Domain Empire

Feedback, Comments & Suggestions : D.C. Forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all designers and contest holders.

For those that don't know, RJ has elevated my mere mortal status by allowing me to look after the Design Contest Forum (DC Forum) within NamePros. I will endeavor to sort any issues out that people have and generally be the "new Sherriff" in town ;) I don't bite, so please come forward and ask, suggest and give feedback on whatever you feel needs to be addressed. All being well, as a community, we can pull together and make this the best DC Forum on the net.

So, let's get down to business :)

From my experiences so far over the last 3 years, I would say there are potentially 3 concerns people have at present.

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1).

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

There are no doubt additional concerns people have, so please, post them within this thread, and I'll modify it as we go along. I'm not expecting all the answers to drop out of thin air and be resolved by the end of the weekend, however, I do think over the next week / 10days, we can get safeties in place to secure everyone involved in DC's. So, let's address the first potential situation:-

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

There have been several suggestions on this situation. It's not an easy one to control and in many cases it is down to common sense and judgment as to whether the thread starter is likely to do this. In the VAST majority of cases, it doesn't as communities like NP will self regulate itself and thus, if someone tries it on, the other members will warn the community. However, it CAN still happen so we at NP are taking suggestions.

The most likely one being considered at present is a form of "Deposit" made by the contest holder. The recommendation is that when a competition is held, %10-20 is held by either a NP staff member or an agreed "Treasurer" of the forums. This obviously ties the contest holder into the thread / contest financially and thus, should eliminate them running off. Then, when the eventual winner is declared at the agreed time, that 10% is passed over to the competition winner as well as the difference paid by the contest holder.

If, in the unlikely instance the contest holder vanishes, either NamePros staff and/or the viewers of the thread can make a vote as to who has the best design and declare a "winner". That person would then receive the deposit as a form of compensation.

Obviously, the person that held the contest and vanished would be banned from the DC Forum and never be entitled to post a contest thread here again. It may be harsh, but a 1 strike ruling tends to get the message out to the community very quickly and efficiently.

Another option that was put forward is to include the above, but also allow people to post in certain "levels" depending on their feedback, trader rating and post count. So, for example:

This would be more of an addition to the deposit aspect; however, it could also become a stand alone requirement if the community feels this is better than a deposit.

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1)

Again, very much linked with the first situation. The only thing to really add to this is that now I'm here as a forum leader, I WILL expect contest holders to stick to the times given in their original post. I will include some guidelines in another thread as to what should be included in ALL design contests. I do appreciate that there are some designs where you really don’t know what your after (especially for logos!) where it's a free reign. That’s fine, however it is imperative that you give feedback to the designers so they can start afresh, modify or leave the contest.

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

In my eyes, and I'm sure most of the designers out there agree, there is nothing more frustrating and down right annoying than a design you have submitted being "used" within someone else’s design and then submitted to the same contest. In all honesty, I have only seen it happen a couple of times in as many years. In the latest instance, it was all settled amicably and monies were shared. However, it should never happen.

So to those out there that may try to do this, please do NOT. Threads and competitions will be monitored fairly well from now on. If it happens, I feel that they have a single warning and the entry is removed immediately. They are not allowed to continue in that thread / contest. If it happens again, they are banned from the DC Forum. There is clearly a large degree of common sense that needs to be used here. I do not want to see people complaining due to someone else using a Circle or a Square. Or they also used a black/white image of a cow that's standard clip art. We're all grown adults here, let's use common sense and all should be well.

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

Again, with 99% of comps, this is rarely a problem. As the contest holder, please respect the fact that all of the designers here put in a lot of their own time and effort in making these designs. They are not paid a commission or a deposit, there is no money for them if they do not win. The least you can do is give some feedback. Even if it's one or two lines just saying "wrong colors, to dark, not getting the message across" it can help the designer improve themselves and the design.

I know some people are very busy, and thus don’t have a lot of time. You managed to make the time to post a thread and hold a competition. Feedback is part of the competition as much as explaining what you are after or making the final payment to the winner. Please remember what I've said above. These guys and gals have spent THEIR time entering a contest as you have ASKED them to.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These are NOT RULES at present. These are Discussion points before we cast them in stone.

Ok, well, that's enough of a first post from me. Please post away in here with your comments, feedback, suggestions and criticisms. That's the point of this thread. As a community, we will find the perfect balance and move the DC Forum to new levels of thrilling contests and superb design work.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Additional Ideas by Members - Open to discussion

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i must agree with Zenius, the centered thing is going to make me sick......... D-:

•••
Suggestion: You must have at least 50 posts to participate.

The reason behind this is to keep people from getting their friends to create accounts just to post a design, so should they not like any of the submitted designs, they have one to fall back on - effectively evading the "you must select a winner" rule.

•••
ZeniusIVanisher said:
also, can we possibly reduce the amount of stickies/announcements? it's getting pretty cluttered in here

I agree with that part, there are like three threads with different rules.

3 pinned threads would be great (feedback, rules and how to watermark your work), less scrolling. :hehe:

•••
There are too many sticky threads, can you start to remove some of them Matt.

Thanks

•••
:D i think matt said that he was going to fix the sticky problem :D

•••
hahaha, cute background, guys :D

•••
^Agree.

And they are tooo many stickies yes.

•••
sorry for the lack of responses recently folks. Things have been pretty hectic, however, there are a couple of things brewing at the present for the DC Forums.

More to come hopefully tomorrow :)

I'll also work on the Stickies and on this thread to give dfeedback and input :)

Nice to see people sticking primarily with the thread format :)

EDIT: I've merged a couple of the threads. Were down to 5 now. TBH, I think these 5 need to be kept. Let me know your thoughts, as you normally do! :)

Rgds
Matt

Last edited:
•••
I think the rules threads could be merged into one developed post that is divided into two sections (contest holder/designer).

Also, is it really necessary to have a thread warning people to stick to the rules? How about enforcing them instead? I think people will get the picture. I'm not saying you don't already enforce the rules, I'm speaking purely in terms of visual implication. Trust that people will read the rules thread and abide by it, or they will face the consequences as implicated in the rules thread. I see it as pointless to caution people into reading the rules, especially by another post directly under it. Does that make sense?

In addition, I think the how-to watermark sticky is long overdue for removal. Think about it, if designers read the rules, they would know they need to watermark their designs and could click a link in the rules thread if they don't already know how to watermark. This would make the rules thread work in a logical fashion, IMO.

Other than that essay on sticky population, I think things are really looking up around here.

•••
beatz said:
- File standards for designers:

There should be a mandatory standard in terms of file delivery and formats.

This means 3 rules:

1) A rule that says if it's a logo contest the logo *has* to be delivered at least in one true vector format like .ai or .eps plus any other format the CH requires (would have to be requested in the standard brief by the CH).

2) A rule that makes it mandatory for designers to post a b/w version of their logo entry along with their original concept and that has to be included in the final file delivery as well.

3) Third rule would be to post and deliver their logo in a spot color version or at least a cmyk-non gradient version as well.

Reason is, i have seen already too many contest entries here where i can assure you the CH won't be happy with their logo because either he one day will realize the format he got the logo in is not resizable without loss (.psd for instance) so it won't be usable for billboard size printing or he will have to realize all the nice gradients in the design will cost him a fortune to print or all the nice (bitmap) drop shadows and blurs wont print on a t-shirt.

Or that the nice colorful logo looks like a muddy piece of dirt when put on a fax sheet because he had no clue that fax machines print colors as either black or white and *not* in greyscale.

And no, it's not the CH's duty to specify the formats and use of a logo really - afterall the CH is not the expert but the designers should be.So it's only fair and professional to have a standard for formats and files in place so the CH can be sure his logo will work in *ANY* situation, even and most important in situations he might not have thought of at the time of posting the contest.

That's basically my suggestions but there might be one or two other ones that i have not thought of, if so i will post them later.

:)

seems like ORDERING whole McDonald happy meal, even if one want to just have a burger.

•••
vivsin said:
seems like ORDERING whole McDonald happy meal, even if one want to just have a burger.

Agreed, I would consider all of those items client requests, because not every client has a need for that type specific of data. Contest holders should be very specific and if not, buyer beware! That's just the way these things work.

•••
Not sure if anyone talked about/said it (its kinda late and im sleepy -_-) can you remove the approval for the old forum members?.. I mean why do we have to wait? :P

•••
I agree with NwS. Members who have been honest should not have to wait for the approval of a contest. Is there some way to auto approve contests by members with a minimum trader rating, reputation, and/or posts?

Thank you,
Borghunter

•••
I will throw this out there, and I have no idea how "doable" this is or even if it's already in effect. Maybe start checking IP addresses when there are new contest holders AND new designers. It has become apparent that you can close anyone's account, but they can simply turn around and open another one.

PS: What ever happened to the contest holder badge? I don't believe I have seen anyone wearing it other than Mark and DomainBell....just wondering cuz it was a nice feature. Maybe you can do the same for designers (Approved Designer).

•••
As a new user, I find that there is very much work involved just trying to find out, if a contest is still going on, was a winner announced, who the winner was, and what the winning design was. I am interested in submitting work into contests that are still running, but, it takes a lot of trouble to find that information out.

•••
What I find interesting is that my contests are never approved. My first one was and evertything went fine and the designer got paid etc. But I'm never allowed to put up my second contest.

Am I that untrustworthy? I have no interest to leave a contest without paying.

GAF Feedback

•••
I agree, sometimes it takes up to a week to get a contest approved which is too long.
I think more moderators are needed in this section for sure.
I have always used GAF for these kind of work but when i found out about this place i pretty much ended GAF.
This forum is great please dont make us use GAF again...

btw how do i become a approved contest holder? i have held around 8 contests already :D

Last edited:
•••
Hello designers and contest holders!

I'm personally taking over the Forum Leader role for the Design Contests forum for the time being. Keep posting comments to this thread if you have suggestions. You're also welcome to contact me directly by PM if any issues arise that need my immediate attention.

RJ

•••
hi,

just a suggestion, it would be nice to have one sticky thread where all designers can put a (just) link to their portfolios.

Because not of all have them in sig.

in past found one nice portfolio, but forgot to bookmark them,
so i read again about 100 or more posts just to find them again
:(

•••
so... where are the contests?

months ago, there were about 2-3 spawned per day. now it's 1-2 per week. why?

•••
things are getting better, keep up the good work :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
Is it just me or does this forum automatically sort by thread title?
I try to change it to "Last Post Time" but it does nothing at all. Extremely frustrating.

•••
•••
Do contest threads need to be approved by a mod or admin? I posted mine a bit earlier and it's not up.

•••
How about we allow contests to be started at the time of the first entry. So the contest holder can say, this contest will run so and so days from the time of the first entry. So that way we wont have people running contests with no entries and then at the end of the contest one person goes and submits an entry.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back