NameSilo

Finalizing search for Universal WHOIS brand name - WhoQ.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which brand name would you prefer as a highly accurate source for global WHOIS search?

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
I previously announced a search for a brand name for a universal WHOIS.

In the meantime, we have some finalist names. I could use some help selecting a winner for a new global WHOIS search tool that will support both conventional domains and Blockchain domains.

In full disclosure, Epik.com is the buyer for this domain. The solution will address one of the great industry challenges of having WHOIS info hidden due to GDPR compliance making it hard to reach the registrant.

See example:

upload_2019-2-1_16-24-45.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regy is the best name out the bunch...but at the same time I don't think whois search when i hear it. Sounds like a possible registrar lol

I like the idea of something with Q

How about NamesQ.com ?

•••
Regy is the best name out the bunch...but at the same time I don't think whois search when i hear it. Sounds like a possible registrar lol

I like the idea of something with Q

How about NamesQ.com ?

Thanks Rory.

WhoQ.com actually won the poll so we went with it. Short, starts with "Who" and is reasonably brandable. We bought it here on NamePros from @Nem0.

•••
i think using Q as a magnifying glass which is the universal search icon will be nice

whoQ .com

•••
i think using Q as a magnifying glass which is the universal search icon will be nice

whoQ .com

We tested some logo concepts.

upload_2019-3-6_7-38-17.png

The leaders were A4 and A1.

A1 is your magnifier concept but the harder was harder to read.

The project is coming along and we'll be reviewing it with registry stakeholders at ICANN next week with @NickLim and @Sufyan Alani.

•••
The leaders were A4 and A1

Best wishes to you on the new project!

I like the logo on A1 the best but maybe move the mag glass off of the 'o' a bit. I can see a moving graphic on the landing page with the glass moving over all of the letters causing them to enlarge and/or show data as it move across.

Btw, thanks for the added security on epik...quantum computers are going to give us all more grief (as far as keeping data secure) in the near future.

•••
Best wishes to you on the new project!

I like the logo on A1 the best but maybe move the mag glass off of the 'o' a bit. I can see a moving graphic on the landing page with the glass moving over all of the letters causing them to enlarge and/or show data as it move across.

Btw, thanks for the added security on epik...quantum computers are going to give us all more grief (as far as keeping data secure) in the near future.

Thanks Funsky.

On the logo, we may go with A1 -- the poll results were close to a tie but seasoned domainers seem to like the magnifying glass theme.

As for security, in case not aware already, here is a good place to start for comprehensive security:

https://anonymize.com/vpn/

It uses AES-256 encryption, which is quantum-resistant.

Epik has a lot of security features and is, I believe the only supplier that can single-vendor supply from its own verified source, all of these:

• Domain name (Epik)
  • Distributed DNS with DNSSEC (Epik / BitMitigate)
  • Host (Epik)
  • 4096-bit SSL (BitMitigate)
  • Content Delivery Network (BitMitigate)
  • DDoS Protection (BitMitigate)
  • WHOIS Obfuscaction and social engineering prevention (Anonymize)
  • VPN (Anonymize)
Most people likely did not notice that but it really is the full stack. We can even resolve Blockchain domains in 90 ms -- install the Anonymize.com VPN and then pull up any Blockchain domain or Alt-Domain. Folks can also buy Alt-Domains like .IPFS and .TRUTH at Epik and they resolve instantly. With WhoQ, the Blockchain domains and Alt-Domains will have verified ownership records and opt-in chain of title.

Last edited:
•••
So is this new site supposed to retrieve contact info for GDRP redacted and Whois protected domains?

•••
So is this new site supposed to retrieve contact info for GDRP redacted and Whois protected domains?

It will allow verified owners of domains to set policy on how their contact details can be seen and how they can be contacted. We have it mostly built and will be meeting with stakeholders at ICANN in Kobe to review their input prior to putting it live. Some registries and registrars may choose to WhoQ.com as "Whois as a service" and in this case they are indemnified with regards to GDPR compliance since WhoQ manages the record keeping of when registrants opt in to have their data visible. Many registrars and registries simply hide everything because they are scared of compliance breaches however, in the process they have done great damage to the domain aftermarket.

•••
I'm aware that in most cases that whois details are hidden due to GDRP in the whois, but can one opt in again if they want their details to be public?

GDPR only affects registrants who are EU residents, not EU companies or non-EU residents.

•••
GDPR only affects registrants who are EU residents, not EU companies or non-EU residents.

Incorrect -- registries like Donuts hid all the data for all their registries for everyone.

See example:

https://whois.epik.com/acapulco.city

Registrant has no option to expose their contact info -- not even a privacy proxy email. That sucks.

•••
•••
This is their initiative,
but GDPR still concerns only residents of the EU.

If that is what you think in October 2019, you are not paying attention.

•••
Lol at regy, i see different marketing potential, but i like your style; different spelling, but what i think... only concern; either way, better spellin than other def thinking of, for some reason.

Compared others, memorability alone, voted REGY

DNWhois, my close #2... but beware of Whois.com...
similar to concern with ‘domainfllippa’ “flippa”, tho not to that extent... Respect whois, more than “flippa.”
never used whois, than 1 transfer out. Rarely see "Whois DNs” thought they were search..?

"Whois" is ubiquitous with domains, tougher choice, than many realize, but regy is a clean LLLL, pronounceable, barely has attachments, 2 other def.. linked to urban dictionary, for a reason:xf.wink:
"Toki” “Regy” Cmon Rob! universe trying to tell u :.)

EDIT: woah, Ofc didn't see the other LLLL...
Whoq catching eye..not bad.. but i cant change vote,
Nice llll pronounceable cuz 3/4is actual word > regy

Last edited:
•••
•••
It is not what I think, it is what is written in the GDPR.

They could have called it EPDR. They didn't. They called it GPDR. Officially the G stands for General. Unofficially, the G could just as well stand for Global with EU as lead market.

The Chinese also have their Social Credit Score System. The lead market is China. The technology that enabled it was invented in Silicon Valley.

The official narrative will be that it comes here but, no, it was always here, it was just not revealed as the blatant Orwellian implementation that China is rolling out.

There are plenty of mainstream media outlets talking about it:

https://thehill.com/opinion/technol...o-chinas-system-of-social-credit-scoring-than

RDAP is also being designed to let authorized agents -- law enforcement and anyone else -- to punch through the WHOIS privacy proxy and see the source info.

So, yes, under GPDR, it will be harder to Dox people -- whether they be good or bad. It will also be harder to reach people that you want to reach. However, authorized people will be able to find you like never before.

That is what I see. I attend ICANN meetings and am a member of the ICANN Registrar Stakeholder Group, working closely with vigilant ICANN observers. How about you?

•••
T

RDAP is also being designed to let authorized agents -- law enforcement and anyone else -- to punch through the WHOIS privacy proxy and see the source info.

So, yes, under GPDR, it will be harder to Dox people -- whether they be good or bad. It will also be harder to reach people that you want to reach. However, authorized people will be able to find you like never before.

Which basically has the same end result as when you use domain privacy. Exept for the fact that law enforcement can access the info without using any legal pressure. whether this is a good or bad thing is debatable.

I've mentioned it before I think, how come a lot, and I mean a lot, of domainers really appreciate whois privacy services (be it payed or free) but go bonkers over the GDPR? GDPR is not the issue, its the outdated concept of WHOIS.

You're right it doesn't only affect EU citizens though. It also concerns US companies dealing with EU citizens. The rules are hard to grasp. It goes far beyond whois. And I feel for those on another continent who have to adjust to it although I'm 100% for the core goal the GDPR is trying to accomplish.

•••
Excellent choice. Whoq - short to the point quaint expandable etc

•••
Excellent choice. Whoq - short to the point quaint expandable etc

Thanks. Now that the dust is settling on RDAP, I may enlist @Gube to help here as he is already getting quite familiar with that world. Now is the logical time to let domain owners opt in to be contacted, and to set policy on how and under what circumstances the verified domain owner should be contactable and by whom.

•••
Thanks. Now that the dust is settling on RDAP, I may enlist @Gube to help here as he is already getting quite familiar with that world. Now is the logical time to let domain owners opt in to be contacted, and to set policy on how and under what circumstances the verified domain owner should be contactable and by whom.

Looking forward to this. As far as I'm aware Epik is the first to address this matter in a decent and timely manner.

•••
Looking forward to this. As far as I'm aware Epik is the first to address this matter in a decent and timely manner.

It would have been done earlier in the year but RDAP became a moving target. It seems to be stabilizing and so now is a good time to put it back into action while also addressing some of the specific ecosystem challenges of the aftermarket, i.e. making it as easy as possible to contact and pay the verified domain owner for a domain name that you can be confident about which they have registrar control.

•••
It would have been done earlier in the year but RDAP became a moving target. It seems to be stabilizing and so now is a good time to put it back into action while also addressing some of the specific ecosystem challenges of the aftermarket, i.e. making it as easy as possible to contact and pay the verified domain owner for a domain name that you can be confident about which they have registrar control.

Yeah, implementation and adoption wasn't flawless but I always figured it would essentially open up opportunities for aftermarket minded registrars like yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted!

•••
We tested some logo concepts.

Show attachment 111630

The leaders were A4 and A1.

A1 is your magnifier concept but the harder was harder to read.

The project is coming along and we'll be reviewing it with registry stakeholders at ICANN next week with @NickLim and @Sufyan Alani.

A4, but use the distinct left "Q", not boring right one. The key to memory brand "WhoQ" is differentiation; two "Who" and "Q", and that one, takes the cake. Get rid of right Q, replace it with left 1, deserveshis $ for the design of that "Q" alone. why wouldnt you make A4, have two different colors, like in A1, A2? What better way 2 differentiate, than different colors?

If you have to add a question mark, to reaffirm "Q"for question, make located on the right side

Last edited:
•••
It'd be cool to see the mag. glass loop through the "O". Sort of like this....

upload_2019-10-6_17-49-28.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back