Domain Empire

tips Five myths about domaining that prevent you from selling more names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Here are five myths that might become an obstacle for your domain selling business.

1. Domain age matters
The truth is that for the majority of end-users, the age of the domain is irrelevant. The real value of the domain is in the domain itself. If Hotels.com drops tomorrow and you happen to catch it, that does nothing to the value of the domain. It it still one of the most premium names you can find. But that applies to almost every other domain. Now, some end-users may prefer names with some history and links, but even in this case age may be irrelevant, since links are not lost overnight.

2. Don't leave money on the table
If you are selling a name that is worth only a few hundred dollars, the concept of leaving or not leaving money on the table is absurd. If someone offers you $600 for a name that you wanted to sell for $750, don't argue about it and take the offer. That might be the only offer you will ever receive for that name. This concept is only relevant when we are talking about premium names.

3. Good names sell by themselves, no need to promote them
False. That is not the case in business in general and certainly not the case for domains. The world is full with great products that no one buys. Although it is clear that certain valuable names might receive a higher number of offers, promoting them increases the likelihood of selling them exponentially.

4. Names that make no sense are selling, so my dusspssse.com has a chance
Whenever you see a weird name that sold, look closely and do some research and you will see there are generally good reasons why that name sold. In the worst case-scenario, this name was relevant to only one person out of the nearly 8 billion people in the world, so are you willing to wait for that single person to contact you while you keep renewing dusspssse.com?

5. All good names are taken
Not true. As I write this, there are countless names that dropped and are still sitting there that you could be able to flip for hundreds or even thousands. Sure, you might not find single-word popular English terms available for registration, but those are not the only money-makers you can find.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even the CHIPS are selling at base price of $300-325 until pronunceable..
Non CHIPs have more or less the same...even more because it has the vowels a,e,i,o,u...

take for example xjqk.com which is a CHIP

& on other hand take a Non CHIP
suvi.com or ixgy.com...

now compare it...and see the things from a end user perspective...

There was a CHIP bubble..now no more.....àbsurd & ridiculous

Last edited:
•••
Even the CHIPS are selling at base price of $300-325 until pronunceable..
Non CHIPs have more or less the same...even more because it has the vowels a,e,i,o,u...

take for example xjqk.com which is a CHIP

& on other hand take a Non CHIP
suvi.com or ixgy.com...

now compare it...and see the things from a end user perspective...

There was a CHIP bubble..now no more.....àbsurd & ridiculous

yes looks like you are right...
sorry to confuse you

those chinese don't know what they are doing lately !

•••
•••
Nice post, Yes valuable domains are valuable but I disagreed to an extent with point one about the domain age. Domain age gives more values as it gives more room for appreciation and maturity - trust in business. If hotels or hotel.com are to be sold today, their price can not be as it was bought when it was sold.

Last edited:
•••
Domain age gives more values as it gives more room for appreciation and maturity - trust in business.
Trust in business for whom? End users don't check domain name age before using the website ;)
Besides, even where age can affect value (and it sometimes does) I don't believe it's that black and white, and depends on various factors - the domain name, niche, keywords, etc.

fgh58-djt4-09jdklfsmds-435-gjktisndsf546.com could be 15 years old, and would still be worthless ;)

If hotels or hotel.com are to be sold today, their price can not be as it was bought when it was sold.
Are you saying it would be less? Or more due to it being older?
I don't think the value of those specific domain names would change due to "length of time registered", more likely an increase in value due to there being more businesses to buy it, and more awareness/brand requirements with domain names in general now.

•••
Nice post, Yes valuable domains are valuable but I disagreed to an extent with point one about the domain age. Domain age gives more values as it gives more room for appreciation and maturity - trust in business. If hotels or hotel.com are to be sold today, their price can not be as it was bought when it was sold.

if hotels.com drops today and is re-registered and 1 day old, value will not change at all.

if I register dfjfv4898r49jfrfjrfrkkj.com today and wait 10 years it will still be worthless.

Last edited:
•••
Domain age gives more values as it gives more room for appreciation and maturity - trust in business

What cutoff age would you take ? 5 years ? 10 years ?

As I said earlier, I view more age as an indicator for further investigation. But it may also give some reinsurrance to the domain buyer.

•••
We are talking of valuable domains, the scraps will ever remains scraps but when valuable domain has more age on its side, such will be more valuable than when first regged it. Like it or not that is absolute fact.

•••
when valuable domain has more age on its side, such will be more valuable than when first regged it. Like it or not that is absolute fact.
So "hotels.com" is worth more as an 8 year old domain name than it is as a 2 year old domain name? (With all other things being equal - total hotel businesses, internet age, etc etc)

•••
very good information. I have a question where is the best places to promote your listing's. I have been promoting here on namepros and domainsate but i dont fell like my auction at flippa for cher.io and ggw.io are getting to much attention and i do know that the domains are worth good money. not because they have high appraisal but for other reason's has well.

so can some one give me good tips on where to promote my cher.io and ggw.io auctions??

•••
#2 is my favorite/favourite. Take the money and work on next deal. Or as the old saying goes.."A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"

•••
We are talking of valuable domains, the scraps will ever remains scraps but when valuable domain has more age on its side, such will be more valuable than when first regged it. Like it or not that is absolute fact.

I really don't see how age could even slightly influence the price of a good domain such as keywordtool.com dogtraining.com or babyfood.com

I think on the contrary that the less valuable a domain is the more its price can be influenced by the age.

With a few exceptions, nobody is going to renew a crappy domain for 5 or 10 years. The only reason I can think of is for historical brands created long before the internet existed.

•••
•••
myth no 4, name that make no sense sell! it's true, if you don't believe me, just check 4.cn! I am sure you'll find a lot of domain that make no sense!

•••
Lovely post, I'm basically new to domaining and I'm picking up the hard knocks.

•••
3. Good names sell by themselves, no need to promote them
False. That is not the case in business in general and certainly not the case for domains. The world is full with great products that no one buys. Although it is clear that certain valuable names might receive a higher number of offers, promoting them increases the likelihood of selling them exponentially.

Hi

Good names sell by themselves, no need to promote them

i believe that to be true, more so than it is a false assumption

many good names have intrinsic value beyond the respective category, where they may fit.

if they get traffic and produce revenue, then they may not sell as fast as other quality names that don't get traffic....simply because their owners aren't willing to part with them, for the "multiples'" being offered.

but yeah, promoting anything, whether it's "do-do in a can or sparkled hula hoops", can increase likelihood of a sale.
:)

imo.....

•••

If others are disputing a fact, it is only absolute fact to you.

From what I've read here, age seems to be important only to domainers. End-users might care only to the extent that a seller thinks the age of the domain warrants some type of premium and thus makes negotiations tougher.

•••
#2 so true, if you get a deal with a little bit lower price of you selling price, go for it, you never know if you'll get another deal.

•••
Good post!

So what do YOU think is the biggest myth in domaining?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back