unregistered for a long period. It is specially true for brandable.

I've also found it's not difficult to find an unregistered name for a new business/activity, even in highly competitive fields.

•••
1 question left:
how to promote domains?

I have the same question. What I've read in NP so far is not very convincing beside the obvious outreach method when you can clearly identify end users

In particular, anything I've read on advertising (in the usual sense 'placing an ad somewhere' does not seem to produce appreciable effects.

•••
Brief and thoughtful post. Thank you

•••
Not good post. So many errors. Point 2 - wrong. Point 5 wrong.
^ Not a useful post. So little information or explanation. Point 1 wrong, Point 2 wrong.

kthks

•••
Wow your post reads my mind. Perfect post. Great minds think alike.

•••

1. Domain age matters
The truth is that for the majority of end-users, the age of the domain is irrelevant. The real value of the domain is in the domain itself. If Hotels.com drops tomorrow and you happen to catch it, that does nothing to the value of the domain. It it still one of the most premium names you can find. But that applies to almost every other domain. Now, some end-users may prefer names with some history and links, but even in this case age may be irrelevant, since links are not lost overnight.

If you are selling a name that is worth only a few hundred dollars, the concept of leaving or not leaving money on the table is absurd. If someone offers you $600 for a name that you wanted to sell for $750, don't argue about it and take the offer. That might be the only offer you will ever receive for that name. This concept is only relevant when we are talking about premium names.

Just to add one more Myth is the CHIPS & Non-CHIPS...

No doubt 2015 was a bubble year in domaining history but that faded away in 2016...

Now the CHIPs & Non chips stand on the same platform

•••
Great post, very useful information that is usually learned from trial and error... kudos to you

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back