Dynadot

First Logo Try

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is my first attempt at a logo in Photoshop for my newly acquired WebDevPros.com. I might use it for a site to showcase my own work, or I might create a forum for web development stuff. Since this is my first attempt...please don't be too brutal! But...what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 114
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. If you have adobe illustrator start using that one instead photoshop.
2. drop the 3d effect and stroke on the text for now
3. some of text on the seal is behind the main text. Fix that problem. Use WebDevPros.com only once on the seal.
4. the font for web dev is too military like. Change it.
5. The font of pros is too thin compared to web dev. You can use different fonts for them but one should not be so dominant over another considering that both are part of the main text. A tagline can be be smaller and thinner. But words within the same term should appear with equally strong.

There is a design contest section in this forum. Enter a few of them to practice and improve your skills.
http://www.namepros.com/design-contests/

•••
You definitely have room for improvement. Currently your logo is a bit hard to read. I think it needs to be simpler. A wordmark (text only is a good approach) - I'd recommend have "WEB DEV PROS" on its own without the URL mentioned anywhere. In general, agree with Erdinc's suggestions - very practical. If you need to find some alternative fonts check out DaFont.com. Dedicated design contest sites like DesignCrowd are another good place to practice your skills and see what other designers are doing.

•••
@Erdinc - I disagree, Photoshop is far more powerful than illustrator, although that effect could be easily achieved in Illustrator. I for one, use photoshop, I just work on a huge canvas. A lot of effects are not achievable in Illustrator, hence why alot of the good pros use Photoshop.

•••
dont use the 3d effect in the logo font. its pretty old stuff.
try to make it simple. If you have a slogan add it below the logo it will look much better and pro.

•••
Yeah that 3e logo fashion has gone. Now everyone likes simple yet awesome designs.
maybe it will take some time for you to create something good

•••
Yeah that 3e logo fashion has gone. Now everyone likes simple yet awesome designs.
maybe it will take some time for you to create something good

you mean 3D ??

•••
Hmm I'd suggest you do what I did when I started. Don't create your own logo. Find any Graphical logo on the net and try to REPLICATE it with every possible element you can get your hands on. This logo has been critiqued well in the above posts, so I won't go in the details of that. But just my 2 cents.

•••
The key mistake that beginners make is using too many effects. Take a look at the most successful logos, you'll notice a pattern, they are very simple.

•••
@Erdinc - I disagree, Photoshop is far more powerful than illustrator, although that effect could be easily achieved in Illustrator. I for one, use photoshop, I just work on a huge canvas. A lot of effects are not achievable in Illustrator, hence why alot of the good pros use Photoshop.

Its not the effects that makes illustrator a better choice, its the fact that illustrator creates vector graphics, and though you can create vector paths in PS, one day you will find yourself in need of a true vector format like EPS, and this can only be achieved through Illustrator. Illustrator is the superior
software when it comes to logo design.

And to the OP, as many have mentioned you have a ways to go. A simple logo is always a better logo. The logo design trends of today do not have as many effects. A simple icon, with soft color gradients, and maybe a reflection.

Always remember that a logo is an element of branding, and branding is how your customers identify your business. One of the most important features of a logo, is simplicity. This is important because you want those that view it, to remember it, and many studies have shown, that a simple logo is more easily identified, than a busier logo.

Good luck with your venture into the design world, its a tough one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back