Dynadot

Feedback, Comments & Suggestions : D.C. Forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all designers and contest holders.

For those that don't know, RJ has elevated my mere mortal status by allowing me to look after the Design Contest Forum (DC Forum) within NamePros. I will endeavor to sort any issues out that people have and generally be the "new Sherriff" in town ;) I don't bite, so please come forward and ask, suggest and give feedback on whatever you feel needs to be addressed. All being well, as a community, we can pull together and make this the best DC Forum on the net.

So, let's get down to business :)

From my experiences so far over the last 3 years, I would say there are potentially 3 concerns people have at present.

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1).

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

There are no doubt additional concerns people have, so please, post them within this thread, and I'll modify it as we go along. I'm not expecting all the answers to drop out of thin air and be resolved by the end of the weekend, however, I do think over the next week / 10days, we can get safeties in place to secure everyone involved in DC's. So, let's address the first potential situation:-

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

There have been several suggestions on this situation. It's not an easy one to control and in many cases it is down to common sense and judgment as to whether the thread starter is likely to do this. In the VAST majority of cases, it doesn't as communities like NP will self regulate itself and thus, if someone tries it on, the other members will warn the community. However, it CAN still happen so we at NP are taking suggestions.

The most likely one being considered at present is a form of "Deposit" made by the contest holder. The recommendation is that when a competition is held, %10-20 is held by either a NP staff member or an agreed "Treasurer" of the forums. This obviously ties the contest holder into the thread / contest financially and thus, should eliminate them running off. Then, when the eventual winner is declared at the agreed time, that 10% is passed over to the competition winner as well as the difference paid by the contest holder.

If, in the unlikely instance the contest holder vanishes, either NamePros staff and/or the viewers of the thread can make a vote as to who has the best design and declare a "winner". That person would then receive the deposit as a form of compensation.

Obviously, the person that held the contest and vanished would be banned from the DC Forum and never be entitled to post a contest thread here again. It may be harsh, but a 1 strike ruling tends to get the message out to the community very quickly and efficiently.

Another option that was put forward is to include the above, but also allow people to post in certain "levels" depending on their feedback, trader rating and post count. So, for example:

This would be more of an addition to the deposit aspect; however, it could also become a stand alone requirement if the community feels this is better than a deposit.

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1)

Again, very much linked with the first situation. The only thing to really add to this is that now I'm here as a forum leader, I WILL expect contest holders to stick to the times given in their original post. I will include some guidelines in another thread as to what should be included in ALL design contests. I do appreciate that there are some designs where you really don’t know what your after (especially for logos!) where it's a free reign. That’s fine, however it is imperative that you give feedback to the designers so they can start afresh, modify or leave the contest.

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

In my eyes, and I'm sure most of the designers out there agree, there is nothing more frustrating and down right annoying than a design you have submitted being "used" within someone else’s design and then submitted to the same contest. In all honesty, I have only seen it happen a couple of times in as many years. In the latest instance, it was all settled amicably and monies were shared. However, it should never happen.

So to those out there that may try to do this, please do NOT. Threads and competitions will be monitored fairly well from now on. If it happens, I feel that they have a single warning and the entry is removed immediately. They are not allowed to continue in that thread / contest. If it happens again, they are banned from the DC Forum. There is clearly a large degree of common sense that needs to be used here. I do not want to see people complaining due to someone else using a Circle or a Square. Or they also used a black/white image of a cow that's standard clip art. We're all grown adults here, let's use common sense and all should be well.

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

Again, with 99% of comps, this is rarely a problem. As the contest holder, please respect the fact that all of the designers here put in a lot of their own time and effort in making these designs. They are not paid a commission or a deposit, there is no money for them if they do not win. The least you can do is give some feedback. Even if it's one or two lines just saying "wrong colors, to dark, not getting the message across" it can help the designer improve themselves and the design.

I know some people are very busy, and thus don’t have a lot of time. You managed to make the time to post a thread and hold a competition. Feedback is part of the competition as much as explaining what you are after or making the final payment to the winner. Please remember what I've said above. These guys and gals have spent THEIR time entering a contest as you have ASKED them to.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These are NOT RULES at present. These are Discussion points before we cast them in stone.

Ok, well, that's enough of a first post from me. Please post away in here with your comments, feedback, suggestions and criticisms. That's the point of this thread. As a community, we will find the perfect balance and move the DC Forum to new levels of thrilling contests and superb design work.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Additional Ideas by Members - Open to discussion

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok, this is true, i was just trying to make a point. even if the CH was going give rude feedback, the most the deisgner should do is remember not to enter that persons contests again....

It all comes down to "were all adults here". common sense and curtesy does go a long way.

if the CH skips out ont he contest, i just assume he is either 1) trying to steal ideas or 2) a person with less common sense than brains.

But over all, jackieh, you do bring a good point to the tabel.

Jon

•••
I like the idea of some sort of group, something to make those contest holders stand out. But I dont believe it should be decided apon statistics. They can help, but ultimatly it should be a decision made by one of the mods.

Yes you are right, but the statistics should be a basic requirement before we make considerations if to allow that user into the group.

•••
Jaynesh said:
Yes you are right, but the statistics should be a basic requirement before we make considerations if to allow that user into the group.
Agreed.

•••
What do you all think of the idea that, say Matt, has the power to edit and change contest holders posts so that they follow the template guidelines? Could put in the rules, "Posts are subject to change to follow template guidlines". What do you think?

Quote:
Designers - Watermark your entries. No excuses. They will be deleted on sight.
Thank you.

- SV, taken from the "Subforum Rules" Thread.

Whats everyones thought on that?

Thanks for the comments James. The object of this being in place is so that initially, over the first week or two, people get used to the format of how people's threads/contests are posted. You'll find once the main core of posts on the first page are formatted in this way, when people post new threads, the majority will automaticaly keep to this format.

As for SV's coment, which I know Mark enforces quite heavily, the "jury is out" in my eyes. I think it does make obvious sense to watermark your work. I do know of one instance not 24 hours ago, where someone has had their "concept" design taken, nothing paid for and the logo is now being used on the website. Suprisingly, the person who has "taken" it is non contactable, and has made one post in the forums. This transaction was done in the NP chat room unfortunately and we're doing what we can to help, however, it looks like the designer will end up being out of pocket for $30.00

I think watermarking should be done, and it is down to the designers to do this. However, it should also be optional. There's alot of designs I have done in the past and I have not watermarked them. I've been lucky. Now, I am starting to watermark all designs I put forward. Do remember, these are PUBLIC threads, so anyone can see your design and potentially lift it.

Next Please...

After some thinking, I do have a few suggestions:

1. Contest holders should pay either all cash or all NP$ for contests. I personally am getting fed up with contest holders offering a $5 or $10 prize plus $50 or so in "links". I strongly believe that if a contest holder cannot offer either all cash or all NP$ (NO, not combos of both), then they shouldn't be coming here asking for a freshly designed unique logo.

2. Implement a "one strike you're out" policy for copyright infringement. I have seen countless logos that are ripoffs of other logos which are copyrighted by other companies. For example, there was a contest for a "WIFI Enabled" logo that took place over this past summer. One of the entrants directly copied a logo from another site and passed it off as his own, only adding the "Enabled" text below the original "WI-FI" on the logo. This is by all means illegal, and should NOT be allowed nor tolerated here at all. I personally feel that anybody who excercises such acts should be banned from the forums.

3. Do not allow any posts to be posted within a contest if they are not from the contest holder or entries by designers. If you think about it, anything somebody besides the contest holder would post in a contest topic that is not a submission for the contest could be said through a PM. For example, one user above this post stated that other members offering criticism on logos was not good. I couldn't agree more. The user may influence the contest holder to think differently about a submission. Only allow contest submissions and posts from the contest holder to be posted in a contest thread.

Thanks for reading my lengthy suggestions, but if they are implemented then I am sure this board will become a better, more productive place.

Thanks for the feedback mogbase.

1) I agree to a point on these comments. My personal opinion is that there should ALWAYS be a cash prize. It's like comeing to the forums and saying "I want to swap my 1974 Barry White album for a new logo for my Barry White website". One example of this might be :

PRIZE : $25 or $1250 NP$

The designer should have the choice. I don't believe there should be a problem with having NP$ only competitions, but I would prefer to get everything on the level from the cash side first.

2) Couldn't agree more. I do honestly think that this design was submitted by a member with little or no standing within the NP community. I have noticed there are an increasing number of entries by people with 5-10 posts and 0-1 TR. This is by no means a downside, as it's important to get people into the forums and have fresh new blood offering concepts and works. HOWEVER!, I do agree, if it is found that people have clearly taken another logo and classed it as their own, then the design will be removed, the designer warned officially and negative feedback given. If it happens a second time, THEN they should be banned from NP period, not just the DC Forums (imo).

3) This is quite a hard one to make a judgement call. In many ways I do agree. On the other hand, this is a community and input is always a good thing (as I think I mentioned originally). I'm leaning towards agreeing at this point, as I believe it could be classed as going "off topic" and as others have mentioned, it is down to the competition holder to make/decide the winner and the revisions, NOT a third party. In one such case, the comments made were actually beneficial to the thread starter, however, it does not change the fact it wasn't the thread start who posted them. I'll have a good hard think about this over the weekend, with a view to formalising some rules at the end of the weekend and we can take it from there, although I think this will be included.

Next Please...

Too much crap to read but here's a suggestion per the required feedback:
If I am a contest holder and don't like your design nor want to offer feedback; don't take it personal. I'm not going to waste my time sugarcoating it or telling you how to make your bad design better. If you've got no chance of winning, it's usually obvious.

This is not the kiddy pool. Sure it's a place of learning yada yada, there's plenty of designers here who can offer professional feedback.

This is EXACTLY the kind of response we do NOT need in these forums. If you can NOT be bothered to read through the thread and give your thoughts on an intelligent level, then there is little point even giving you the time of day. However, as a Forum Leader I should give you some response with regards to your comment.

If you do not like the terms of holding a contest in the DC Forum, then please, go post it somewhere else. We have thousands of very happy members of this community who give alot to it. They are all happy to abide by the rules. The fact that there is "to much crap" to read clearly indicates you dont really care for the quality , style and thoughtfulness of this community.

Put simply, if a contest is held within NamePros DC, you WILL decide a winner from the submissions by the NP community. End Of.

Next please...

Comments in relation to DylanButler's post from Jonainmi, Jackie.

Agreed on both counts. Jackie, exactly the point I am trying to make. Feedback takes all of 1 minute to do. If you cant do this, should you really be holding a contest?

Next please...

Devery said:
Jaynesh said:
Agreed.

Indeed. I have already spoken to RJ about this and we are going to try to implement something soon. Yes, the mods would make the call initially. Then, personally, I'm thinking if there are certain people who are providing good comps and the designers believe they should be voted, then we could put it to the designer vote. As I said, hoepfully, we'll be test running this after the weekend. I'm going to find 1-2 contest holders, plus hold one myself, to see if this looks ok and works well and you designers can give us feedback. Hopefully, DomanBell will accept as I have asked for her to be one of the first due to her long standing contests!.

Welp, I think I've covered the nights threads and comments. Anything, post away. The more the better.

•••
First, congratulations Matt. I know you will have your work cut out, keeping so many people happy is a task in itself. It looks like you have things under control so far... great!

Reading through the comments and suggestions made in this thread, I've noticed a few times people saying 'we're all adults here'. I think this is not the the case. It's not a major issue but, dealing with a twelve year old is going to be slightly different to dealing with someone who is a lot older and mature.

As a very new member of NP, I have already experienced a CH 'doing a runner', wasting everybody's time and efforts. Now I'm not totally sure what you need to be a CH but, some sort of registration for the holder would be some security for the designers.
The registration should include a contact address, phone number etc only for forum mods to have access to. The contact address etc should be checkable.
Let's face facts, money is being offered for services, if the service is delivered but there is no money transaction, then who ever has taken the service deliberately without paying, in my eyes, that makes them a thief.
Making sure that the designers know who is a genuine CH, such as an avatar with 'Verified CH Member' under it, is a good idea.

I'm sorry if I have repeated anything that has already been brought up. I, as a designer appreciates ALL the protection offered to me and for my work so the more protection the better.

One quick comment on the public giving feedback on design. Yes it is nice to be complimented on your work by the general public and other designers, but this should be done via pm's. It keeps the CH thread clean and on topic.

•••
First, congratulations Matt. I know you will have your work cut out, keeping so many people happy is a task in itself. It looks like you have things under control so far... great!

Many thanks :)

Reading through the comments and suggestions made in this thread, I've noticed a few times people saying 'we're all adults here'. I think this is not the the case. It's not a major issue but, dealing with a twelve year old is going to be slightly different to dealing with someone who is a lot older and mature.

This is a valid point. It will always be different in dealing with people. You will even find differences in dealing with 2 people the same age, just different nationalities. There will have to be a degree of patience during this "implementation" process and it will be a learning curve, of varying degrees for all involved. Mostly, when people say "we're all adults" I think the direction is more towards "We all have common sense". There is a difference between the two. We'll see what other feedbck is like and put together a stratagy later in the weekend :) If we have to spell it out, in font size 46, then we will :)

As a very new member of NP, I have already experienced a CH 'doing a runner', wasting everybody's time and efforts. Now I'm not totally sure what you need to be a CH but, some sort of registration for the holder would be some security for the designers.

Sorry to hear that. Obviously we will try to stop this from happening as best as possible. The "registration" part is being discussed and I'm a big believer of it...however...keep reading .... :)

The registration should include a contact address, phone number etc only for forum mods to have access to. The contact address etc should be checkable.
Let's face facts, money is being offered for services, if the service is delivered but there is no money transaction, then who ever has taken the service deliberately without paying, in my eyes, that makes them a thief.

Taking personal contact details and storing them means incorporating practices to allow for the Data Protection Act. This causes massive headaches on splitting data, storage and all sorts. It also starts implying we have legal/libel situations and this is obviously something we can not accept at NamePros. I think with carefull moderation from both myself and the ommunity, we should be able to self govern this. It also doesn't hurt using some common sense and speaking to the person holding the comp. in chat, check their profile, see their site, run a google search. It can't hurt and could save some potential pain if they slip through the controls.

Making sure that the designers know who is a genuine CH, such as an avatar with 'Verified CH Member' under it, is a good idea.

As mentioned above. This is being considered and hopefully actioned soon.

I'm sorry if I have repeated anything that has already been brought up. I, as a designer appreciates ALL the protection offered to me and for my work so the more protection the better.

One quick comment on the public giving feedback on design. Yes it is nice to be complimented on your work by the general public and other designers, but this should be done via pm's. It keeps the CH thread clean and on topic.

No worries about the repatition. As a mod, I appreciate everyones comments and thoughts.

As for the comments within a CH thread. This is being bandied around at the moment. The general consensus seems to be "keep it out of the thread and leave it to PM's". If this is the ultimate agreement of the community, then it shall be enforced. We'll see at the end of the weekend :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Next Please...

•••
"keep it out of the thread and leave it to PM's"

I have to agree with this, it is really nice to get feed back form everyone, but lets do keep it to the pm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another note......

About the tidyness of the threads. i belive that all contests that have ended should be deleted. that way we (the designers) can find the contests easier.

Jon

•••
jonainmi said:
"keep it out of the thread and leave it to PM's"

I have to agree with this, it is really nice to get feed back form everyone, but lets do keep it to the pm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another note......

About the tidyness of the threads. i belive that all contests that have ended should be deleted. that way we (the designers) can find the contests easier.

Jon

If you notice, I am going through (slowley atm, as I am at work) the threads and closing those that have been done and completed :)

Thanks for the feedback.
Matt

Next Please...

•••
thank you, sorry, i havnt noticed.

Jon

•••
ive got a qustion about the badge thingys that you are holding a contest for.

Would it be ok for the community to vote on it, to chose which wins?

i just thought it would cool if we got to decide on the badge that we would be looking for.

just a thought.

jon

•••
jonainmi said:
ive got a qustion about the badge thingys that you are holding a contest for.

Would it be ok for the community to vote on it, to chose which wins?

i just thought it would cool if we got to decide on the badge that we would be looking for.

just a thought.

jon

I've given this some considerable thought, and oddly enough it was something I was thinking anyway, however, I'm also concious that it MUST, to a degree, stick with the "style" of the forums. Therefore, I'm proposing that the Admins and Staff pick 2 Tag's and the public then vote for the winner.

Hope this clears it up a little.

MAtt

Next Please...

•••
•••
i completly agree with jackieh1791. I myself as a desginer is a disrespect for the contest holder not to give me feedback just because he did't like my first revision. I believe that the contest holder needs to be fair, every designer learn from the holder's point of view and bring what the holder wants.

My seggestion:
1. No person under 20 posts should be allowd to post a contest because the main problem is scammers come, make an account and then leave and they spam everyone. (this happend to me in my last contest)

2. I suggest atleast one or two new moderators especialy for the Design Contest forum. That way the global mods can work on other places.

What do you think matt?

•••
The-YoungLat said:
i completly agree with jackieh1791. I myself as a desginer is a disrespect for the contest holder not to give me feedback just because he did't like my first revision. I believe that the contest holder needs to be fair, every designer learn from the holder's point of view and bring what the holder wants.

My seggestion:
1. No person under 20 posts should be allowd to post a contest because the main problem is scammers come, make an account and then leave and they spam everyone. (this happend to me in my last contest)

2. I suggest atleast one or two new moderators especialy for the Design Contest forum. That way the global mods can work on other places.

What do you think matt?

Young-Latt, thanks for your feedback.

On the whole, I agree with your initial comment. As per Jackies comments we are lokoing to get contest holders to provide more feedback. It is imperative on 2 levels. 1) for teh designer, 2) for the CH to get the design they want/need.

Comment #1
this is VERY tricky to do. Plus, it would not stop a real scammer from posting various posts that = 20 posts and then enter the DC Forum. We are working on various methds, as mentioned in the above posts. One of these is a deposit system for "unknowns" and a "DC forum ontest Holder Approved" tag for those we know are good, solid contest holders. These awards will NOT be handed out for everyone. It is likely we will hold weekly votes for certain holders to obtain them. With them, will come special privalidges, which, will be defined later.

Comment #2
this will happen. For now tho, I need to gain some order to the forums and have people posting within the required formats. Once there is a level of stability (over the next week or two), then we will look at introducing another mod for these forums.

Hope this answers your comments and questions :)

Matt

Next Please...

•••
Matt said:
The-YoungLat said:

My seggestion:

What do you think matt?

Young-Latt, thanks for your feedback.

On the whole, I agree with your initial comment. As per Jackies comments we are lokoing to get contest holders to provide more feedback. It is imperative on 2 levels. 1) for teh designer, 2) for the CH to get the design they want/need.

Comment #1
this is VERY tricky to do. Plus, it would not stop a real scammer from posting various posts that = 20 posts and then enter the DC Forum. We are working on various methds, as mentioned in the above posts. One of these is a deposit system for "unknowns" and a "DC forum ontest Holder Approved" tag for those we know are good, solid contest holders. These awards will NOT be handed out for everyone. It is likely we will hold weekly votes for certain holders to obtain them. With them, will come special privalidges, which, will be defined later.

Comment #2
this will happen. For now tho, I need to gain some order to the forums and have people posting within the required formats. Once there is a level of stability (over the next week or two), then we will look at introducing another mod for these forums.

Hope this answers your comments and questions :)

Matt

Next Please...
Glad to hear that, i like both of the methods so eather way i can help just let me know.

-Natanael

•••
The-YoungLat said:
Like Matt said, I dont think that will stop scammers. With the new badge system, you will just need to be extra careful with those who do not have a badge, so watermark your work for example.

•••
Just some thoughts...

What about the Contest Holder - (of which I am one)
Having to PURCHASE the contest....

you know how NP sells the little ribbons we can purchase ??

what if there was a menu of different prices $5-up in increments of $5 dollars
and increasing by $5 all the way up to say $500
$5 $10 $1 5 $20 etc...

the contest holder decides the PRIZE amount they want to offer....

they click that dollar amount option in the menu....

a PRE-SET standard form appears....

with the outline and format you already want each contest to have...

and the Contest holder simply answers those questions...

fills in a bit in the comments section...

clicks a button that takes the contest holder to PayPal
where they pay for the contest....

when winner is selected there can be a simple automated system for the contest holder to issue an invoice to pay design-winner so and so in contest such and such - the prize amount of such and such.... and that invoice to pay be automated into the paypal system to pay that winner

it's sounds like a hassel....

but if you know the PayPal system and how to automate things
it'll be much easier than you think...

I personally as a contest holder - have no problem pre-paying for my contests.... and quite frankly any contest holder that does - makes me leary as to are they going to pay our designers...

I've seen our designers be taken advantage of so bad that it really angers me...

I wish it to be more automated...

the approved contest holder button is a good idea... for those that meet a pre-determined set of guidelines... I think those should be something along the lines of:

Contest HOLDER:
Must have been a member of NP for more than 45 days
Must have earned a TR of at least 1
Must have a verified PayPal account

Contest DESIGNER:
Use of copyrighted material - prohibited. - Membership NP-wide terminated on first violation - after all they KNOW when they are thieving - and if they would do it on a design contest - they'd do it elsewhere on NP if given the chance.
All designs must be watermarked or NOT submitted.

The automated contest holder form is what I think will be the easiest way for compliance in format...

Just a few thoughts...
excuse typos and rambling I have the worst sinus headache right now...
I shouldn't even be here typing this right now...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

•••
Pre-paying is an excelent idea, I think. Then there is no doubt a winner will be paid, and if no winner is found, the money can be given back to the holder. The only thing is, this might throw off new contest holders...

•••
Devery said:
Pre-paying is an excelent idea, I think. Then there is no doubt a winner will be paid, and if no winner is found, the money can be given back to the holder. The only thing is, this might throw off new contest holders...

a winner MUST be found.

if the CH has prepaid but hasnt announced the winner, than the mods can decide on who the winner can be ;)

I agree with DomainBELL's idea :)

•••
DomainBELL said:
Just some thoughts...

What about the Contest Holder - (of which I am one)
Having to PURCHASE the contest....

you know how NP sells the little ribbons we can purchase ??

what if there was a menu of different prices $5-up in increments of $5 dollars
and increasing by $5 all the way up to say $500
$5 $10 $1 5 $20 etc...

the contest holder decides the PRIZE amount they want to offer....

they click that dollar amount option in the menu....

a PRE-SET standard form appears....

with the outline and format you already want each contest to have...

and the Contest holder simply answers those questions...

fills in a bit in the comments section...

clicks a button that takes the contest holder to PayPal
where they pay for the contest....

when winner is selected there can be a simple automated system for the contest holder to issue an invoice to pay design-winner so and so in contest such and such - the prize amount of such and such.... and that invoice to pay be automated into the paypal system to pay that winner

it's sounds like a hassel....

but if you know the PayPal system and how to automate things
it'll be much easier than you think...

I personally as a contest holder - have no problem pre-paying for my contests.... and quite frankly any contest holder that does - makes me leary as to are they going to pay our designers...

I've seen our designers be taken advantage of so bad that it really angers me...

I wish it to be more automated...

Firstly, WOW. Thanks for the comprehensive thought put into this DB. In answer to your first point above, I agree. I have already spoken to RJ about this and it is do-able. I think there is likely to be "some" resistance to it, however, time heals all wounds, so people should eventually get used to it. It would probably be set up in a similar basis but probably not so many breaks within the pricing options. RJ hjas confirmed it will also be able to generate a "tag/image" that will automaticaly be included within the thread showing that the money has been deposited. The immediate concerns that arise are :

1) PayPal takes a fee for the money being taken. This would have to be allowed within the contest holder posting their ammount. As you know, $30.00 can turn into $29 allowing for this - I dont think people would have a huge concern KNOWING they would get the money and it's assured.

2) Chargebacks and Fraud
This is something RJ is going to look into. We'll have more information later and closer to the date should this system be implemented.

In reality, having briefly looked at the technical integration, we would expect it to be circa 2 weeks from time of agreement to implement this. It's quite a while, however, it is something that is posatively being looked at.

DomainBELL said:
the approved contest holder button is a good idea... for those that meet a pre-determined set of guidelines... I think those should be something along the lines of:

Contest HOLDER:
Must have been a member of NP for more than 45 days
Must have earned a TR of at least 1
Must have a verified PayPal account

Contest DESIGNER:
Use of copyrighted material - prohibited. - Membership NP-wide terminated on first violation - after all they KNOW when they are thieving - and if they would do it on a design contest - they'd do it elsewhere on NP if given the chance.
All designs must be watermarked or NOT submitted.

The automated contest holder form is what I think will be the easiest way for compliance in format...

Just a few thoughts...
excuse typos and rambling I have the worst sinus headache right now...
I shouldn't even be here typing this right now...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

Your second point is also already being looked at. There would be certain criteria we will implement for anyone to achieve the title of CH Approved. I'm personally thinking of the following :

Contest HOLDER:
Must have been a member of NP for more than 45 days - Agreed
Must have earned a TR of at least 1 - Should be TR of 3+, possibly even 5+.
Must have a verified PayPal account - I dont think that Verified is crucial.
Must have held at least 3 successful pervious Design Competitions - Added
Must be older than 16years of age - Added

As for the comments on a designer requirement, I agree. My only concern is following each entry, on every contest and researching all images used is a massive job. There has to be a degree of common sense here. We will never stamp it out completely, however, I think by making visable examples out of those that have been caught should assist in the self governing aspect. What I want to avoid is people screaming "theif" just to give them a chance of winning or causing delays in the contest.

As for the watermark aspect, well, I think the "removal" aspect is to harsh. The bottom line is that these forums ARE public. If you dont watermark your image, then there is a chance anyone, especially non members, can rip your design and use it. Chances are, with 40billion pages out there or more, you'll never know. If you dont watermark your work, then dont complain. However, this being said, there is no reason why the contest holder can not specify that they will only select a winner from watermarked designs.

Thanks for the input DB :) Hope this covers my thoughts.

Next Please...

Devery said:
Jaynesh said:
Devery said:

a winner MUST be found.

if the CH has prepaid but hasnt announced the winner, than the mods can decide on who the winner can be ;)

I agree with DomainBELL's idea :)

I agree with Jay on this one. I see where James is coming from, but the rules are fairly clear on this. The contest holder MUST select a winner from NamePros AND the contest is not allowed to be held in mulyiple forums, ONLY NP.

With this in mind, the CH must select a winner from the entries in the post. IF your not sure, then put up a general request ni anotehr part of NP :) Enter in the DC Forum, and your bound by those rules. Simple :)

Keep the feedback and thoughts coming folks.

Next Please...

•••
I have a couple of suggestions as well

1. Escrow funds. (already suggested above. But I guess it shd be 100% of the value ).

2. Why dont you implement something like we have on Private-Message-to-Staff section? Only the OP can see all posts in the thread. The designers should be able to see only their designs and the posts of the OP.

This way, it avoids two potential problems:
1. Plagiarism. Designers can't copy others designs or concepts.

2. On-lookers / Guests using the design or the concept in their websites or designs.

Plus, the contest holder may not like these designs being shown in public. He'd probably prefer the designs to be private.

•••
Smooth said:

1. Escrow funds. (already suggested above. But I guess it shd be 100% of the value ).

2. Why dont you implement something like we have on Private-Message-to-Staff section? Only the OP can see all posts in the thread. The designers should be able to see only their designs and the posts of the OP.

2. On-lookers / Guests using the design or the concept in their websites or designs.

Plus, the contest holder may not like these designs being shown in public. He'd probably prefer the designs to be private.

I disagree with suggestion #2. :(

When i am participating in a contest i like to see what i am up against :) and if this was done, designers would not know what is really going on. When CH posts feedback to the designers it gives ALL the designers a little hint in what position they are in to winning the compeition because it allows the designers to see the opponents designs and feedback.

One suggestion could be to restrict guests from viewing the images.

•••
Jaynesh said:
Smooth said:

I disagree with suggestion #2. :(

When i am participating in a contest i like to see what i am up against :) and if this was done, designers would not know what is really going on. When CH posts feedback to the designers it gives ALL the designers a little hint in what position they are in to winning the compeition because it allows the designers to see the opponents designs and feedback.

One suggestion could be to restrict guests from viewing the images.

Thanks for the comments smooth. I would tend to agree with Jay on the first point.

As a designer yes, there is always a chance that you will utilise pagerism within the design, however, there is also a level of common sense. If it happens in a thread, I would expect a designer to notify me within 5-10 mins of the posting. The community is pretty good like that. At this point, I'll check it out and weild the mighty sword of justice ;)

As for comment #2, with Jays thuoghts, that's not a bad option. However, it would only take someone 1 minute to sign up to the site and have a look around. I'll have a chat with RJ and see what can be done.

Rgds
MAtt

Next Please...

•••
I have one more suggestion that could make things much more easier.

The thread title should be updated on all contests depending on the status of the competition

For example:

[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Winner chosen]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Abandoned]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Closed]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Temp closed] or [REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Pending winner]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Under Investigation]

The 'winner chosen' status is just to let everyone know that a winner has been chosen and the compeition is over.

The 'abonded' status is when the CH has abandoned the competition and not paid.

The 'closed' status can be when the CH wants the competition to be closed because no entries have been made.

The 'temp closed' or 'Pending winner' status is when the CH closes the competition temporarally or is not accepting any more entries.
When it is under this status the thread is closed with the entries still inside but no more entries will be allowed in. only the CH will be allowed to post when it is under this status.

The 'Under investigation' status is when we assume something fishy is going on, so the competition is currenty under investigation to find out what is really going on.

•••
the previous comment made above of having ONLY the contest holder and ops able to view the entries... I totally DISAGREE with that idea...

1. I look at ALL contest and entries...
If I see a designers work or style I like - I have on occassion personally contacted them directly and hired them for other projects that I have never bothered to run a contest for.... I have done this on MULTIPLE occassions... that's why I have a pet peeve when designers delete/pull their designs from contests.... they are missing out on a chance for being hired for other projects...
- - - I do however see why a designer might want to pull it to reuse it elsewhere...

2. Other designers need to be able to see their competition... and be able to see what the contest holder is referring to when they make feedback comments... so all can LEARN which direction to proceed...

Hope this helps...

Smile...

oh and I am preparing to launch 2+ more contest in the next day or so...
watch for those.... hugs..

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back